Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2019, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Hasport Project Epiphany 2

Remember that Hasport Insight that rolled at El Mirage in 2013 while going almost 200 MPH? Well here are some close up shots of the wreckage after that scary accident, but better... the driver talking about and beginning his new Insight K-swap.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Linked this in my Insight swap thread a few days back. Pretty crazy crash. Glad he wasn't more seriously hurt.

The K series engines are incredibly engines, and there are a lot of part options for them. Plenty of people build franken-engines for various purposes, mixing and matching OEM parts from various K engines.

There are a half dozen aftermarket engine managements and modifications for the stock ECU, dozens of crank, cam, piston, rod etc. etc. choices. I've seen builds which rev past 12,000rpm, others which use stock blocks and produce over 450HP naturally aspirated, and still others which are in excess of 1000HP with turbos, with *relatively* good reliability - and these are 2.0-2.4L engines - so just extrapolate how reliable they are with light use. In Japan there are a few variants which I want to say can run as lean as 50:1 AFR, have high swirl heads and VTEC systems designed for economy.

The engines feature intake cam phasing, multiple cam profiles on both intake and exhaust, a reliable (life of the engine) timing chain and roller rockers. Some engines have integrated exhaust manifolds. Some have balance shafts, some don't.

Overall they're tough, efficient engines with great aftermarket support, with nearly all parts being interchangeable. It's not hard to build a highly efficient engine at low revs with huge power up the rev band and little to no penalty for doing so. High power engines can also be made more efficient.

The Arial Atom uses a K series, and it's a common swap into the Lotus Elise, which comes from the factory with a Toyota power plant for most years. Basically the LS of 4 cylinders.

The one feature I wish they had is an offset crank.

Last edited by Ecky; 03-27-2019 at 02:15 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Xist (04-04-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
The Insight is a good platform for the engine. Another might be the Ultravan. We had an hit-and-run poster the other day who has one.

It has an aluminum monocoque with fiberglass end caps.