EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   What are currently the most fuel-efficient tires? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/what-currently-most-fuel-efficient-tires-38628.html)

Xist 09-29-2020 10:13 AM

What are currently the most fuel-efficient tires?

I believe that I have always read that Bridgestone Potenza RE92s were the best for Insights, but for mere-mortal cars I remember Michelin Defenders being rated the best. I put those on my Accord when I bought her and wonder whether mine were rated for eighty or ninety thousand miles, while mine are wearing out with far less. I am less than enthusiastic about spending $500+ on tires rated for 80,000+ miles on a car as worn out as my Accord is.

Big O sells Defender T+H MTPs. Is this the fuel-efficient version?

Thanks! Have a great day! :)

Piotrsko 09-29-2020 10:36 AM

I had the Bridgestone ones for a while and was unimpressed. The Golf gets about 50 mpg so we went back to an all season handling tire that doesn't wear well and costs the same as two of your defenders but Gawd are they sticky in the snow which is my priority.

mpg_numbers_guy 09-29-2020 02:45 PM

Michelin Energy Savers were probably one of the best for both fuel economy and longevity. Bridgestone probably wins in terms of LRR and fuel economy but sacrifices a little bit in terms of road noise and lifespan.

19bonestock88 09-29-2020 02:58 PM

I’m on my third set of Hankook Kinergy ST on my Saturn and I’m still happy with their performance. Likely not as good as the Michelins or the Ecopias but good enough for me and not anywhere near Bridgestone or Michelin price

oil pan 4 09-29-2020 03:30 PM

As far as I can tell it's the Mich energy saver all season.
I replaced 2 worn put ecopia tires with new energy savers and saw no reduction in economy or range, then replaced all 4. The leaf is very sensitive to tires.

The road straight up murdered one of my almost new energy saver tires, they were $150 when I got them on ebay not even a year ago. I found them on sale on ebay for $100 each a few weeks ago and got 2.

Fat Charlie 09-29-2020 06:15 PM

I've been a huge fan of Yokohama Avid Ascends for a long time. Good LRR and good wear. YMMV.

RE92s are what came stock on my Subaru LGT. I wound up on Goodyear Assurance Fuel Maxes and loved them. But those wore way too fast on my wife's minivan.

Xist 09-29-2020 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotrsko (Post 632187)
I had the Bridgestone ones for a while and was unimpressed.

One vote against Bridgestone and for... stickiness...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy (Post 632211)
Michelin Energy Savers were probably one of the best for both fuel economy and longevity. Bridgestone probably wins in terms of LRR and fuel economy but sacrifices a little bit in terms of road noise and lifespan.

Energy Savers it is! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 (Post 632214)
I’m on my third set of Hankook Kinergy ST on my Saturn and I’m still happy with their performance. Likely not as good as the Michelins or the Ecopias but good enough for me and not anywhere near Bridgestone or Michelin price

Here friends we have the Hufflepuff Solution!

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 632217)
As far as I can tell it's the Mich energy saver all season.

Two votes for Energy Savers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 632235)
I've been a huge fan of Yokohama Avid Ascends for a long time.

I would say "Forget Energy Savers! I am buying Yokohama Avid Ascends!" but it is still two votes for Energy Savers (although they disagree on the flavor) and one for Avids...

Okay, how do you decide when to replace your tires? I am poor, so as long as I am not doing canyon driving I replace my tires when one fails.

oil pan 4 09-29-2020 10:25 PM

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...8-a-37075.html

Fat Charlie 09-29-2020 10:54 PM

My tires generally don't fail, they wear. When they're low enough that I don't want to start a winter with them, they go- I hate redlining it up the hill to my house in 2nd gear hoping I'll make it home.

Quoth Tire Rack:
175/65/15 delivered to 85901
Yokohama Avid Ascend GT: $98.99 ea.
Michelin Energy Saver A/S $146.89 ea.

That's 396 votes for Yokohama, 589 votes for Michelin, if you're the store.
It's 6 votes for Yokohama and 4 for Michelin if you're the customer's wallet.

They're both 65,000 mile tires. The Michelins need to be 48% more efficient to even think of breaking even over their lifetime because they're almost $200 more expensive on day one. Good luck, Michelin.

oil pan 4 09-30-2020 01:02 AM

I put a pair of the avid GT tires on my leaf it seriously impacted my range.
On anything that burns fuel I use Yokohamas.
Plus you may still be able to get the energy saver tire for around $100