EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   whats so hot about metros? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/whats-so-hot-about-metros-4210.html)

modmonster 07-31-2008 01:20 PM

whats so hot about metros?

do they give the best MPG or are they just the cheapest?:D

MetroMPG 07-31-2008 01:32 PM

Both! :)

You've probably figured out by now they're not the same as the Metro you had/have in the UK. (Rover?)

Schwabe 07-31-2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modmonster (Post 49600)

D

... no AC :D

Daox 07-31-2008 05:09 PM

My two thumbs up go to 1) small engine with a good cam (xfi) and 2) tall gearing. Those two things alone could bring a normal car's mpg up 25%.

modmonster 07-31-2008 06:09 PM

what do you mean by good cam Daox ?

modmonster 07-31-2008 06:10 PM

are the metros all 1L petrol engines ?

Johnny Mullet 07-31-2008 10:13 PM

Most Metro models are the 1.0L 3 cylinder gasoline engine, but some came with the 1.3L 4 cylinder engine. The standard shift 5 speed was best for fuel economy.

A good cam would be a swap from a Metro XFi model which was ground for fuel economy or having your cam reground. There are also lots of other MPG improvements to be made to the Suzuki engine such as and advanced timing gear, ignition timing, exhaust upgrades, etc.

Quote:

whats so hot about metros
40+ MPG easily if it's running right
Really fun to drive
Easy to work on
Park it anywhere
Roomier than expected interior
Good in snow with the stock tires and height
Getting rare in certain parts of US and Canada
Cute?

I am an older guy who used to love muscle cars, but ever since this little car came into my hands, something strange happened to me and this weird addiction with a "piece of crap" is overwhelming. I actually feel like I am 16 again with my very first car.

You either love them or hate them.

MetroMPG 08-01-2008 11:42 AM

When I got Firefly #1, I immediately noticed it was much hotter inside parked in the sun compared to the '89 Accord it replaced.

And it makes sense - the '95s and up have steeply raked front glass, and a high glass to interior volume ratio (higher than the Accord for sure). That's a BAD combination for the old greenhouse effect.

Noel 08-01-2008 03:58 PM

My first metro was a '93... bought it in the winter, figure, naaa, I can live without AC.

WRONG It sucks, my commute includes stopping in traffic.

Took over 6 months on ebay to finally find one that had AC, 3cyl, 5spd that wasn't JUNK. Paied $2900 for it a year ago when gas was ONLY $2ish a gallon.

What I DIDN'T notice, it was rusting from the inside out. Shortly after, what I thought was mild surface rust under the paint, I can stick my finger through the rockers, 6" hole in the back inside wheelwell... It leaks water to the interior, I could never find the leak, so I had to rip out the carpet off the bottom, and drill holes for it to drain when it rains! Then I found the wheel well problem...

I plan on driving this under the doors fall off...... and then I'll just weld them on :)

Luckily, the framework is not too badly rusted, I can still wire brush that and paint before it gets too bad.

igo 08-01-2008 05:21 PM

Well, they get the best mpg of any non-hybrid in America. I would assume that is why everyone here likes them.