EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Where to get fiberglass stuff? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/where-get-fiberglass-stuff-9653.html)

SVOboy 08-13-2009 11:08 PM

Where to get fiberglass stuff?

I feel like I've asked before, but I'm interested in buying some fiberglass for aeromodding, where should I pick some up?

Christ 08-14-2009 12:16 AM

Resins can be had at hobby shops, and fleece can be had at wally world in bulk.

Most fabric shops are cheaper, though, I think.

Fleece requires that you use a polyester resin, FYI. It's also not recommended for anything that will require heavy structural ability.

(And now my fuel log is showing the last 90 days again, instead of the last 3 tanks... weird.)

chuckm 08-14-2009 07:27 AM

Some marine shops carry fiberglass supplies. A few years ago, a neighbor of mine bought supplies at one and repaired a hole on his ski boat.

Bicycle Bob 08-14-2009 09:35 AM

Fiberglass supplies are often found beside the Bondo at automotive stores. I like the fabric selection from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty better, though. What's "fleece," Christ? and what fabric store carries structural fabric? A friend of mine got a great deal on a bolt of silk-screen silk that wound up in a regular fabric store. Felted fiberglass is usually called "mat." A really good boat store might have System Three SB-112 epoxy resin, which will actually seal in rust so it won't swell, and let you stick polyester and bondo on top, which are much easier for sanding.

DonR 08-14-2009 10:33 AM

Fibreglast.com

Christ 08-14-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob (Post 121272)
Fiberglass supplies are often found beside the Bondo at automotive stores. I like the fabric selection from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty better, though. What's "fleece," Christ? and what fabric store carries structural fabric? A friend of mine got a great deal on a bolt of silk-screen silk that wound up in a regular fabric store. Felted fiberglass is usually called "mat." A really good boat store might have System Three SB-112 epoxy resin, which will actually seal in rust so it won't swell, and let you stick polyester and bondo on top, which are much easier for sanding.

Polar fleece - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Example of using Fleece in a fiberglass job.

Another example.

I've actually just used it without glass fiber fabric for non-abused areas like head liners and such, that don't need any real structure to them.
I never said a fabric shop had structural fiberglass, I said fabric shops have fleece, sometimes cheaper than wally world does.

You seriously don't know what fleece is?

Ryland 08-14-2009 05:50 PM

I got my epoxy from Raka.com I picked up some draping tape from them as well for doing corners, you can get regular fabric on Ebay, along with exotic fabrics.

Southcross 08-14-2009 06:03 PM

Boat and Kayak making supplies... Fiberglass (all grades), Epoxy resins (all types) and KEVLAR rolls :D

Boat Building and Woodworking Supplies

edit... oh, and can't forget good old fashioned rolls of CF :D
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...th/58839_7.jpg

SVOboy 08-14-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 121312)
Polar fleece - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Example of using Fleece in a fiberglass job.

Another example.

I've actually just used it without glass fiber fabric for non-abused areas like head liners and such, that don't need any real structure to them.
I never said a fabric shop had structural fiberglass, I said fabric shops have fleece, sometimes cheaper than wally world does.

You seriously don't know what fleece is?

When I read it I assumed it was something different from the fleece we wear, because that's just crazy!

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'll probably just buy a little bit at the auto store to wet my toes.

Christ 08-14-2009 09:45 PM

Nope, you can use cotton T-shirts, socks, etc... basically anything that's cotton/polyester or a blend of both.

I think you can use Rayon/Nylon too.