EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Where should I look for cheap aluminum bar for use in aeromods ? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/where-should-i-look-cheap-aluminum-bar-use-40827.html)

Cd 03-11-2023 09:05 AM

Where should I look for cheap aluminum bar for use in aeromods ?

I am creating an AeroCivic clone of sorts ( not nearly as efficient, since mine is an automatic )
I was using aluminum trasition strips used for flooring to build the internal structure.
Aluminum bar, like Mike used on the Aerocivic has gone up considerably, and is now WAY out of my buget.

When I started this project, a 6 foot piece of transition strip was $7.
Until recently, they were $11.
They are now $ 14.
This is through Lowe's.

Looking online shows a huge variation in pricing.
One joke of an example is through Sears ( Aren't they dead ? ) with a SINGLE piece of 6' transition strip selling for $43 before taxes and shipping.
I see other sellers that have transition strip for cheap, but they get you with shipping.

Ideally, I'd like to find aluminum bar, since it is much stronger than flimsy trasition strips.

If any of you know of a good source, please share !

BTW, I am aware of steel conduit like 'Redneck' used on his excellent boattail.
Not only has the price skyrocketed on that, but it is also too large of diameter for what I need, since I have a flush mount system of segments that fit into each other.

Any other ideas for bracing would be appreciated as well !
-Thanks

Piotrsko 03-11-2023 09:35 AM

Afaik, Austin is a fairly large town with a decent manufacturing base. In Bakersfield, there were oil field companies that salvaged various things from office furniture to Waukesha 10 cylinder diesel pumps. Place called recycled materials was my favorite for chinese 2024 aluminum after it was discovered it wasn't to spec. Rain for Rent for anything tube shaped or water tank supplies and assorted pumps/valves. Should be similar places to where youre at, but sadly the days of $2.00 1/4 sheets of aluminum remnants are gone.

JRMichler 03-11-2023 10:00 AM

Possibly a little more expensive than you want, but OnlineMetals.com has rectangular aluminum bar in a wide range of sizes, and any length you want. A six foot piece of 1/8" X 1" of 6063-T52 is $10.95.

Cd 03-11-2023 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMichler (Post 681495)
Possibly a little more expensive than you want, but OnlineMetals.com has rectangular aluminum bar in a wide range of sizes, and any length you want. A six foot piece of 1/8" X 1" of 6063-T52 is $10.95.

Thanks ! What is their shipping costs like ? ( I'm assuming you have ordered from them before.

@Piotrsko : I'll have s look for metal shops around here.
I think I did find a place nearby, but their prices were no better than buying retail.

Caddylackn 03-11-2023 01:36 PM

used transition pieces

I have a Habitat for Humanity builders store in my town. It is mostly donated unsold stuff from Lowe's and Home Depot but also good used home building supplies. There are floor transition pieces there, mostly odd ball stuff that didn't sell new.

mpg_numbers_guy 03-11-2023 07:40 PM

Used and scrap will be way cheaper than new if you have any connections that might have some. Aesthetically it may not look as nice as new but paint hides a multitude of flaws.

Piotrsko 03-12-2023 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caddylackn (Post 681499)
I have a Habitat for Humanity builders store in my town. It is mostly donated unsold stuff from Lowe's and Home Depot but also good used home building supplies. There are floor transition pieces there, mostly odd ball stuff that didn't sell new.

Was going to reccommemd them, but my local version now has prices just slightly lower than new at the big box stores. They do have new stuff from Amazon returns somewhat cheaper than online with no shipping

aerohead 04-17-2023 10:18 AM

'aluminum stock'

When I constructed the skeletons for the front skirts on 'SPIRIT', I used aluminum 'rulers' from HARBOR FREIGHT TOOLS.
They're in the same section of the store as spirit levels.
The material is a couple of inches wide, and thicker than an 1/8th inch.
Also, their spirit levels are cheap enough to use as aluminum I-Beam.
AeroStealth had an APEX RV trailer that he pulled with a 4RUNNER, and I constructed a roof-mounted air deflector, made from a discarded HIGHLANDER rear hatch frame, mounted to 6-foot level I-beam, attached to the 4RUNNER roof rails.
It's the cheapest source of alum, extrusion I've been able to locate.
Only one metal recycling center allows 'salvage', and 'supply' is really hit or miss.:(