EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Alternative Transportation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/alternative-transportation.html)
-   -   What does YOUR bike weigh? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/what-does-your-bike-weigh-185.html)

AndrewJ 12-04-2007 10:49 PM

What does YOUR bike weigh?

So it occurred to me about 3 minutes ago that I've never weighed my bike, and therefore I have no clue what it weighs. Being ever the slave to my curiosity, I proceeded to grab my bathroom scale, head out into the garage and get my weigh-in on.

So my previous Wild A$$ Guess as to my bikes weight was somewhere between 25-30 lbs.

So I was nearly giddy when I saw good old Margot weigh in at a svelte 43 lbs.
:cool:

I gotta quit pampering my bike so much, at 43 lbs. I can pretty much run it over with a Mack truck and not do any damage. :D

So how much does your ride tip the scales at?

MetroMPG 12-04-2007 10:59 PM

If I'm not mistaken (and I may be... a little foggy on this one), I think my old Pirate Bike is exactly the same weight!

AndrewJ 12-04-2007 11:08 PM

Mystical bicycle convergence?

You be the judge!

:turtle:

MetroMPG 12-04-2007 11:19 PM

Now I have to go weigh it again. (OK, tomorrow I'll weigh it again.)

I already heap abuse on mine: earlier this fall, it slid down a rocky shoreline (steeply sloping shoreline, thus the problem) and fell about 5 feet into the St Lawrence river. I was sitting on a rock about 10 feet away at the time. I laughed. So did a few other people in the park who saw/heard the descent & watched the retrieval process.

Fortunately I was not on it at the time. Also fortunately there was a way down (and up) to the water, and the water wasn't deep.

The latest abuse: I left it out in the open for the first big snow/ice storm, and next time I rode it, the only lever or handle that wasn't frozen solid was the front brake! (Not my preferred choice on snowy roads.)

Lazarus 12-04-2007 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewJ (Post 1366)
So it occurred to me about 3 minutes ago that I've never weighed my bike, and therefore I have no clue what it weighs. Being ever the slave to my curiosity, I proceeded to grab my bathroom scale, head out into the garage and get my weigh-in on.

So my previous Wild A$$ Guess as to my bikes weight was somewhere between 25-30 lbs.

So I was nearly giddy when I saw good old Margot weigh in at a svelte 43 lbs.
:cool:

I gotta quit pampering my bike so much, at 43 lbs. I can pretty much run it over with a Mack truck and not do any damage. :D

So how much does your ride tip the scales at?

Going up hill won't be much fun but the ride down should be pretty quick.

AndrewJ 12-04-2007 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 1372)
Going up hill won't be much fun but the ride down should be pretty quick.

with a 26 tooth chainring on the front and a 34 tooth cog on the back(114.2-20.9 gear inches), uphill is a lot more fun than with my old lightweight singlespeed (75.6 gear inches).

*Gear inches is the distance that your bike moves with every complete revolution of the cranks*

SVOboy 12-05-2007 12:38 AM

My bikes is pretty much a porker at 58cm and 23 pounds! I want it to be sub20 eventually, which I think is decent for a 58cm bike. Oh wellz.

MetroMPG 12-05-2007 01:37 PM

OK, it's not quite in the same league as your 43 lb porker.

37.5 lbs.

Lazarus 12-05-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 1376)
My bikes is pretty much a porker at 58cm and 23 pounds! I want it to be sub20 eventually, which I think is decent for a 58cm bike. Oh wellz.

You would probably be better off buying a sub 20# bike then to try and get the weight off that one. It really gets expensive when you try and put your bike on a weight reduction program. If you look hard you might find one for around $500-700.

Mine comes in just under 21. Woot:)

SVOboy 12-05-2007 04:02 PM

The problem for me is I don't know where the weight it right now. I'm going to get a new set of wheels at some point, which should kick 2 pounds off, but other than that I'm guessing it's just in the frame. I really don't care that much about the weight though, and I like the look of my frame more than the newer carbon frames anyway. *shrug*

igo 12-05-2007 05:23 PM

25lbs with spare tube and frame pump, but my bike is useless for anything except going fast. No rack eyelets and no tires over 28mm.

trebuchet03 12-05-2007 10:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Currently Riding this 'Bent

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1196909575

It's a beast - 45 pounds of cheap imported mild steel :D

When not riding the 'bent... I'm riding this....

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1196910338

No clue how much it weighs... But it's a very old lugged cro-moly frame + the obvious extras :) (It is an old picture - I do have brakes and a better seat etc.).

It's not mine (either one), but it gets some use (one in foreground): 2007 UCF HPV
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1196909714

It is also a pig... At 90 pounds :eek: Luckily, most of that is in the fairing - and we're optimizing for weight for next year's HPV.

Trying to Buy:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1196910088

32 pounds (not the lightest - but very nice :) )

Luckily for me - there's no appreciable hills (well, no hills really - just gentle slopes) :D So weight isn't really a factor that concerns me :p

Oh yeah... I like bikes. Especially your not so average variety. I'd commute to school on a penny farthing if I had one :)

MetroMPG 12-05-2007 10:55 PM

Getting OT, but a question for trebuchet:

What's the deal with under seat steering on bents? The only bent I've ridden for any length of time was this BikeE (which was a complete blast), but I have to think that hip level steering would be so much more comfortable. Plus cooler looking.

Is it harder to ride? Less inherently stable, or something?

trebuchet03 12-05-2007 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 1463)
Getting OT, but a question for trebuchet:

What's the deal with under seat steering on bents? The only bent I've ridden for any length of time was this BikeE (which was a complete blast), but I have to think that hip level steering would be so much more comfortable. Plus cooler looking.

Is it harder to ride? Less inherently stable, or something?

USS(under) vs. ASS(above).... It's mostly personal preference. USS puts your arms lower - you could argue it is more ergonomic for that reason. ASS will be more aerodynamic from a frontal area perspective and typically has less components (no need for linkages).

Theoretically, the steering is exactly the same. But at first, you may psych yourself out enough to make your steering a bit wonky.

But just like riding a recumbent in general... It's no more difficult than riding a bike. It's different, yes - but not more difficult :) I personally prefer ASS - I've ridden both (and direct steer - in that velo-trike) - no particular reason though :p

Christopher Jordan 01-08-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebuchet03 (Post 1458)
-

It is also a pig... At 90 pounds :eek: Luckily, most of that is in the fairing - and we're optimizing for weight for next year's HPV.

What a slick "pig": looks terrific!! I have a similarly enclosed trike, but it started out heavy with 3 disc brakes and very heavy frame, then the 3 fairings, then extra bracing, then horn-signals-flag-mirrors-stereo-etc., then a hub motor/batt. Probably will not win any contest unless there is one for weight - 150 pounds.

countersTrike

Lazarus 01-08-2008 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Jordan (Post 4572)
What a slick "pig": looks terrific!! I have a similarly enclosed trike, but it started out heavy with 3 disc brakes and very heavy frame, then the 3 fairings, then extra bracing, then horn-signals-flag-mirrors-stereo-etc., then a hub motor/batt. Probably will not win any contest unless there is one for weight - 150 pounds.

countersTrike

Have a pic of the Trike? :turtle:

Who 01-08-2008 05:21 PM

A couple of 65 cms... One's 29½# and the other is 20# which is pretty good for the frame size, but I've drank from sturdier beer cans. The heavier has a low of 28x28 with the triple but the lighter with its 39x29 gearing still does way better climbing. Did Boston Montreal Boston on the heavier one, but it was probably around 45-50# with all the junk loaded on.

I want a Seven Axiom but I can't convince my better half to hook on street corners so that I could afford it... :p:p

Christopher Jordan 01-08-2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 4617)
Have a pic of the Trike? :turtle:

Many on Frappr (2004 - 2005), but most recent is 2007 on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16584749@N00/2047823631/

And yes, I know I left the helmet on top, and I know I left my foot on the ground- I will never live that down!

countersTrike

AndrewJ 01-08-2008 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Who (Post 4619)
I want a Seven Axiom but I can't convince my better half to hook on street corners so that I could afford it... :p:p

lol, a review of the Axiom on roadbikereview states that it's "reassuringly expensive."

$3200

Yep, thats reassuringly out of my price range.

bradwoodbr 01-08-2008 08:15 PM

Bike weight

In cycling circles it is well known that to reduce weight, the most cost effective is to reduce rider mass. If you are already in the low end of the BMI, well done, then you can start to lighten the bike (IMHO). I used the following order as I wanted to keep the frame.
1. Remove any unnecessary equipment (wide to narrow tyres, racks, heavy repair kit)
2. Lighter versions of big things that spin (wheels, cranks)
3. Lighter versions of little things that spin (hubs, chainrings, clusters, pedals, shoes)

I ride an M5 Shockproof CroMoly 15kg or 33 pounds. It is very comfortable and aerodynamic. I usually ride with other guys on 8 to 12 kg standard frame bikes and can keep up quite well. They are faster up the hills as they are lighter and their bikes are lighter. My total rider bike weight is 100kg. My buddies come in around 80kg.
My current average speed over all terrain is 27kmh (17mph) and is getting better for two reasons. I am losing body weight and I am getting fitter. I also use the rolling momentum down the hill to assist going up the next one as much as possible. Hope this helps. Brad

trebuchet03 01-08-2008 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradwoodbr (Post 4648)
In cycling circles it is well known that to reduce weight, the most cost effective is to reduce rider mass. If you are already in the low end of the BMI, well done...

My BMI is about a half a point below "healthy." It'd probably get back up to "healthy" if I just stopped riding :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradwoodbr (Post 4648)
I ride an M5 Shockproof CroMoly 15kg or 33 pounds. It is very comfortable and aerodynamic.

Now that is a sexy 'bent :)

Quote:

Many on Frappr (2004 - 2005), but most recent is 2007 on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16584749@N00/2047823631/
What materials did you use (especially the shiny stuff :p)?

------
So here's my latest... And final purchase for a long while...

http://forum.ecomodder.com/attachmen...1&d=1199846855

It's a Challenge Distance... The older, slightly fatter variant of the Challenge Seiran

Weight Fully loaded (what you see in the photo plus head/tail lights and mount and fenders).... ~40 pounds - scale isn't exactly accurate. So Vehicle + rider is ~175 pounds (79kg)