Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2008, 01:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

New user intro and pick-up aero modding

Hello everyone!

I've recently been linked to view one of the forum members work on a civic and found this forum that way.

Let me just say that would have probably joined this forum a long time ago had I known it existed, I am definitely into some home brewed radical solutions to problems in order to maximize performance.
I have experimented with aero modding of a car quite a bit, only from a different angle, namely adding downforce to my old racecar.

But, as I see it, modifications done to the car to improve gas mileage isn't that far off from stuff I've been doing in the past and I am ready to tackle some aero work from that direction for change .

And without much more introduction let's go straight into the depth of the brick that I'll be driving soon.

I'm currently looking for a used Toyota T100 to replace my gas chugging GMC Sierra 5.3L V8.
I needed the GMC at the time for towing and work but the needs have changed and I'm now looking for a T100 4 cyl / 5 spd to replace it as I still need that size of PU for work.
Nice thing about the T100 4 cyl (aside of the legends about it living forever) is the relatively good gas mileage of 21 city /25 hwy or so, but, since we're here to discuss aero-modding than here are some of my thoughts -

* An aerodynamic shell, shaped like the back of my wife's 05 Prius.
* Moondiscs on the wheel, subject to verification of sufficient cooling for the brakes.
* Streamlined wheel well at the rear with the aid of a cover, attached with recessed bolts or nuts (whatever will be easier to fabricate).
* Partial smooth bottom and/or front air dam.

Comments, questions or any other piece of info will be appreciated!

Moti

BTW, before someone asks -
Yes, I have searched the forum and yes, I just saw the aerodynamic Toyota T100 that was already built... funny how someone had the same exact ideas and applied them to the same exact truck.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AeroT100.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	254  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-28-2008, 02:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Welcome to the site! I won't pretend to be a truck aero guru, but it looks like you're off to a good start.

Got a scangauge yet?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I better get the truck first (I'm searching for one in the last couple of weeks).
For the current truck I'm not sure if I really want to know

Moti

Last edited by Blackbird; 01-28-2008 at 02:43 AM..
Old 01-28-2008, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Hi, Moti...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
I have experimented with aero modding of a car quite a bit, only from a different angle, namely adding downforce to my old racecar.
You're not alone. One EM member, Stan, makes his living doing that (making race car bodies).

Quote:
since we're here to discuss aero-modding than here are some of my thoughts
Those are all good mods to do. One big one that appears to be missing is a partial grille block.

Another consideration when you're shopping for your T-100 is choosing the model year. If they made them in 1996 or later, that's what I would look for. It would permit you to add a ScanGauge so you could monitor your instant/average fuel economy to adjust the nut behind the wheel & determine the in/effectiveness of mods. (As well as a multitude of other features it's good for.)

Quote:
BTW, before someone asks -
Yes, I have searched the forum and yes, I just saw the aerodynamic Toyota T100 that was already built...
Pretty nice to be able to follow a pioneer! You could do worse than to simply duplicate the mods you see on Phil's truck.

Good luck truck shopping!

Darin
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 01-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks.

With the T100 I'm pretty much stuck to whatever I find, there really aren't enough of them out there to be picky about the year too.
It's just another bit that limits the amount of trucks available FS, which I have already limited down with the fact that it needs to be a 4 cyl (most of them are V6), 2WD when there are a lot of 4WD's, Long bed (eliminates the Xtracab trucks) and manual trans...
Not a whole lot of them left after you take mileage and price into account.

Hopefully I'll find one that I can hook up the scan gauge to, but I won't be turning a nice 93-95 truck away because of it.

Moti

Reply  Post New Thread