EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Where to get a new halfshaft? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/where-get-new-halfshaft-9365.html)

SVOboy 07-23-2009 05:03 PM

Where to get a new halfshaft?

I am in need of a new axle, but I don't feel like spending 50 bucks for one from the parts store. Is there any merit in paying like 20 bucks for a junkyard part or will I end up regretting it?

Christ 07-23-2009 05:10 PM

I'll give you the pair of new in the box ones I have for $50 +shipping (not sure how much that would be.)

You can get junkyard parts, I do it... it's just that if it's bad, you either get stuck with a bad axle again, or you have to do the work more than once.

SVOboy 07-23-2009 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 117331)
I'll give you the pair of new in the box ones I have for $50 +shipping (not sure how much that would be.)

You can get junkyard parts, I do it... it's just that if it's bad, you either get stuck with a bad axle again, or you have to do the work more than once.

I would take you up on the offer but I only need one :p

I would like you to find me a block off plate and driver side front fender inner liner though :p

Jetta90GL 07-23-2009 05:15 PM

I don't think I would risk a junk yard part. My jetta had the RH outer CV joint explode into pieces. I only replaced the outer CV Joints ($83 ea.), greased my inner CV's and kept my axles.

I wish I could get mine for 50 bucks. :P

Christ 07-23-2009 05:19 PM

Which one do you need?

I don't have the block off plates, I thought I did, but they're gone. I'm frankly just trying to sell off all the Honda crap that I have... There's lots of it.

I'll check and see if my HF has that inner fender liner or not, and let you know.

I'll do either axle for $30 + Shipping, since I have to separate them that way, and if I have that fender liner, I'll just throw that in for the cost of the extra shipping if you want.

SVOboy 07-23-2009 05:24 PM

I would gladly take you up on that deal, sir :)

Christ 07-23-2009 07:01 PM

Can you txt? Either way, PM me and we'll talk.

wagonman76 07-24-2009 12:46 PM

I've never seen an axle shaft go unless the boot was ripped. For a junkyard part, check it out good first.

Another plus if you have a u-pull-it yard is you get the experience of doing the job when removing the old one. Learn any pitfalls on the junkyard car, not your own.

SVOboy 07-24-2009 12:47 PM

It was ripped about 2 years ago, when I repacked and replaced it. Musta got some dirt in there though

SVOboy 07-24-2009 06:06 PM

Hehe, I wish you hadn't typed up so much, since I've done it several times :D

However, you should repost that as "how to replace a honda axle"

Christ 07-24-2009 07:12 PM

It's ok - someone else might benefit from it.

I guess if a mod wants to split that post into a new thread, that's cool.

I once thought about making a webpage for it all, but then decided that as many times as I switch ISP's, it'd be pointless, I'd have to xfer all the data and let everyone know all the time where the new page was. I then thought about hosting an FTP site with downloadable how-to's... but never did. Now I don't have the hardware to do it.

SVOboy 07-24-2009 07:14 PM

If you feel like putting up a page, or else having a niche somewhere on EcoModder to post things pretty much permanently, I am sure we could work that out :)

Christ 07-24-2009 07:20 PM

Made thread in the DIY section with all that information. I don't have the torque specs and such off hand, but I can edit it later with them once I get my books out after my Son goes to sleep (around 9 PM EST).

I don't have pics of the process, but if you wouldn't mind taking some of when you do it and updating the thread, that would be awesome... it's always easier when you can see exactly what the words are talking about.

Pretty soon, I might keep track and post a DIY on changing a Saturn L-series engine... LOL. Damn dealers...

And I'll get back to you about that axle on Monday, probably. I have to weigh it, since it won't fit in a flat-rate box (I don't think.)