EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   What to buy? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/what-buy-35819.html)

dawuddustin 11-13-2017 05:09 AM

What to buy?

What kind of bike should i buy? the model please. What would be the most eco-friendly bike that i could purchase?

Fat Charlie 11-13-2017 09:29 AM

A used bike. :)

Welcome!

Stubby79 11-13-2017 09:54 AM

Depends on your driving needs. Generally speaking, you'd want to aim for the smallest displacement that will suit those needs. Of course, not all engines are equal, so it can't be completely simplified to that extent...

Frank Lee 11-13-2017 10:05 AM

Tough to beat a bicycle recycled off a junk pile. That's what I do.

ASV 11-13-2017 01:36 PM

i don't know about that, i have found myself beating a number of junk bikes as i fixem

but for a motorcycle, if you have little experience
the simplicity and low cost of a gy6 150
make for a good start

if you want on the highway then you'll prly want a ninja 250 or a rebel 250
i like the rebel body
but the ninja twin is a really nice motor

Grant-53 11-13-2017 03:07 PM

A 125cc Honda motorcycle is very common in that part of the world. Anything you buy will benefit from a full body fairing system and gear changes. Compare the compression ratio and the weight of bikes you have available.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-13-2017 09:36 PM

First question: where are you going to use the motorcycle? Mostly city? Road? Occasional need for some off-road aptitude?

Second question: is there any 125-150cc motorcycle available with electronic injection there in Sri Lanka?

Third question: are you going to carry a pillion passenger frequently or any overweight load?

dawuddustin 11-13-2017 10:41 PM

1. Mostly its going to be for work, so in the city
2. Yes
3. No Im not going for an overweight load

ASV 11-14-2017 07:52 PM

ha ha:D get a Cub

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-14-2017 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawuddustin (Post 553964)
1. Mostly its going to be for work, so in the city

So it seems like you won't actually need anything greater than 125 or 150cc.

Quote:

2. Yes
What brands offer fuel-injected 125 to 150cc bikes there? Anything similar to the Honda CG 125 and 150 from my homeland Brazil? Or would you prefer something with liquid cooling? Even though there is a fierce debate surrounding advantages of either air-cooling or liquid-cooling when it comes to the overall environmental impact, the efficiency increase and an eventually more effective noise dampening inherent to liquid-cooling are hard to neglect.

dawuddustin 11-14-2017 11:28 PM

TVS
Honda
Suzuki
Yamaha
These are some brands available in sri lanka
I don't know much about bikes but hoping to learn more can you please tell me what kind of advantages and disadvantages the bikes have

Grant-53 11-15-2017 08:52 PM

Most companies have several styles of bikes: sport, cruiser, and dual/off road. Within each class the bikes are very similar mechanically. It may come down to sitting on each make and model to see which is most comfortable. The other consideration is the quality of dealer service and price of parts. If you streamline the bike then you may want to change gearing to run at lower engine RPM to save fuel.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-16-2017 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawuddustin (Post 554062)
I don't know much about bikes but hoping to learn more can you please tell me what kind of advantages and disadvantages the bikes have

It depends on which type of motorcycle you're considering. Basically, I can assume the "universal Japanese motorcycle" could meet your requirements while retaining some acceptable performance for occasional road stretches, while a scooter is more comfortable for city traffic due to the automatic transmission despite being too much "specialized" for that. A greater-displacement scooter might fare quite well on road, but anyway, due to the smaller wheel diameters they don't stand so well to poorly-mantained pavements (or a lack of pavement at all). The so-called "underbone" or "cub" usually has a better balance of ruggedness for unimproved road conditions and comfort in city.

Scooters and "cubs" tend to have lower-revving engines with a horizontal cylinder layout, and a lower output that is also paired with a gear ratio that renders them more suitable to city traffic.

Grant-53 11-16-2017 03:37 AM

Do you know how to shift gears? Left hand: clutch lever and left toe: gear shift.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-17-2017 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant-53 (Post 554143)
Do you know how to shift gears? Left hand: clutch lever and left toe: gear shift.

However, some motorcycles have a different shift pattern. The most usual is the 1st gear being shifted pushing the shifter downward, neutral in-between, and higher gears pulling the shifter. Most of the "cubs" have a "rotary" shift pattern. Some older versions of the Honda CG 125 which had only 4 gears, and their Chinese copies, have an inverted pattern with all the ascending shifts pushing the shifter downward and descending shifts upward.

So, usually the shift pattern is 1 - N - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

ethonof 05-10-2018 07:23 AM

Money spent on bikes is never wasted! Get a nice 'last years' model, decent frame with Shimano 105 group set, comfort geometry and a women specific saddle. Decathlon will have something around £600.