EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   What's everyone's background? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/whats-everyones-background-3227.html)

Blue07CivicEX 06-20-2008 04:46 PM

What's everyone's background?

So, I have been on here for a couple weeks now and read as much in that time as I can and have seen a lot of very intelligent conversations so now the question is, what's everyone do for a living?

I'll start, I am an Electrical Engineer and Computer Systems Engineer and would like to start helping with the mpguino once i get a chance to by the parts and build it

Also, I currently work with two way radios, not much use in our current subject unless it is to recommend a radio that doesn't have a 10' antenna so we can talk to each other lol.

greenwar 06-20-2008 04:51 PM

Software Engineer. My expertise are in Java, Web services.

SVOboy 06-20-2008 04:51 PM

Student!

Blue07CivicEX 06-20-2008 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 36810)
Student!

Lol, what is your particular area of study? Dartmouth eh? Home of Mr. Colbert.

SVOboy 06-20-2008 04:53 PM

Oh, that Colbert and his lies...he didn't actually go to D.

Japanese and Linguistics double major, I am. So nothing car related, :p

AXMonster 06-20-2008 04:54 PM

I started off studying Automotive Engineering Design for 4 years at university, then worked in engine design & development for Ricardo, Ford, Daewoo, Opel, Aston Martin, Jaguar etc

Then became a police officer and I'm now on a firearms team at a certain high security place.

Blue07CivicEX 06-20-2008 04:54 PM

HAHA, that is a very interesting major, I have to say i can ALMOST guarantee I didn't take any classes similar to any of yours :-D

Big Dave 06-20-2008 04:55 PM

Energy and environmental engineer.

Keen 06-20-2008 04:55 PM

Biomedical Materials Engineer. Not all that applicable to this hobby, but it is what it is.

Blue07CivicEX 06-20-2008 04:57 PM

lol, not everyone that wants to save money/fuel/enviroment has to be an engineer or automotive tech I was just curious, look at SVOboy, his major has nothing to do with his hobby yet he's what the originator of ecomodder? or one of?

SVOboy 06-20-2008 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue07CivicEX (Post 36815)
HAHA, that is a very interesting major, I have to say i can ALMOST guarantee I didn't take any classes similar to any of yours :-D

Multivariable calc?

groar 06-20-2008 05:24 PM

Network and computer security...

Current hobby : solar cells. 3kWc will be installed on our roof before the end of the year :-)
Another way to save CO2... in fact in France you mainly save radioactive wastes from Nuclear Plants (75% of french electricity). Happily we have some hydro-plants and are improving the wind-mills.
To save CO2 I'm trying to hypermile (well, at least to caaalm dooown first ;-) and talk about that around me.

Denis.

RH77 06-20-2008 05:30 PM

Pharma Research. 3rd party oversight stuff: data, regulatory, subject rights, etc. Before your doctor rights the script, the med goes through an average of 10 years of testing and research first.

Lots of data and travel...

I really enjoy it, though.

RH77

cfg83 06-20-2008 06:00 PM

Blue07CivicEX -

Computer programmer at standard-issue corporation. I have a BS in Mathematics of Computation emphasizing Statistics, which I basically blew off after college.

Professional Hobby #1 : I have an MA in Architecture Technology, but I was really just a "Programmer in Architecture School" helping the professors run experiments and stuff. I am in no way an architect. I have been helping my architecture professor maintain this program over the last 18+ years :

HEED: Home Energy Efficient Design
www.aud.ucla.edu/heed

It still has a Fortran Calculation Kernel, but the GUI is in Java.

Professional Hobby #2: I practice Tai-Chi. In an ideal world, that would become my last profession.

Professional Hobby #3: Hypermiling?

CarloSW2

trikkonceptz 06-20-2008 06:10 PM

Shade tree Mechanical Engineer,

Worked for Toyota, helped South East Toyota launch Scion in 2004.
Currently work for a Ford Dealership building custom Muscle Cars .. non eco friendly ...lol

Johnny Mullet 06-20-2008 06:13 PM

Certified Heavy Truck and Automotive Tech. I have been turning wrenches all my life and love what I do. I even swing a wrench when online gaming! Here's a video of the Engineer character I play.

http://www.youtube.com/v/NJzRGrQ8_Gs

azraelswrd 06-20-2008 06:19 PM

Hey everybody!

Biologist, part-time teacher and ecologist on the side. Newb to hypermiling but found this site and really opened my eyes. Now my goal is to get my Scion to 40mpg. My current tank is better than what I've been doing (I think ~ looks like 37mpg) but I don't have instantaneous feedback via Scangauge so I rely on tank fillage for my consumption rate and I won't need to refill until next month.

(seriously... one refill a month? Why did it take me so long to figure this out?)

RoboMike 06-20-2008 06:24 PM

Aerospace Engineer and Systems Integration Engineer

Impulse 06-20-2008 07:14 PM

12 volt Installer!!!!

cfg83 06-20-2008 07:38 PM

Johnny M -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet (Post 36838)
Certified Heavy Truck and Automotive Tech. I have been turning wrenches all my life and love what I do. I even swing a wrench when online gaming! Here's a video of the Engineer character I play.

http://www.youtube.com/v/NJzRGrQ8_Gs

Do you watch Ice Road Truckers?!?!?!?! Are the drivers whining when they try to blame the repair dudes (like when broken composite oil pans can't be fixed and batteries fall off)?

CarloSW2

wagonman76 06-20-2008 07:59 PM

Mechanical design engineer for a metal fab shop that builds dust-free loading equipment. Been doing that for 9 years, I also wrote instruction manuals and drew up 3d exploded parts views. Before that I worked at an engineering shop that designed engine block boring/facing machines for the GM/Ford/Chrysler. Associates degree in design engineering, been around metal fabrication my whole life. Always been saver rather than a spender, I would think most of us here are. I like working on my cars, and other odd projects like trailer disc brake conversions, a snowplow for a pontiac 6000 wagon, etc. My daughters mom moved downstate in 03 so I do a lot of running back and forth, but my little girl is worth it. Plus she loves working on things with me, and absolutely loves going to the junkyard.

sickpuppy318 06-20-2008 08:00 PM

Wow, lots of higher education...

I'm a student at Pasco-Hernando Community College here in central florida. Summer is half over, i am looking for a job that'll justify paying a babysitter. I have two children, with one on the way, and they dominate right now. I have 39/60 credits, so that makes like two semesters left before the university, but i can only attend class while my fiance works. So with the new one on the way, i need to work for now.

I'm studying architecture, but automotive engineeering would be my second love.

So here's a question, engineers, what's it like to finally make it through all that school?

88CRX 06-20-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXMonster (Post 36814)
I started off studying Automotive Engineering Design for 4 years at university, then worked in engine design & development for Ricardo, Ford, Daewoo, Opel, Aston Martin, Jaguar etc

Then became a police officer and I'm now on a firearms team at a certain high security place.

Wow you've have a very interesting background...

88CRX 06-20-2008 08:13 PM

Mechanical Engineer
Jobs:
1st - Project Engineer Construction - Renovating buildings
2nd - Aloha Airlines - Airplanes
Now - Navy Shipyard - Submarines

cwarnar 06-20-2008 08:39 PM

Executive Director for a Sport, Culture and Recreation Organization... but I am currently applying for a Police Officer in Regina and Saskatoon for Jan 09.

Vince-HX 06-20-2008 09:00 PM

Professional Fabricator, I specialize in high end forced induction applications.

Also a full time student studying Manufacturing Technology and Management.

BBsGarage 06-20-2008 09:13 PM

UNIX admin, but really Im a car geek that just does computers for a living.

3wheeled 06-20-2008 09:18 PM

Electrical Engineer - Hardware and Software design and develpment
Instrumentation and Controls
C-Programming

3wheeled 06-20-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sickpuppy318 (Post 36865)
Wow, lots of higher education...

I'm a student at Pasco-Hernando Community College here in central florida. Summer is half over, i am looking for a job that'll justify paying a babysitter. I have two children, with one on the way, and they dominate right now. I have 39/60 credits, so that makes like two semesters left before the university, but i can only attend class while my fiance works. So with the new one on the way, i need to work for now.

I'm studying architecture, but automotive engineeering would be my second love.

So here's a question, engineers, what's it like to finally make it through all that school?

An engineering education is simply awsome. It will help you to just plain function better in life. Engineers tend to make most decisions based on the available data - not on pure emotion.

Another thing an engineering education helps with is (in general) seeing through scams and false advertizing. The old lady used to say "Where's the beef?"....we say "what are the facts?" Salesmen hates us.

Best of all, when you see break throughs in science, you really appreciate them for what they are.

Long live the Hubble :thumbup:

Once you get that engineering degree, you find that almost nothing is impossible. You have been trained to figure out what you don't know and how to aquire what you need to know.

Of course the pay isn't bad either.

Did I miss anything fellow engineers?

Blue07CivicEX 06-20-2008 11:36 PM

Nope sounds like you hit it pretty good I like seeing another EE on here too. The type of engineering isn't as important as what you learn and the piece of paper isn't as important as knowing how to build things with your own hands. The best engineers I know were given that title by the company after proving a good working knowledge and ability to problem solve.

Its nice to see all the different backgrounds.

And SVO I was just teasing but yes multivar.:-)

Please excuse typos I am typing on a blackberry.

NeilBlanchard 06-20-2008 11:45 PM

Hello,

I work with DataCAD for architects, and I do some computer building and support.

metroschultz 06-21-2008 12:09 AM

One more Truck Tech

I work as a Lead Truck Technician for the United States Post Office,
Been earning a living repairing automotive products since 1977,
Got my first "Gently Abused" Metro in 1997,
Re-Built and sold over a hundred cars, and a few trucks,
Learned about P&G in 1999, They didn't call it that then though.
Benn stretching Gas Dollars ever since.

SVOboy 06-21-2008 12:20 AM

Blue - I knew we'd taken something in common, :p. I used to be a math nerd.

RH77 06-21-2008 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue07CivicEX (Post 36808)
Also, I currently work with two way radios, not much use in our current subject unless it is to recommend a radio that doesn't have a 10' antenna so we can talk to each other lol.

Do you do HAM stuff? I'm very much a rookie at Amateur Radio. Current equipment 2M/440 Icom HT and a ~75W Kenwood mobile unit with mag-mount. I can generally hit a repeater with the mobile.

Rally Racing is a big hobby -- got me into HAM, then into Storm Spotting and local ARES groups.

Right now, HF is a bit out of my price range and skill level :o

RH77 (KC0WPM)

superchow 06-21-2008 04:22 AM

Landscape architect here. It's the job of a landscape architect to know a little of everything - engineering, architecture, horticulture, planning and people skills. Yeah - gotta work on that last one ^_^

I have a knack for efficiency... make the most with what you've got. For those who didn't read it - I was the dum-dum asking what a 8.0L V-10 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 would yield if modded. But that would be too easy! Blue07CivicEX's results give me renewed hope to reach 50 mpg in my 07 (Alabaster Silver, manual) Civic EX sedan. Must try more P&G, now that I've read about the "gentle way" to restart the engine.

ajax_6531 06-21-2008 04:47 AM

US Marine
Aviation Ordnance Technician
F/A-18 Hornets

Hobbies-
Fixing my cars (because I have too much to fix and not enough money to mod)
woodworking

But, above everything else, I'm a family man - 1 wife (more than enough) and 2 little girls.

SuperTrooper 06-21-2008 08:45 AM

OMG, look at all the engineers! I couldn't help but think about today's Dilbert:

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2008...3539.strip.gif

:D:D:D

I'm an aircraft technician who somehow got lured into environmental engineering. I'm still not sure how that happened.:confused:

regor 06-21-2008 09:15 AM

Let's see, I'm a former night club owner, former National Park Ranger, former politician, former school bus driver (Had to do something after losing the election!), now County Park Ranger.

sickpuppy318 06-21-2008 01:21 PM

I guess that the "Modder" part of "ecomodder" attracts all the tech people and scares away all the veterinarians...

azraelswrd 06-21-2008 02:37 PM

Best mod I've done since I found this place was adjusting the nut behind the wheel. 37mpg... I can almost taste it. The veterinarians will come around in due time... :D