Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2014, 04:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

question on comparing emissions numbers

I have seen results of emissions testing posted online using both parts-per-million and grams-per-mile (or grams-per-kilometer). It seems to me that these numbers would not be directly comparable. Using grams-per-mile, a larger engine/vehicle would tend to emit more than a smaller one. Whereas going by PPM, a large engine could very well score lower numbers compared to a smaller engine, despite emitting more total pollutants in practice.

Although, I'm not sure exactly what routine they go through to test emissions. I imagine that it is at most a simulation of driving a certain distance. The "per-mile" label could be a misnomer.

But I have seen Aus. and Euro standards quoted as being in mass/distance units, and at least one US state, eg.:

Aus. (grams per mile)
'76 3.36 38.9 3.06
'86 1.49 15.0 3.06
'99 0.42 3.38 1.01
'04 ---- 3.54 ---- HC+NOx=0.80 (Euro 2)
'06 0.32 3.70 0.24 (Euro 3)
'10 0.16 1.61 0.13 (Euro 4)

Maryland (grams per mile)
'00 0.70 15.0 1.80

Is it possible to tell whether a vehicle that meets one standard would meet another, or is the testing methodology simply incompatible in some cases? I ask mainly out of curiosity, because emissions aren't tested where I live. But sometimes the LEV/ULEV/etc. ratings are advertised, and it would be nice to know what these actually mean and how they compare to everything else.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread