EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   What is it? (Spotted: rear engine TDI, custom aero body) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/what-spotted-rear-engine-tdi-custom-aero-body-26074.html)

rjacob 06-04-2013 09:49 PM

What is it? (Spotted: rear engine TDI, custom aero body)

I saw this today on my way home from work.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...32010558_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...14165523_n.jpg

I am guessing something on a VW chassis as it has a TDi tag on the back.

===

Admin edit, June 28: mystery solved - vehicle details in post #103.

Shortie771 06-04-2013 09:58 PM

Looks like a guy who doesn't know to put his phone away while driving... Other than that, it looks like a very nicely modded VWQ TDI. Only thing he needs to change is to get rid of those exterior mirrors and the side vents (unless they are for cooling a rear engine).

MetroMPG 06-04-2013 10:09 PM

Wow. Nice catch! Looks rear engine to me.

fusion210 06-04-2013 10:22 PM

What is it? Awesome.

Shortie771 06-04-2013 10:28 PM

I'm really liking how nice those front wheel covers look. Almost makes me want to do them on my car. I wonder how much those would effect the steering? I never did understand those things.

aktacoma 06-04-2013 10:29 PM

I think I see bucket style headlights??
but cool nonetheless!

mcrews 06-04-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shortie771 (Post 374770)
Looks like a guy who doesn't know to put his phone away while driving... Other than that, it looks like a very nicely modded VWQ TDI. Only thing he needs to change is to get rid of those exterior mirrors and the side vents (unless they are for cooling a rear engine).

Really?????

My first impression is it is pretty well built and pretty well thought out......not like those are fake glue-ons from the auto parts store.....:rolleyes:

And why does he need to 'get rid of the mirrors"??????

Maybe you can post up a side by side ......yours vs his.......:rolleyes:

Frank Lee 06-04-2013 10:39 PM

He wasn't gonna wait for VW to get their XL1 on the market!

gone-ot 06-04-2013 11:13 PM

Notice the fully enclosed front & rear wheel wells!

Shortie771 06-04-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 374779)
My first impression is it is pretty well built and pretty well thought out......not like those are fake glue-ons from the auto parts store.....:rolleyes:

And why does he need to 'get rid of the mirrors"??????

Maybe you can post up a side by side ......yours vs his.......:rolleyes:

I completely agree with you. He has done an extremely good job modifying that TDI and I am sure he has seen great gains from it.

Not saying his mirrors are bad (especially compared to mine), but no exterior mirrors are better than having exterior mirrors no matter how small. My mirrors are terrible for the aerodynamics of my car, that is why I plan to remove them in the future (no side by side needed).

Overall this is a very impressive car and I wish I could see the kind of numbers he puts out, in terms of MPG.

Frank Lee 06-04-2013 11:27 PM

What are the numbers? :confused:

MetroMPG 06-05-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aktacoma (Post 374778)
I think I see bucket style headlights??

I think I see transparent covers over those bucket style headlights...

NachtRitter 06-05-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shortie771 (Post 374770)
Looks like a guy who doesn't know to put his phone away while driving...

... or the driver is waving at the photographer...

NachtRitter 06-05-2013 12:40 AM

Time for the New Yorkers to do some research and get the scoop on this car for the rest of us... :)

Shortie771 06-05-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NachtRitter (Post 374801)

I hope your right. :)

Ryland 06-05-2013 12:59 AM

That is pretty awesome.
I was told that the shape of those side air scoops are a design that is meant to be low drag without turbulence or noise.
The body looks really well done, crisp lines, not like the average one off.

Shortie771 06-05-2013 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 374804)
I was told that the shape of those side air scoops are a design that is meant to be low drag without turbulence or noise.

Definitely well thought out then. He did his homework :thumbup:

jakobnev 06-05-2013 02:37 AM

I think they have been discussed it the aero threads:
NACA duct - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

rjacob 06-05-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NachtRitter (Post 374801)

Looking at the original photo, it doesn't look like there is a phone in his hand. Can't tell if he is waving or even looking at me. Might be blocking the sun from his eyes, or I caught him lowing his hand from blocking the sun.

wdb 06-05-2013 06:57 AM

Nice looking piece! I'd suggest checking the local colleges, universities, tech institutes. (I googled around a bit but didn't find anything.)

rjacob 06-05-2013 07:08 AM

This was in the Rochester, NY area BTW.

Gasoline Fumes 06-05-2013 10:01 AM

My friend saw this too!

MetroMPG 06-05-2013 10:04 AM

This is a fun mystery! Posted to the front page.

I'm sure I'm not the only one questioning the design behind the rear wheels, and would love to know more about the builder's thinking there.

The front & greenhouse looks great, but that "reverse slope" behind the rear wheels raises a red flag as far as conventional low-drag shapes go.

And the soot on the back? Doesn't look like a "Clean Diesel (TM)". :D

NachtRitter 06-05-2013 11:37 AM

Considering the (apparent) quality of the build, it's surprising how little information is available on the 'net... Would love to learn more too!

RealZ28 06-05-2013 11:44 AM

I'm a judge for the upcoming Shriner's charity car show & fundraiser on July 14th (979 Bay Rd Webster, NY). If anyone happens to get a chance to talk to this guy see if he can bring his rig down to the show. I think it would be awesome.

Jethro 06-05-2013 11:51 AM

Looks to have independent rear suspension, leads me to think its not a MKIV VW chassis.
Could be fun to drive around. I always liked the thought of a custom built vehicle like this.

botsapper 06-05-2013 12:38 PM

The only other mid-engine TDI configuration for home builders and tuner shops. Smyth VW Jetta Golf Based Mid Engine Diesel Kit Car not Factory Five Racing FFR | eBay

JasonG 06-05-2013 12:46 PM

I agree the rear slope does look a little too aggressive.
amazing with this high-quality and he's not somebody from here?

Jethro 06-05-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botsapper (Post 374870)
The only other mid-engine TDI configuration for home builders and tuner shops. Smyth VW Jetta Golf Based Mid Engine Diesel Kit Car not Factory Five Racing FFR | eBay

That's just downright nifty! :thumbup:

jamesqf 06-05-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shortie771 (Post 374791)
Not saying his mirrors are bad (especially compared to mine), but no exterior mirrors are better than having exterior mirrors no matter how small.

That kind of depends on your local laws, and law enforcement attitudes. One encounter with a cop who really needs to fill his monthly ticket quota could wipe out a lifetime of aero savings :-(

NachtRitter 06-05-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jethro (Post 374858)
Looks to have independent rear suspension, leads me to think its not a MKIV VW chassis.
Could be fun to drive around. I always liked the thought of a custom built vehicle like this.

Given that it is rear-engined, and assuming that it is a VW TDI, he probably did the same thing that was done for the Smyth G3F ... which is to take the whole front end of a VW TDI (engine, transaxle, suspension) and move it to the back. Like so:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...05741760_o.jpg

The front suspension is retained, with axle removed and steering rods fixed in place... you end up with an MKIV with 4-wheel independent suspension!

See https://www.facebook.com/SmythPerformance for more on the Smyth G3F

JRMichler 06-05-2013 01:15 PM

I like the swing out window ventilation. If he has proper foot well vents, that car will be comfortable inside at outside temperatures over 80 deg F.

pzigouras 06-05-2013 01:53 PM

Sheet Metal

Even my friend who works at a sheet metal shop said that this would not be an easy project to do.... this must have been professionally built.

Fat Charlie 06-05-2013 01:54 PM

Find the IP logs over at www.aerocivic.com/ and see who has visited it most from the Rochester area.

HHOTDI 06-05-2013 01:55 PM

keep your eyes peeled, maybe you'll have the fortune of seeing him again in that area. I have often day-dreamed of something like that. I love my little TDI and could only imagine what it could do in an Insight/Prius or something similar to this one of his! Or, since we are drooling, how about one of the little Lupo motors, the 1.2L TDI...now we're talking cool! WOW :{)

rjacob 06-05-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HHOTDI (Post 374900)
keep your eyes peeled, maybe you'll have the fortune of seeing him again in that area.

If by chance I see him again, maybe I will have time to follow him, and give him a heads up to this site. Maybe he can answer questions. ... Or call the cops because some crazy guy is following him...

artificer 06-05-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 374839)

If the car is based on the G3F, then the engine is a tuned/chipped ALH TDI engine. 250hp with 400ft-lbs of torque when you really step on it, which is where you will get soot. Keeping a light foot on the accelerator will give great mileage, and not produce noticeable soot.

Michael

ali2015 06-05-2013 02:41 PM

Man i love to see this in person! i live literally 30 miles from that area ;).

Frank Lee 06-05-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 374839)

I'm sure I'm not the only one questioning the design behind the rear wheels, and would love to know more about the builder's thinking there.

The front & greenhouse looks great, but that "reverse slope" behind the rear wheels raises a red flag as far as conventional low-drag shapes go.

Did some Googling on it and came up dry.

I saw that too-steep rise behind the rear wheels right off too; it's a shame they did that as the rest of it looks so good.

Could be a student SAE build at one of the local colleges? But then the college name and sponsors would be plastered all over it. Maybe they were testing it and haven't decorated it yet.

HHOTDI 06-05-2013 02:51 PM

we have the picture of the plate...anyone have a friend to run it...just sayin'.... :P