EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   At what point do you remove the plates when you sell a car? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/what-point-do-you-remove-plates-when-you-39739.html)

Xist 10-04-2021 09:48 PM

At what point do you remove the plates when you sell a car?

I saw this on Imgur:
https://i.imgur.com/gTBK5Mh.jpeg
"Are all of these sellers flippers?"
Right now the top comment is "That's what a flipper would say!"
Everyone else claims that it is perfectly normal to remove the license plates and make it illegal to test drive the car and take it to a mechanic before buying.

According to the DMV (for states excluding the 12.15% that live in California), the seller is supposed to keep the plate. The buyer needs to drive directly to the DMV, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

Isaac Zachary 10-05-2021 12:01 AM

This person keeps the plate...
Xist for $200...
"Who is the seller?"
Correct! Now for the Daily Double.

I've bought a car as far as Houston, Texas. I drove that car legally from Houston to Colorado with no plates over the weekend. All I needed was a bill of sale and some other paper I had to download from the Texas' DMV website. I crossed two state lines with no worries as I've done this kind of thing several times and when I get pulled over I just show them my driver's license and the bill of sale and I'm good to go.

Xist 10-05-2021 12:05 AM

When I bought Chorizo I drove straight to Kinko's and printed out a temporary plate and proof of insurance.

It seemed faster than being pulled over at least once.

Isaac Zachary 10-05-2021 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 656959)
When I bought Chorizo I drove straight to Kinko's and printed out a temporary plate and proof of insurance.

It seemed faster than being pulled over at least once.

I would have done that had it been a week day. I always call my insurance ahead of time letting them know I might be buying a car.

I once made the mistake of selling a car and not removing the plates. The person who bought it didn't change the plates over and then her 16 year old took the car joy riding and drove it into someone's living room at 2am. I got a sudden wake up knock from the police asking why my car had crashed into someone's house.

Xist 10-05-2021 01:15 AM

There was a point where if I could have snapped my fingers and sent my Subaru into my then-girlfriend's living room I would have.

Police: "Do you think your ex was trying to get back at you?"
[Chuckles] "I don't think she could have pulled it off."

redpoint5 10-05-2021 02:56 AM

I never remove the license plate when I sell. They get that too.

In Oregon, a license plate isn't a legal requirement anymore because it's Mad Max here. Covid caused a supply chain issue with DMV making 12 x 6 inch thin metal plates with numbers, or something, and therefore you can camp and poop on sidewalks, but can't camp in nature, and because that's ok, not having a licensed vehicle is also ok, or something.

freebeard 10-05-2021 05:08 AM

I'd like to find an Oregon buyer for the Dasher diesel, because I put Pacific Wonderland plates on it.

http://media.oregonlive.com/commutin...0413-large.jpg
https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...e_of_oreg.html

Piotrsko 10-05-2021 10:01 AM

In nevada you own the plates, so they come off the car when you sell it and either get turned in or bolted to the replacement. You also have a transport tag, but that's a DMV thing so you can drive a not plated vehicle for 2 weeks just using a bill of sale, owner signed title, proof of current insurance showing the VIN. That does generate a fixit ticket, however.

Previous observations show that if you are in traffic not doing anything differently, you tend to not get noticed. Not sure about solo operations on an empty highway, but figure the rear plate area isn't generally super visible (we are a 1 plate requirement state), also not sure about transport accross different jurisdictions

Isaac Zachary 10-05-2021 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotrsko (Post 656976)
Previous observations show that if you are in traffic not doing anything differently, you tend to not get noticed.

The time I bought that vehicle in Houston and drove over 1,000 miles home I passed several police cars, one time there were three of them on the side of the road, and didn't get pulled over once.

One of my first cars I drove with the plates on and got pulled over because of the expired tag. The officer told me to take the plates off BEFORE pulling out and to just drive without plates and would be fine with the bill of sale.

Anytime I've been pulled over without plates I've been fine with the bill of sale. I've called DMV's and have asked what do they require and have been fine with that

What I'm saying is I've gotten in trouble twice. Once for selling a car with plates and once for buying a car with plates. At least in Colorado, if you want to be ticketed, called into court, and woke up at 2am by the police, buy or sell your cars with plates. The DMV's in three states and the police have all told me not to buy or sell with the plates and that's what I'm doing from here on out.

Plus if I get another vehicle I can use my old plates and it's cheaper that getting new ones.

Xist 10-05-2021 08:09 PM

I just think it is weird to remove the plates before the vehicle is sold.

I always say that I always take a car for a test drive and have a mechanic look at it, but this is the kind of exception that goes without mention:

1997 Toyota Corolla with unspecified miles in Whiteriver for $500

There isn't a license plate, the owner says that it doesn't run and drive, and he doesn't know what is wrong with it. He says that he does have the keys and title, though.

I would need to drive a U-haul over 100 miles.

So, we just received a tornado warning...

Isaac Zachary 10-05-2021 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 656992)
I just think it is weird to remove the plates before the vehicle is sold.

I used to think that way too until I got into trouble for doing it. My suggestion is to call your local DMV and ask what the procedure is. If the DMV says take the plates off, take them off. If they say have a bill of sale or some other paper, get that paper. If they say put peanut butter under the door handles before handing over the keys, do that.

JSH 10-06-2021 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 656965)
I never remove the license plate when I sell. They get that too.

That used to be how things worked in Oregon. The plates stayed with the car. The seller sent in a form or completed it online stating they sold the car and the plates moved to the new owner. It surprised me the first time I bought a car in Oregon because every other state I lived the seller kept the plates.

That changed in 2018. Now you keep the plates as they can't be transferred to a new owner but you can transfer them to your new car.

freebeard 10-06-2021 02:58 PM

Interesting. Wonder if I can swap plates between two vehicles.

JSH 10-06-2021 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 657040)
Interesting. Wonder if I can swap plates between two vehicles.

It will cost you $6 and a stamp (if the registration is current) Details here:

https://www.oregon.gov/odot/dmv/page...istration.aspx

freebeard 10-06-2021 05:15 PM

Quote:

(if the registration is current)
Thanks, there's always a speed bump. I'd like to put the Pacific Wonderland plates on the Superbeetle. Both have expired tags.

I wonder if their lobby is open yet, I should check.

JSH 10-06-2021 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 657050)
Thanks, there's always a speed bump. I'd like to put the Pacific Wonderland plates on the Superbeetle. Both have expired tags.

I wonder if their lobby is open yet, I should check.

You can renew online. My stickers and registration arrived within a week.

redpoint5 10-06-2021 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 657033)
That changed in 2018. Now you keep the plates as they can't be transferred to a new owner but you can transfer them to your new car.

Ah, so that's why my friend gave the plates back to me when I sold to her. Guess I'll reuse 'em when I get another vehicle. The 2006 Acura is the newest vehicle I currently own.

JSH 10-06-2021 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 657056)
Ah, so that's why my friend gave the plates back to me when I sold to her. Guess I'll reuse 'em when I get another vehicle. The 2006 Acura is the newest vehicle I currently own.

It won't save you much if they are expired but $18 is better than nothing.

redpoint5 10-06-2021 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 657058)
It won't save you much if they are expired but $18 is better than nothing.

Mostly I don't want to memorize another license plate, especially since my old one was fairly easy. It was the only one I've memorized so far.

freebeard 10-06-2021 07:39 PM

Quote:

You can renew online. My stickers and registration arrived within a week.
I no longer have a floppy drive slot to stuff the dollar bills into.

redpoint5 10-06-2021 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 657077)
I no longer have a floppy drive slot to stuff the dollar bills into.

I'm frankly surprised you moved away from the gold standard.

Xist 10-06-2021 11:52 PM

Gold standard?! Clearly you think he is more modern than I do!

"That's only worth a goat and a half!" :D

Isaac Zachary 10-07-2021 12:16 AM

I don't pay for plates online because they charge a fee for using a card. So it's either cash or check for me.

freebeard 10-07-2021 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5
I'm frankly surprised you moved away from the gold standard.

Every time I'm at the Post Office i ask the clerk when we will see Postal Banking again.

duckduckgo.com/?q=postal+banking&ia=web

Quote:

Campaign for Postal Banking - Support Postal Banking
Campaign for Postal Banking – Support Postal Banking
Postal Banking is simply the provision of low-cost, consumer-driven financial services via the Postal Service. Products and services could range from check cashing to bill payment to savings accounts to small-dollar loans. Postal Banking will benefit consumers who do not have access to traditional banks as well as those who would prefer a more ...

Postal Banking: What It Is And How It Works
https://lifehacker.com › what-is-postal-banking-1828194701
What Is Postal Banking? Most Americans can rely on direct deposit, debit cards and online bill pay to work seamlessly in everyday life. There might be fees, sure, and most of us could use a few ...

Postal Banking | American Postal Workers Union
https://apwu.org › postal-banking
Campaign for Postal Banking is a coalition of consumer, worker, financial reform, economic justice, community, civic, and faith-based organizations building a campaign-based movement to inform and mobilize the public to call on the United States Postal Service to take the necessary steps to restore and expand postal banking at its branches across the country.

JSH 10-07-2021 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary (Post 657085)
I don't pay for plates online because they charge a fee for using a card. So it's either cash or check for me.

Oregon doesn't charge a fee for using a credit card.

Online transactions have to be much cheaper than paying employees to do what people can do themselves online. I

freebeard 10-07-2021 03:06 AM

Something about smoothening operation of a bureaucracy troubles me. If I can take the time and effort to proffer they can take the time and effort to meet me halfway.

JSH 10-07-2021 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 657090)
Something about smoothening operation of a bureaucracy troubles me. If I can take the time and effort to proffer they can take the time and effort to meet me halfway.

I suppose that works if one is retired and doesn't have to take time off work to drive to the DMV and stand in line.

I prefer to take 5 - 10 minutes to do it online.

redpoint5 10-07-2021 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 657083)
Gold standard?! Clearly you think he is more modern than I do!

He's an interesting combination of being ahead of the times and behind. I mean, paying in Bitcoin isn't exactly mainstream, but perfectly congruent with freebeard's libertarian sensibilities.

We're of the age of having been trained by companies to exchange privacy for convenience. Supplying my email address seamed a good deal to be able to map my travel route back in the day, for instance.

Now look what every app you put on your phone requests. Access location, access contacts, access camera...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 657089)
Oregon doesn't charge a fee for using a credit card.

Online transactions have to be much cheaper than paying employees to do what people can do themselves online. I

It wasn't that long ago Oregon didn't even accept debit. They required cash and had an ATM in the office that charged a huge convenience fee. I always suspected the DMV manager had a brother in the ATM business. I was accepting credit card as a highschooler in 1999 for occasional Ebay transactions, meanwhile every single encounter the DMV has with someone involves a monetary transaction.

freebeard 10-07-2021 02:57 PM

Quote:

He's an interesting combination of being ahead of the times and behind. I mean, paying in Bitcoin isn't exactly mainstream, but perfectly congruent with freebeard's libertarian sensibilities.
Read Satoshi Nakamotot's White Paper after 2008; still thinking about dedicating a computer to a full Bitcoin Node in 2021.

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)". ― Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

redpoint5 10-07-2021 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 657110)
Read Satoshi Nakamotot's White Paper after 2008; still thinking about dedicating a computer to a full Bitcoin Node in 2021.

Apparently I've mined $1,000 worth of Etherium since Feb.

I'm in the process of migrating the GPUs into a more power efficient tower and placing that in my office to keep warm this winter. It'll also be my surveillance PVR, media repository, and gaming rig (not that I have time to game). It's got a RAID controller and 4 hot-swap bays, so it should be quite a monster of a rig.

freebeard 10-07-2021 04:31 PM

How much did the electricity cost?

Running a full node isn't the same as mining. https://www.makeuseof.com/bitcoin-node-raspberry-pi/

Quote:

Why You Should Set up Your Own Bitcoin Node
Unlike cryptocurrency mining, running a node does not provide any material benefit to you. Instead, owning a node provides value to everyone else using the Bitcoin network.

Bitcoin is decentralized, which means no single participant is in charge of verifying new transactions and maintaining a log of old ones. By running a full node of your own, you participate in this democratization of the cryptocurrency and make it more robust, secure, and resilient to attacks.

If you hold any amount of Bitcoin, running a full node guarantees the highest degree of security. Since your machine stores a copy of the transaction ledger, you do not have to rely on a third-party entity to verify the ownership of your tokens.
I have the [somewhat, marginally] persistent connection, but I'd have to share it with web browsing, and videos are challenging at best of times.

redpoint5 10-07-2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 657115)
How much did the electricity cost?

Running a full node isn't the same as mining. https://www.makeuseof.com/bitcoin-node-raspberry-pi/

I have the [somewhat, marginally] persistent connection, but I'd have to share it with web browsing, and videos are challenging at best of times.

Hard to say what it's cost in electricity. $10k out of my pocket for 6.4 kW solar installation.

The hardware is surplus, so free to me there, though I may end up spending some to get 3 identical drives to run RAID 5.

EDIT: My conundrum... I've got a 12 TB, 10 TB, and 5 TB drive, as well as many 1 TB. I need at least 8 TB of space, so RAID 5 with 1 TB drives won't do me any good. I could just JBOD my drives, which is probably what I should do... still I like to RAID 5 when I can. It's saved me twice before with failed drives. Of course, I'll do an independent backup, but I tend to go long periods of time between syncing, so I kinda do utilize RAID somewhat as "backup".

I could commit the unforgivable sin of building a RAID 5 array from mismatched drives. Don't need the performance or maximum storage space, just the redundancy.

... I should probably just Ebay my HD collection and get 3 identical drives.

Piotrsko 10-08-2021 10:19 AM

Been my experience that just a systematic periodic backup on a standalone remote drive beats even a RAID drive. The issue is how often and if it even gets done. The raid drive is doing backup constantly, ok if you have the overhead.

redpoint5 10-08-2021 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotrsko (Post 657161)
Been my experience that just a systematic periodic backup on a standalone remote drive beats even a RAID drive. The issue is how often and if it even gets done. The raid drive is doing backup constantly, ok if you have the overhead.

That's been my strategy.

People will scream that RAID is not backup, but the very first word in RAID is redundant. Just makes life easy when a drive fails, plus the extra performance is a bonus.

I inventoried my drive collection last night, and 1 TB just isn't worth much these days. I can sell each drive for $30, which isn't worth the hassle to me to DOD wipe them, list on Ebay, and ship (eating $10 of the profit). Maybe someone is interested in buying my whole collection so I only have to make 1 listing and 1 shipment.

I'm leaning towards purchasing two more of either my 10 or 12 TB drive and making a proper RAID 5 volume.That would give me 20 TB usable which should tide me over a long time and provide some space to spin up VMs. My tower has 24 cores and 32GB RAM.