EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   White Gnat posts 60.9 mpg on 405 mile tank (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/white-gnat-posts-60-9-mpg-405-mile-26234.html)

wmjinman 06-25-2013 03:14 AM

White Gnat posts 60.9 mpg on 405 mile tank

OK, I think I can officially call it a success story, now - a 60.9 mpg fill-up in a 1999 four cylinder Suzuki Swift, who's EPA combined estimate is 35 mpg.

It is also the first time since I've owned it that it went 400 miles between fill-ups. Not because it couldn't, but because the fuel gauge is weird and I was always uncertain. But now, the fuel gauge simply doesn't work anymore, so I go by miles. And knowing very close to how I'm doing, since I track it so closely now, I know I have plenty more range left.

This also moved me up to 19th place in "top mpg - gasoline cars" - the highest it's ever been. So I'm pretty happy!:D

MetroMPG 06-25-2013 09:23 AM

Nicely done - congrats.

Daox 06-25-2013 12:38 PM

Congrats, very nicely done.

PressEnter[] 06-25-2013 04:00 PM

Sweet!

Flakbadger 06-25-2013 04:04 PM

Congratulations! Thanks for making the rest of us look bad :P

You should be very proud!

mikeyjd 06-26-2013 01:05 PM

I think 60mpg on a full tank was my most exciting hypermiling moment :) I think it's a milestone that you finally feel like all the hard work is really paying off. Good luck maintaining 60's for the rest of the summer :)

wmjinman 07-10-2013 03:17 AM

Good news and mediocre news

Well, I knew it had to happen some time - this last tank was NOT better than the previous one. 59.82 mpg is still my second best ever tank in this car, so I can't really complain, though.

That's the mediocre news. The good news is that it moved up all my averages to "landmarks"; 3 tank average = 60.0, lifetime average = 50, and it's definitely the farthest distance I've gone on a tank of gas in this car - - - 427.3 miles. And put me up to 19th place in "top mpg - gasoline cars", and the 4th place Metro/Swift model in there.

But I guess that brings some more semi-mediocre news: It was the first time it took 7 gallons!! All other fill-ups were staying under 7. (but were all under 420 miles, too) :rolleyes:

UltArc 07-10-2013 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmjinman (Post 379834)
Well, I knew it had to happen some time - this last tank was NOT better than the previous one. 59.82 mpg is still my second best ever tank in this car, so I can't really complain, though.

That's the mediocre news. The good news is that it moved up all my averages to "landmarks"; 3 tank average = 60.0, lifetime average = 50, and it's definitely the farthest distance I've gone on a tank of gas in this car - - - 427.3 miles. And put me up to 19th place in "top mpg - gasoline cars", and the 4th place Metro/Swift model in there.

But I guess that brings some more semi-mediocre news: It was the first time it took 7 gallons!! All other fill-ups were staying under 7. (but were all under 420 miles, too) :rolleyes:

Congratulations on your achievement! :)

wmjinman 07-17-2013 03:48 AM

Second tank of 60+ mpg

A new record for the White Gnat; 61.4 mpg. This is also the farthest I've gone on one tank; 436.7 miles. I was so impressed, I re-installed the rear fenderskirts, somewhat modified to hopefully fit better - and with an aluminum channel and three sheetmetal screws to hold it better than the 100% duct tape method I used last time. (duct tape still prominently used though - just to make sure to keep with tradition)

Fat Charlie 07-17-2013 04:34 PM

Keep up the good work!

wmjinman 07-25-2013 05:03 AM

White Gnat pops into 18th place with a 61.7 mpg fill-up

This is now twice over 61 mpg and my 3 tank average is actually 61 now. Improvement is coming slower, though. Maybe time for a kamm back and belly pan. :D

Also a new record for range - 444 miles. Of course, the fact it only took 7.2 gallons indicates I could go a LOT farther if I pushed it. Inching my way up, though - fuel gauge reads above "full" all the time, and as much as I'd like to, I can't believe it's accurate. :rolleyes:

wmjinman 08-03-2013 03:40 AM

452.6 mile tank - sneaking up on 500

More good news and mediocre news:

The good news is is the average mpg is still climbing, but slowly, and I made 16th on the "top gasoline cars" list.

The mediocre news is the mileage dropped again - after 2 consecutive tanks at 61+, this one was below 61. - - - 60.95. But I don't feel too bad, because I filled up in Sacramento while down there, then came back home and finished off the tank, to re-fill in Carson City - 4000 ft. higher elevation that it started at. So - 60.95 mpg in a tank that CLIMBED 4000 ft isn't too bad IMO.

nemo 08-03-2013 07:28 AM

Great news, just think how much you save over driving the Jimmy.

wmjinman 08-03-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemo (Post 383427)
Great news, just think how much you save over driving the Jimmy.

Yes, I DO think about that now and then. I am THRILLED with the performance I'm getting.
:D

wmjinman 09-30-2013 02:34 AM

Finally had a 500 mile tank

With the increased distance between fill-ups, the fill-ups are coming less frequently.

I've finally began work on what will hopefully become a kamm-back to boost my mileage at higher speeds (and all speeds)

nemo 09-30-2013 06:58 AM

A couple more MPG and you will be tripling the average milage of the Jimmy. :thumbup:

Remember to post the pictures of the kamm-back and results.

wmjinman 09-30-2013 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, good idea - ran out & grabbed a shot of it. 3 plies of fiberglass, using 6" wide fiberglass cloth "tape" with the middle one being at a 45 degree bias. The weave at the edges of the tape cause the ridges, the price to pay for the convenience of using tape. Hope it's strong enough.

As you can see, I'm using the roof as a mold. My plan is to just continue the curve of the roof back - nice & smooth. To do this, I cut two strips of wood with the curve so I can attach the fiberglass piece to it while the front half lays on the roof ahead of the kamm-back.

For the sides, I plan to use the rear side windows for molds (a little nervous about how to release it though - if it decides to "stick"). Although I haven't cut them out yet, I'm thinking of doing similar boards to hold the sides at a smooth continuation, too. Then hand-lay the transition between the top & sides with an increasing radius towards the rear.

EDIT: OK, just got it removed from the roof. The "trick" - use a long butcher knife to progressively work the separation between the roof & the fiberglass, blade first, then by lifting the edge up enough to get the knife's handle under it & keep progressing until it's all free. I alternated slicing motions and in & out "slow stabbing" motions to work it loose. I'm still not 100% confident this will work on the glass side windows, which will not flex *much* without breaking. But it worked on the top. There seems to be decent strength, even though it's probably not fully cured yet. It seems to want to warp, or twist. This is probably because I only used the tape to do the 45 degree bias in one direction - probably should have laid another with the tape edges running 45 degrees the opposite way on top of the first biased ply. Will probably be OK though, once the sides are attached and the whole thing is anchored to the hatchback.

whatmaycome14 09-30-2013 09:57 PM

Great job! :)

Jasen 09-30-2013 11:06 PM

Cover the mold area with clear packing tape as your mold release agent.

Congrats on the stellar FE

wmjinman 10-01-2013 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasen (Post 393323)
Cover the mold area with clear packing tape as your mold release agent.

Congrats on the stellar FE

Good idea - I might just do that!

I've actually used the packing tape for that purpose before, but not on something this big. I've also not always had it release that easily, but I suppose it's still far better than to risk having it bonded to the actual glass. In a worse case, I could probably keep dripping adhesive remover underneath it if there's any trouble. Eventually, I should be able to get it off!!:thumbup:

MetroMPG 10-01-2013 12:41 PM

I like tinfoil as a release agent.

euromodder 10-01-2013 04:22 PM

Plasti-dip (spray-on) has also been used as mold release / separator

Bee or carnuba wax ?

wmjinman 10-02-2013 02:25 AM

Thanks for those ideas, guys,

This afternoon, I applied the clear packing tape to both rear side windows. Was debating going ahead & getting started with the lay-up, but I had to be somewhere and my "window of opportunity" got squeezed to a point I was afraid I wouldn't have time to finish either side. And the place I had to be probably needed me to be clean and free of 'glass fibers hanging off my cloths, the clean-up period squeezing my time window even tighter. So now, the plan is to try & get it done tomorrow.

wmjinman 10-03-2013 12:08 AM

First lay-up using rear side window

1 Attachment(s)
This time I used 4 plies. The edge ridges show through again, and you can see this time I did a 45 degree bias slanting back, and then another one foreward. Those are the middle two. The inner and outer ones run straight front & back. Assuming I can get it released ok, we'll see if it has less tendency to twist/warp this time.

My garage is full of crap, so the car's outside. It's forecast to get down into the 30's tonight, so to avoid wrecking the cure, I have an extension cord with two 200-watt bulbs inside the car, a large aluminum "turkey drip pan" propped up as a reflector to direct the radiant heat towards the inside of the "mold window". On the outside I have a layer of cellophane wrap to block the wet surface from the tarp I have draped over the whole car to reduce heat loss. With luck, this will keep things warm enough all night to allow the cure to continue.