EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Whats your honest reaction to this seat belt commercial ? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/whats-your-honest-reaction-seat-belt-commercial-31720.html)

Cd 04-11-2015 04:03 PM

Whats your honest reaction to this seat belt commercial ?

What is your honest reaction to this seat belt commercial ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-8PBx7isoM

I'm an old man and yet I had tears in my eye ( yes - curiously only one eye :confused: )
after watching this video.
I showed it to two female acquaintances of mine, as well as my sister. They all thought it was touching, but not anything that moved them like it did me.
In fact, one of the ladies commented that she thought it was boring.

Am I an emotionally weak person, and if so, how is that a bad thing ?

redpoint5 04-11-2015 04:32 PM

I find it to be emotionally moving; almost to a tear. It's well done.

People all react differently to different things. A single scenario such as this cannot define your emotional intelligence. Having empathy is a good thing, and is lacking in many people, especially towards strangers.

I would define an emotionally weak person not as someone who has strong emotions, but one who acts based on those emotions without tempering action with reason.

Cd 04-11-2015 04:53 PM

Oh good. I feel more like a man now.
I guess i should go kill something now to make sure i'm a 'real' man.

I found it interesting that the tears were uncontrollable. It just happened.
BTW I'm not familiar with " emotional intelligence " . I had never heard of that.

Xist 04-11-2015 05:15 PM

It resulted in me doing push-ups.
Don't watch commercials at drill, troops!

MobilOne 04-11-2015 11:21 PM

I found it offensive.

Cd 04-12-2015 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MobilOne (Post 475065)
I found it offensive.

Offesnsive ? :confused:

Are you trollin' ?

BTW, I am an extremely 'cold', selfish person. When a close relative of mine ( a child ) was dying in the hospital, I showed no emotion at all, yet tear up at this commercial.

I had it explained to me once that this was a coping mechanism, and it wasn't that i didn't care. When things get too tough to handle, i shut it all off.

To me, that certainly points to an emotional weakness.

One of the women i showed the video to, whom showed no emotion was my ( ex ? ) girlfriend.
She surprised me by laughing at me giving some coins to a homeless man. We had a discussion about it and she admitted that even if this man was indeed homeless and hungry, she did not care.

I've always held the belief that empathy was an ingrained human trait that we are all born with. Studies show that even rats show empathy amongst one another. Do you think that we are all indeed born with the same amount of empathy, and that we lose or gain it based on how we are affected by changes in our lives ?

pgfpro 04-12-2015 02:47 PM

I found it extremely touching.:thumbup:

mikeyjd 04-12-2015 06:25 PM

Very well done

deejaaa 04-12-2015 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgfpro (Post 475142)
I found it extremely touching.:thumbup:

X2.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cd (Post 475141)
........I've always held the belief that empathy was an ingrained human trait that we are all born with. ..........Do you think that we are all indeed born with the same amount of empathy, and that we lose or gain it based on how we are affected by changes in our lives ?

i think it could be possible. ever since i started in my line of work, i find myself to be much colder towards humans. or it could be from age. who knows.

Cd 04-24-2015 05:29 AM

Is empathy a learned emotion ?
If not taught that violence is wrong, i wonder what our true nature would be.
I think back to how cruel that children can be to one another, and especially to animals, such as cats. One fellow i work with killed a cat by placing it in a microwave.
The other day, a random lady at my other (unpaid intern) job whipped into the parking lot and didn't see a light post. She smashed right into it, and badly crushed the front end of her SUV.
My co-workers were just a few feet from her as it happened.
Rather than rushing to see if this woman was alright, they all began to laugh out loud at the woman. She hear everything, and was extremely perturbed.
I'd like to say that I just work with a bunch of jerks, but more and more, I have encountered this lack of compassion for others.
My sister saw a bird in the road once that was flapping around with what she thought was a broken wing. As she she got closer, she could see that someone had cut the birds wings and left it bleeding there.
As she tried to help this bird, she looked up to see that a man was videoing here.
He quickly drove off, and she came to the realization that he was the one that had done this.
I was thinking of why it is that empathy is looked down upon in society, as a feminine trait.
Perhaps it is because in order to survive and thrive as a male ages ago, you couldn't have empathy.
It was survival of the fittest, with brother killing brother.
Manliness is defined as being violent.