Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2020, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Industrial Designer

Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 52.94 mpg (US)
Covid Project: Restoring a vintage 911 myself. In way over my head.

So when Covid hit and I knew I'd be stuck at home for a while, I finally felt up to tackling the biggest project of my life so far.... fixing my old 911. I bought this car for cheap years ago before the price boom, but then the prices went up so quickly and so much I can't afford pros to service it.

Pretty much everything was wrong with this car; it ran/drove, but the paint was shot, interior was shot, engine was... very very very leaky, transmission had grinds, suspension was worn out, brakes were seized, etc. Over the past few years I fixed the interior, suspension, brakes, but I've been putting off even basic maintenance on the powertrain because it was SO BAD.

Anyway... decided since I have a lot of freetime to do a video series on it. How is this related to eco modder?

2 ways. 1. I drive a hybrid so I can afford parts for this car. 2. Restoring old cars is super green compared to buying a new car.

Anyway... if you want to learn about these things, feel free to check it out.

Here's the intro/overview of everything wrong with my car, and my overall plans (I knew basically nothing about these engines/transmissions at this point, lol)

Episode 2 is dropping the engine/transmission myself, using a motorcycle jack:

Once it was out, the next steps were diagnosing how bad things are, and how much it's going to cost. The biggest thing was my engine case is magnesium, (super soft) and pulled head studs are suppppppeerrrr common on these engines. This was the video where I checked all the head studs, and found some not even attached!

With the headstuds all holding properly, the next thing to do was to diagnose the health of the rings/valves by doing a leakdown test. I used a harbor freight leakdown tester on this so it's a bit.... well... watch the video to find out.

Anyway, I will update this thread with my progress as long as there's interest. Definitely learning a TON on this project!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cash68 For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (08-27-2020), nemo (08-28-2020), redpoint5 (08-27-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Anyway, I will update this thread with my progress as long as there's interest.
I'll follow the story, but I'm not sure why you posted in The Lounge, which is for off-topic stuff. Conserving our air-cooled heritage would be appropriate for Central or DIY. I'm sure the Moderators would move it if you ask.

Old 08-27-2020, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I'll follow the story, but I'm not sure why you posted in The Lounge, which is for off-topic stuff. Conserving our air-cooled heritage would be appropriate for Central or DIY. I'm sure the Moderators would move it if you ask.
True. I'll follow too, for sure. The "Off Topic Tech" subforum might be best, since this is DIY but is an "eco" project in the narrower fuel economy sense. I think any old car reuse has at least some "recycling" cred.

EDIT: and I like your choice not to open up the engine and replace the rings. It runs a d drives and is in acceptable form. Gotta enjoy the ride too, not just look at it in pieces like scupture in your driveway.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 08-27-2020 at 04:40 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Cash68 (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Industrial Designer

Yeah, move it to wherever is appropriate. I wasn't sure if the DIY section was only for ecomodding related content, or whatever. What's 'central' for?
Old 08-27-2020, 09:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash68 View Post
Yeah, move it to wherever is appropriate. I wasn't sure if the DIY section was only for ecomodding related content, or whatever. What's 'central' for?
"Ecomodding Central" is to "discuss everything related to vehicle mods here, from ideas to experiments to results." If you click to "forum" tab above you can see each subform name and short description. Hopefully mods will notice your request to move the thread. Even so, feel free to add to the thread until then, of course.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Cash68 (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Industrial Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
"Ecomodding Central" is to "discuss everything related to vehicle mods here, from ideas to experiments to results." If you click to "forum" tab above you can see each subform name and short description. Hopefully mods will notice your request to move the thread. Even so, feel free to add to the thread until then, of course.
Yeah... but this isn't about ecomodding. Seems sort of off topic compared to discussions about ideas and experiments to maximize mpg. ?

Idk you guys are the experts. :P
Old 08-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Industrial Designer

Pretty nasty.... but if you like powerwashing pron you will dig this episode. Also get to discover if I have an aluminum trans, or an ultra desirable magnesium transmission (30lb weight savings!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Cash68 For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 11:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Congrats on magnesium. ... 1:31... oops! But it all looks much better.

Old 08-30-2020, 12:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
A properly-restored air-cooled 911 is always cool
Old 08-30-2020, 01:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Just how bad is the gas mileage on that thing? It's light and the displacement is fairly modest but the compression ratio is LOW.

Reply  Post New Thread