EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   What are your 4 favorite ScanGauge Gauges? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/what-your-4-favorite-scangauge-gauges-10516.html)

armycopter 10-07-2009 09:13 PM

What are your 4 favorite ScanGauge Gauges?

Hi, I recently installed a ScanGauge II and I was wondering what most people put up as their 4 "main" gauges.

So far I'm using:
1. Instantaneous MPG
2. Tank Average MPG
3. Trip Average MPG
4. Gallons of gas used (I think I'm going to change this to gallons remaining).

I'm wondering what else is useful. My car has an automatic transmission.

Thank you

drewwitlin@hotmail.com 10-07-2009 10:31 PM

I like:

MPG - Give the instant MPG

MPH - My Speedo is off 3 miles per hour

TPS - Let me know where my foot is on the throttle, find it the easiest for getting the best mpgs from my car.

WAT - Radiator temp

srortega 10-08-2009 01:04 AM

Ooh...ooh... do tell, I just got my ScanGauge today.

Matt Herring 10-08-2009 01:49 AM

Armycopter,

I'd highly suggest you start using different guages to monitor on your SGII because 3 of the 4 you are using really don't help you WHILE you are driving the vehicle to maximize mpg. They are really just useful for comparing tanks or seeing how much gas you have used (you can always flip back and forth from buttons to see these but don't need them on the screen all of the time as other buttons are more useful while you are driving).

Trip average speed might be a little helpful as a reminder to not drive too fast (I know a few guys that use that SGII feature) but Tank Average MPG and Gallons of Fuel Used are really not ideal for maximizing mpg WHILE you are driving...they are just part of the "game" statistics of hypermiling that you can analyze tank to tank.

I would spend some time with each SGII feature until you understand what each feature represents in your car and how that relates to efficiency in your own vehicle. On your daily commute try a new feature every few days and see which ones make the most sense to use for yourself. Personally, I like to stick with the ones that I feel are most relevant to my own mpg (which is a little different for a hybrid)...

In my Prius I use:

RPM IGN
MPG fWT then GPS

I use RPM because the Prius does not come with a factory RPM guage. I use fWT until the car reaches roughly 160 degrees F which is the point at which EV mode is available...then I switch to Xguage setting GPS which is used in combination with IGN to maximize mpg.

Best of luck with the new SGII...it's a great tool for improving mpg!

srortega 10-08-2009 02:05 AM

/me grabbs the manual to look up some ScanGauge acronyms.

Chalupa102 10-08-2009 03:51 PM

Currently, mine displays:

MPG - for instant real time fuel economy
CFE - current fuel economy (the average MPG for the trip)
GPH - gallons/hr.
fWT - so i can monitor the temp of the engine because i just installed a grill-block

armycopter 10-08-2009 06:54 PM

Ok, I've changed my console to

MPG-Instantaneous
MPG-Trip
LOD- Engine Load
TPS- Throttle position.

I'm trying to understand the relationship between LOD and FE. TPS is fairly straightforward. Generally speaking, the lower the number the better my FE.

srortega 10-08-2009 07:23 PM

I have set mine to:

MPG - Instantaneous MPG - Trip
TPS - Throttle Position GPH - Gallons Per Hour

I am sure it will be different for each person, but it is nice to hear from the more successful folks about what works best for them.

armycopter 10-08-2009 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Herring (Post 132543)
Armycopter,

I'd highly suggest you start using different guages to monitor on your SGII because 3 of the 4 you are using really don't help you WHILE you are driving the vehicle to maximize mpg. They are really just useful for comparing tanks or seeing how much gas you have used (you can always flip back and forth from buttons to see these but don't need them on the screen all of the time as other buttons are more useful while you are driving).

Trip average speed might be a little helpful as a reminder to not drive too fast (I know a few guys that use that SGII feature) but Tank Average MPG and Gallons of Fuel Used are really not ideal for maximizing mpg WHILE you are driving...they are just part of the "game" statistics of hypermiling that you can analyze tank to tank.

I would spend some time with each SGII feature until you understand what each feature represents in your car and how that relates to efficiency in your own vehicle. On your daily commute try a new feature every few days and see which ones make the most sense to use for yourself. Personally, I like to stick with the ones that I feel are most relevant to my own mpg (which is a little different for a hybrid)...

In my Prius I use:

RPM IGN
MPG fWT then GPS

I use RPM because the Prius does not come with a factory RPM guage. I use fWT until the car reaches roughly 160 degrees F which is the point at which EV mode is available...then I switch to Xguage setting GPS which is used in combination with IGN to maximize mpg.

Best of luck with the new SGII...it's a great tool for improving mpg!

Thanks Matt, that makes good sense. I changed some things around today and managed my best ever "trip" mpg on my way home from work today. 42 MPG! It was only 15 miles but that's the best I've done so far.

Matt Herring 10-08-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armycopter (Post 132685)
Thanks Matt, that makes good sense. I changed some things around today and managed my best ever "trip" mpg on my way home from work today. 42 MPG! It was only 15 miles but that's the best I've done so far.

Hey...great job! An all-time high trip from work of 42 mpg is good stuff especially since the weather up here in New England was rather cool today! Guessing that you have your SGII dialed in close to actual mpg that's a good sign your hypermiling is producing fruit.

You will probably see many more all-time high trips until winter sets in...get yourself an engine block heater if you can before the temps drop too much. Since your commute is only 15 miles the EBH can make your cold starts much more efficient over the first couple of miles for you. In my Prius in 60 degree temps I see at least 5 mpg higher in my first 5 minutes vs. a cold start without the EBH...well worth it!

Good luck!