EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   What's in a UserName? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/whats-username-4827.html)

Tango Charlie 08-29-2008 03:30 PM

What's in a UserName?

Some of your user names aren't too wild.
MetroMPG
MazdaMatt
bennelson

Some I think just have to have an interesting explanation.
lunarhighway
basjoos
Daox

While others just mystify me.
steensn
groar
cfg83
i_am_socket
tasdrouille
millenniumtree

By nature I'm very curious (okay, nosy) and was wondering who would like to bare their souls and tell us the meaning, if any, behind their handles.
I'll go first. My name is Terry Chupp, so my initials are T.D.C. I thought about going with 'Top Dead Center', but I've been using that on various websites for awhile. Time for something new. My background is aviation, and we used the phonetic, or radio, alphabet quite often. Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, etc. etc. etc. So when you say 'T.C.' phonetically, it's 'Tango Charlie'

There. Your turn. :)

Tony Raine 08-29-2008 03:47 PM

mines pretty easy. my name is Anthony Raine (pronounced "rain") Turturro.

when i first got into internet stuff in middle school, our teachers told us to never use our last name for an email address. they were pretty rabid about it, actually. not really sure why. i guess since the 'net was young and most people didn't really understand it. so that, added to the fact most people call me Tony, i decided on Tony Raine. then it just stuck.

plus it takes a lot less time to type than Anthony Turturro.

cfg83 08-29-2008 03:47 PM

Tango Charlie -

cfg are my initials. They are also (conveniently) a file extension standing for configuration on lots of computer systems, especially Windows. Soooooooo, I get to say I am part of most computer systems today.

I would rather just be "cfg", but someone always gets that before I come along, so I use a high number that I *know* will not be in use by anyone else. I picked 83 because it goes back to DOS filename.extension limitations, 8.3 characters.

CarloSW2
^ my first initial, :)

groar 08-29-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tango Charlie (Post 57172)
Some of your user names [...] While others just mystify me.
groar

short : groar is the shout of Totoro deep inside the forest during full moon nights.

long : Once upon a time... someone gave me the VHS of the movie "Tonari no Totoro" :
Tonari no Totoro
This person loves Japan. I didn't understood anything to this movie, even after seeing it twice, but I know nothing about Japan.
A few weeks later I was looking for a name for an open-source project. When "groar" came in minds I knew it was this one. Later I used this name as a nick and I'm always doing.

Denis.

cfg83 08-29-2008 04:25 PM

groar -

Totoro Rocks (you gently to sleep)!

Catbus!
http://mehveghibli.thibros.com/pics/...char%20(5).jpg

Catbus in reality!
http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images...totoro-van.jpg

CarloSW2

tasdrouille 08-29-2008 04:25 PM

Add a space somewhere along with an apostrophe to my forum handle and you can form "tas d'rouille", a French language expression (probably a province of Quebec regionalism) which literally translates to "heap of rust", or the more commonly used rust bucket.

It's the name my better half uses to refer to my TDI.

RH77 08-29-2008 04:50 PM

I had to come up with something quickly a few years ago for another forum. I know times change, and interests fade, there's only one thing that stays the same...

Intials and Birth Year: R H 77

Nothing fancy...

RH77

SuperTrooper 08-29-2008 05:22 PM

When I belonged to an off-road 4x4 club I had a trail modified '93 Isuzu Trooper that would go anywhere. I would spend a lot of time pulling Jeeps out of mudholes, so the call would go out over the radio to "send the super trooper to the rescue!" and a name was born.

azraelswrd 08-29-2008 05:59 PM

My old username from college, stuck with me ever since. Based on the comic book miniseries "Sword of Azrael" thus azraelswrd though it can be seen as Azrael's word, if you read it that way. I just wanted something different and last I checked, Az just wasn't a super-popular handle waaaaay back when in the early brunch period of the Wacky Wild Web circa 1994.

metroschultz 08-29-2008 07:32 PM

Pretty simple really
Schultz is a nick I picked up working on trucks
Metro is waht I drive and love (I've had at least one in my driveway since 1995)
Schultz out

trikkonceptz 08-29-2008 07:56 PM

trikkonceptz comes from the name of my hotrod and custom bike shop

Trik Konceptz, always liked the name friends still call me Trik.

bgd73 08-29-2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH77 (Post 57208)
I had to come up with something quickly a few years ago for another forum. I know times change, and interests fade, there's only one thing that stays the same...

Intials and Birth Year: R H 77

Nothing fancy...

RH77

same with me. upon digging into the little subes history, my assocation with them for 11 years,73hp and the year about the same for u.s customers and subaru boxer fours. "background '73" :turtle:
I also have one that ended up more like the ham radio reply "best regards" that equals 73, my initials made it seem more obvious...and I am not a Black Gangsta Disciple with a number 73 tattoed anyplace :confused:
Acronym type nicks can say many things..is it ever "correct" to everyone? Nope. :rolleyes:

ROFL Box 08-29-2008 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikkonceptz (Post 57270)
trikkonceptz comes from the name of my hotrod and custom bike shop

Trik Konceptz, always liked the name friends still call me Trik.

No, i think that your just a trik... LOL

Mine should be simple...

ROFL BOX

REALLY OBNOXIOUXLY F*CKING LOUD BOX

look at the license plate

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...lamshow003.jpg

RH77 08-30-2008 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgd73 (Post 57279)
I also have one that ended up more like the ham radio reply "best regards" that equals 73, my initials made it seem more obvious...and

BTW, are you a Ham'er? Rookie here -- KC0WPM / Technician

I could use the phonetic alphabet, but "Romeo Hotel" is a bit cheezy.

The fun part of the assigned station ID is the shortened version is:

"Whiskey Papa Mike" - a bit funnier. Or "Zero Words Per Minute" since I can't decipher a single line of Morse Code...

RH77

bbjsw10 08-30-2008 08:59 AM

Mine is the names of my family Bob, Brandy, Jeremy, 1st last name,2nd last name, and then son's birth day. Kinda confusing for some I would think.

Formula413 08-30-2008 01:36 PM

My Firebird is a Formula (as opposed to a Trans Am). The area code for western Massachusetts is 413.
Formula413
Same handle on LS1tech too.

Will 08-30-2008 01:50 PM

Well, my name is Will.

I guess creativity is something I could use a little more of.

Peter7307 08-31-2008 12:37 AM

Same for me.

My name is Peter and the numbers refer to the postal area code (zip code for our US cousins reading this) I used to live in then I first joined.

Really I am bone lazy and just can't be bothered to think up a razor sharp , witty and socially relevant comment which can also be used as a login identifier.

Cheers , Pete.

Katana 08-31-2008 07:31 AM

I only have 2 user names online, Katana is my preferred one because I have a liking for japanese swords and Morinaka (a japanese bean) is one i use when Katana is already registered.

MetroMPG 08-31-2008 07:38 AM

Terry nailed it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tango Charlie (Post 57172)
Some of your user names aren't too wild.
MetroMPG

I first signed up on GS after someone linked to metrompg.com. Figured it made sense to use the web site name as a username. Bo-oooring.

On teamswift I'm the equally boring "geometro" (though I haven't signed in there for a while).

SuperTrooper 08-31-2008 01:09 PM

Am I the only one who can't wait for basjoos to chime in here? basjoos is now used as a verb here for modifying. I hope I'm not disappointed with the answer.

bbjsw10 08-31-2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper (Post 57703)
Am I the only one who can't wait for basjoos to chime in here? basjoos is now used as a verb here for modifying. I hope I'm not disappointed with the answer.

I believe Basjoos is a type of banana. Let's hope I am wrong though. Takes the excitement right out of it.

greenitup 08-31-2008 05:08 PM

I have very poor creativity, and my first few ideas were used up :(

trikkonceptz 09-01-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbjsw10 (Post 57725)
I believe Basjoos is a type of banana. Let's hope I am wrong though. Takes the excitement right out of it.

Basjoos is a type of banana, their may not be more mystery there ... I believe he owns that type of banana tree.

bikin' Ed 09-02-2008 08:50 AM

After setting the X-Ohio bicycling record I got the local nickname of bikin' Ed.:D

wagonman76 09-02-2008 09:08 AM

Because I was born in 1976 and I have always liked wagons. My first car was an 84 Cavalier wagon. Every vehicle since then has been a wagon except for my Celebrity.

95badbird 09-02-2008 10:36 AM

I started with my username when I first started posting on various websites....and it just stuck.
I also have a 95 Thunderbird.....which "I" think is bad..

Daox 09-02-2008 01:14 PM

Daox has a short and fairly uninteresting story to go behind it.

One day I got internet access and wandered on to MSN's now non-existant gaming zone to play some X-Wing Alliance online. I started the registration process and had to come up with a handle. At this point I don't even think I had an email address. Anway, I starting throwing random letters together until I came up with something that I deemed cool and at that point I had Daox. I have used it ever since (over 10 years now). Its not normally taken from what I've run into. However, there are a few people who have taken the name here and there.

Tango Charlie 09-02-2008 01:21 PM

Ha! I remember that MSN game zone!

Aw shucks, I was thinking that you were some 6 foot-eight basketball player and your teammates called you "Da Ox". :p

Doofus McFancypants 09-02-2008 02:10 PM

Mine is an interesting name - and a rather ODD source.

I am always making up silly songs for my girls ( 5 and 1) - changing lyrics or making up completely new songs. My mother always called me "creative" but i am just plain WEIRD. ( I calculated the day my daughter turned PI years old ( 3.14159 yrs old) and we had Pie to celebrate.. I can send anyone the spreadsheet - all you do is enter date and time of birth and it calculates all your PI Days ( my 11th PI day was June 24 08)

see - is that just weird... well back to the actual post here...

About 2 years ago - wife and i were playing Civilization 3 on the computer.
I has just recieved a Military Leader (1st one for me) and we had to name the person.
I wanted a strong name that would inspire FEAR in my enemies and show that he was the ruler of all!!!

So i typed "Doofus McFancypants"... my wife was actually on the floor laughing..
needless to say he DIED the next turn.. but i though the name was unique - so it has stuck. use it an a few forums.

Just like the Highlander - there can be only one..... Doofus McFancypants.

Steve

SomeOldBlindMan 09-04-2008 01:14 AM

pretty simple.. my eyes are going bad.. have owned glasses for 5 years now, just won't wear them..

also, my handle on BF2 & few other shooters (son got me involved).. thought it hilarious to see "You've been killed by Some Old Blind Man"...

Johnny Mullet 09-04-2008 07:08 AM

Mine is easy to figure out.

bennelson 09-04-2008 09:41 AM

Glad to know I made the short and boring list.

I am a big believer in real-names. It makes it a whole lot easier to remember how to log in to web pages.

I am constantly amazed at how much flaming and rudeness there is on the internet, which I believe mostly comes from the fact that people are largely anonymous.

I have always been a bit sad that nobody has ever given me a cool nick-name.

The closest I ever came was "Like a Ninja".
Me, a friend, and a friend of hers were leaving a party. She was carrying a half-full drink cup, and set it down on the back of a car with a slanty trunk. It was late enough at night that the trunk was covered with dew and very slippery. The cup immediately slide right off the car. I simply continued to walk and ever-so-casually caught the cup right out of the air on it's way to the ground without even thinking about it or spilling a drop.

The friend of a friend then said "Dude, you're like a ninja!"

PS. I also juggle, unicycle, and breath fire.

Tango Charlie 09-04-2008 10:08 AM

I just don't think Fire Breathing Ninja Cat will stick.
The cool things you do with Geo Metros makes up for the sedate handle.
If it makes you feel better, your 'Backyard Inventor' subheading inspired me to change mine.

trikkonceptz 09-04-2008 07:35 PM

Hey Ben ... How about

Voltage Knievel or 48V Knievel, depending on how much voltage the cycle is running?

Or CopperTop Biker ...

bbjsw10 09-04-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikkonceptz (Post 58935)
Or CopperTop Biker ...

Now that is a good one.

Silveredwings 09-04-2008 08:35 PM

Mine lives in the sonnet High Flight: YouTube - High Flight.

or as I remember it: http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/k6LVe...k8ux&related=1

Johnny Mullet 09-04-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennelson (Post 58763)
I also juggle, unicycle, and breath fire.

I knew it :p

RH77 09-04-2008 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveredwings (Post 58954)
Mine lives in the sonnet High Flight

Now I get your old tagline, "Tugging at the Surly Bonds..."

What a great sonnet. To an aviation enthusiast as well, it speaks volumes to my feeling of flight. Not when necessarily when I'm stuck as a passenger in the back of a regional jet, but when I get to ride a different aircraft, see the the sunset's full spectrum of color, or get that rare chance to ride in the right-seat of a Cessna trainer.

RH77

basjoos 09-05-2008 09:13 PM

In my other life I am a plant nut. Basjoo is the species name for a type of banana that can be grown permanently outdoors in places like Chicago where you wouldn't expect to find a banana growing outdoors. I also have one of the largest specimens on the east coast of this banana growing in my garden. I added the "s" to the end as an intentional misspelling to make it come up differently from basjoo in searches. Also I figured this name wouldn't already have been in use.