EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   whats your cold start fuel consumption rate per hour? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/whats-your-cold-start-fuel-consumption-rate-per-24033.html)

ever_green 11-20-2012 11:30 AM

whats your cold start fuel consumption rate per hour?

2.5l engine, im getting about 5 liters per hour or 1.3gph. temprature is around 5'c. warm idle is 0.3gph.

GRU 11-20-2012 12:04 PM

It depends how cold..at about freezing and right after startup, mine is showing about .6 gal/hour and when warmed up about .25

ever_green 11-20-2012 12:17 PM

yes 5'c temp for me which is near freezing. worried my cold gph is too high.

Tonys9 02-03-2013 08:41 AM

Yes I get about 1.5GPH (imp) cold, dropping to 0.3GPH over a few minutes of normal driving or tickover. 2.3L turbo Volvo.

ECONORAM 02-16-2013 05:46 PM

Mine hits 2.35 gal/hr on a cold start, settles down to 1.8 then 1.6 then 1.3 then eventually gets below 1. Once things are fully warmed up, with the truck in drive at a stoplight, it will even settle down below .5 gal/hr. Best I've seen is .43. 4.7L V8 Dodge.

jayliu1984 03-25-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ever_green (Post 340830)
2.5l engine, im getting about 5 liters per hour or 1.3gph. temprature is around 5'c. warm idle is 0.3gph.

Excause me for asking a question not related to topic, but how do you guys measure the rate. Does scangauge or ultragauge give you instant reading on even the smallest fuel comsumption?

I am only asking is because I suspect my idle consumption is very very high. I drove up to the ski resort yesterday and on the way back, I coasted all the way down for 7km and I noticed that needled moved even though I only stepped on the gas pedal twice.

And for my car, which is a 2009 accord, no matter what technique I try, I always end up at 19mpg.

wmjinman 03-25-2013 02:52 PM

Yes, the ScanGauge shows the fuel flow. Actually, your car's compterized system uses it, but the ScanGauge picks up the value & then displays it (scroll through the menu items until you find it)

Using the position of the factory fuel gauge needle to try to judge accurate fuel use is pretty much impossible except for rough approximations (example: usually 200 miles before it drops to 1/4, this time 250 miles = probably better than usual fuel economy on that tank), but that's about as close as you're gonna get without actually filling up at the pump and doing the calculation (or having a calibrated ScanGauge.)

Not sure about your car, but on mine, the fuel gauge needle's position will change depending on what kind of slope the car's on. If I was coming down a mountain from a ski resort, I think my needle would read lower.... then when I leveled-off, it would go back up. (or vice-versa - maybe I'm remembering backwards)

But 19 mpg on an Accord? Sounds like something's wrong - it's constantly running rich or something? Does the exhaust smell really strong? like there's un-burned gas in it or something? I'd think it would be hard to get as low as 19 in that thing unless you're hot-rodding around like "Ricky Racer" all the time.

jayliu1984 03-25-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmjinman (Post 363157)
Yes, the ScanGauge shows the fuel flow. Actually, your car's compterized system uses it, but the ScanGauge picks up the value & then displays it (scroll through the menu items until you find it)

Using the position of the factory fuel gauge needle to try to judge accurate fuel use is pretty much impossible except for rough approximations (example: usually 200 miles before it drops to 1/4, this time 250 miles = probably better than usual fuel economy on that tank), but that's about as close as you're gonna get without actually filling up at the pump and doing the calculation (or having a calibrated ScanGauge.)

Not sure about your car, but on mine, the fuel gauge needle's position will change depending on what kind of slope the car's on. If I was coming down a mountain from a ski resort, I think my needle would read lower.... then when I leveled-off, it would go back up. (or vice-versa - maybe I'm remembering backwards)

But 19 mpg on an Accord? Sounds like something's wrong - it's constantly running rich or something? Does the exhaust smell really strong? like there's un-burned gas in it or something? I'd think it would be hard to get as low as 19 in that thing unless you're hot-rodding around like "Ricky Racer" all the time.

That's the strange thing! I have tried all the techniques I know. P&G, accelerate really really slow, or very brisk, coast in and out of gear, pumped tire all way up to 38PSI.

I can't think of anything now. The rated EPA is 21 in city, I do 100% city but I am very concerned that with all the technique I empoly, it is still below EPA.

Smurf 03-25-2013 06:21 PM

Automatic Accord or manual? If it's a manual and you're only getting 19, something is terribly wrong. Perhaps you could read over the 100+ Hypermiling Tips on the top of the page, then start a thread to help us help you out.

UltraGauge will also do the Gallons Per Hour readout.

Tonys9 03-29-2013 09:24 AM

I have an MPGuino, fuel flow rate (or fuel use) is a requirement to calculate MPG. MPGuino measures it using injector pulse width with calibration for flow rate and delay.

I get a direct readout of GPH.

AFAIK the scan guages do it less directly typically by measuring the manifold pressure and fuel trim and calculating. It needs less calibration but is less accurate than injector pulse measurent IMO. The accuracy seems enough though for well branded units and working engine managements.

An MPG meter will help you assess your engines condition. The MPGuino is only affected by faulty injectors, and fuel pressure faults, and perhaps voltage, whereas the ODB units require the entire management system to be working properly, and is more a driving aid rather than a diagnostic aid. Although they do tend to give out information if the OBD registers a fault, depending on model.

People who have ODBII usually get the Scanguage, its a finished consumer product, the MPGuino is more a DIY kit affair for older cars.