EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   Went from 23 to 28 mpg. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/went-23-28-mpg-30849.html)

Cobb 01-11-2015 05:45 PM

Went from 23 to 28 mpg.

Since Ive owned my suzuki sidekick I get if I am really careful 30 mpg, but on average 23 mpg. I assumed it was part my driving style, 3 size larger tires and 20 psi inflation.

I changed all the gear boxes to synthetic mobile 1 oil, engine to a 5w20 volvine synthetic blend and replaced all the brake parts. Had a frozen cylinder up front. I also went from the auto locking hubs to manual lockers, new speakers and wires. I dont think that did anything, but it was also done. :D

Takes less throttle to go and coasts further. 0-60 seems about the same and I do not FAS. Biggest improvement is I can enter 5th gear at 30 mph and accelerate. Before I had to go almost 45 before entering 5th and if I slowed to 40 had to drop back to 4th to accelerate.

redneck 01-12-2015 09:07 AM

Nearly a 18% improvement. :thumbup:

Now add drag reduction clips to the disc brakes and have the alignment checked.

>

Daox 01-12-2015 09:17 AM

Nice job.

spacemanspif 01-12-2015 09:35 AM

Curious if you have a theory on where the gain was made? Like do you think it was all the locked caliper? Or the new hubs that you are now sure are free wheeling? 18% improvement from new oil would be pretty amazing lol.

Either way, great job putting some maintenance towards better MPG!

Cobb 01-12-2015 05:47 PM

Well, to tell you the truth I wrote off the mpg due to having the tires inflated to 20 psi. I had heard the change from auto to manual locking hubs helps for 2 mpg and I had problems with one sticking and not slipping.

I kind of knew one of the brakes was sticking up front, but I usually engine brake. The engine Ive always used regular oil, but the synthetic mix had a toy car and was 15 bucks for 5 qts, so I couldnt resist. I also no longer have a few drops of oil where I park like before. :thumbup:

My mod for a softer ride was to go to 8 inch wide rims from the stock 6 ones. I found arca racing rims are about the same weight, but made of steel. About 25 lbs is the weight of the alloys. Regular dot approved steelies are like 50 lbs a piece. :eek:

I am running p235/75r15 yoko touring S tires vs the typical off road mud or swamper tires.

dirtydave 01-12-2015 07:54 PM

post a picture please!

Cobb 01-12-2015 08:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Post a photo of my vehicle? As you can see I removed a lot of stuff, lowered it and blocked the grill. :eek:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1421112123

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1421112123

dirtydave 01-13-2015 09:24 AM

Yeah buddy, Looks nice! I like the big tires without being mud tires! perfect fit too!

elhigh 01-13-2015 04:17 PM

Any other aero besides the grille?

I've always kind of liked the Sidekick/Tracker twins. My son isn't a big person and doesn't like big cars, I've thought that an earlier two-door model might suit him, get him above the traffic so he can see while still being a halfway thrifty ride.

spacemanspif 01-13-2015 05:18 PM

Looks like a MB G-wagon with the black paint and tint :)

Cobb 01-13-2015 07:29 PM

I removed the fog lamps, removed roof rack, removed roof molding, removed rear spare tire and carrier, removed trailer hitch, removed front skid plate, removed front sway bar. I went to a group 24 deep cycle battery from a group 51r. Still got the stock 50 amp alt, but I got a 105 amp one to replace it with.

I recently replaced the shoes, drums, brake springs, hoses and front calipers. The rear was missing a spring on each side. One was missing the spring at the bottom that holds the shoes to the pivot pin, the other was missing a spring up top for returning the shoes from the drum surfaces.

Stops on a dime, gives back 9 cents. I like the tires too, they grip well even on slick rainy days.

The ride is weight sensitive as to why I removed the front skid plate. I like to make a copy of the hood in fiber glass and replace it. That hood is big and freaking heavy

Next up is a snorkel as soon as I can pull the trigger on a 3 inch metal hole saw and get the nerve up to drill through the driver side fender. :eek: Then 8 inch wide wheels with same offset and back space so the tires flex more. Then a 1 inch body lift so I get more flexing for a better ride.

I couldnt say about your son. I like driving it as its got a steel frame, bumpers, body and people dont cut me off like they do in the honda cause its a hybrid. When people pass me in this they stay in the left lane vs cut back over in front of me.

Xist 01-13-2015 10:15 PM

Do you have more pictures of your grill block?

Cobb 01-14-2015 09:09 AM

Well, not really. This form only takes low res photos uploads and my new camera is like 5 mb a photo.

The upper and lower are a piece of flashing painted black. The top one is a little loose around the edges and bottom so air can be sucked in. The bottom one covers the middle, but leaves the sides open below the license plate.

I still have the mechanical fan too. Ive wanted to go electric as the engine hums at 3-4 grand down the highway, but havent got around to it. Id like to get some under drive pulleys due to the higher rpms things spin at and maybe delete the power steering.

graysgarage 01-25-2015 11:17 AM

I used to own one of these vehicles, yours looks much much nicer. Good work.