EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Why do most wheels have 5 spokes? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/why-do-most-wheels-have-5-spokes-14582.html)

rbrowning 09-17-2010 08:46 PM

Why do most wheels have 5 spokes?

I was the first one in to work yesterday and had to wait for someone with a key to show up. I noticed that 5 out of 6 vehicles had 5 spoke wheels and one car had 7. Since then I have noticed that most cars have 5 spokes, or as my wife's Expedition, 5 sets of two spokes. Most of the ones with more spokes were the sportier models. So is it just a styling thing? You would think that there would be the same number of spokes as lugs, but not necessarily.

So, other than the obvious "To keep the rim away from the hub!", does anyone have any idea as to why? Something to do with vibrations and harmonics would be my first guess.

Why do I even ponder such things anyway?:confused:

saand 09-17-2010 09:35 PM

rbrowning i think this is a purely styling thing. 5 spokes looks better than 6 i guess.

The wheels will be balanced mechanically with either 5 or 6 or any number for that matter. So no issue with vibration or harmonics. A lower number of spokes say for an extreme example of 2 spokes would put significant stress on the spokes but from 4 or more spokes its not even a consideration.

Well worth pondering these sort of things its best way to find out something new

fidalgoman 09-17-2010 11:56 PM

Perhaps styling enters in, but in earlier days an odd number of lug nuts seemed to have less effect or wheel warping and the associated vibrations. Still today odd number of attach points are often used where balance is critical. When it comes to heavy vehicles you may have notice six, eight, teh or more lugs. So as the number of attach points increases in number the load distribution is more evenly distributed and less critical. Today however it does seem that it has more to do with style as the previous poster mentioned.

Frank Lee 09-18-2010 12:30 AM

If odd= better balance then the heavies would have 7, 9, etc. instead of 6, 8, etc., right? :confused:

CapriRacer 09-18-2010 06:44 AM

First, there are probably 100 answers to this question and while some of them have a grain of truth to them, I'll bet that true answer is that there is no real reason.

- But -

Most vehicles have 5 lugs, so I supposed symmetry plays a role.

I've heard that using prime numbers has the effect of isolating vibrations. So 5, 7, or 9 are common used when the number of "X" is chosen.

RobertSmalls 09-18-2010 09:03 AM

^^ What he said about vibration plays a big role. I suppose it's also true that the engineering advantage of 5 spoke over 6 spoke is minuscule.

I looked around at wheels a few years back, and noticed a fair number of American cars with even numbers of spokes, but not nearly as many imports like that.

gone-ot 09-18-2010 03:13 PM

...anybody remember the THREE-spoke wheels from back in the mid-1970's?

...and SAAB used a 3-spoke rim as OEM for awhile on one model.

euromodder 09-18-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 194703)
...anybody remember the THREE-spoke wheels from back in the mid-1970's?

They're back, on Smarts ! ;)

Frank Lee 09-18-2010 03:20 PM

How about the 3-lug Le Car?

euromodder 09-18-2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrowning (Post 194616)
So is it just a styling thing?

It's just a styling thing.
The number of spokes has nothing to do with the number of bolts, though 5 spokes and 5 bolts create some symmetry.

BTW: I'm known for my profound dislike of 5-spoke rims :D

RobertSmalls 09-18-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 194706)
It's just a styling thing.
The number of spokes has nothing to do with the number of bolts, though 5 spokes and 5 bolts create some symmetry.

BTW: I'm known for my profound dislike of 5-spoke rims :D

What's not to like about a lower-vibration (and therefore potentially incrementally lighter) design?

As long as there is some engineering sense behind a design, I can live with it.

I have a great dislike for 6, 8, and 10 spoke wheels.

Frank Lee 09-18-2010 05:03 PM

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...er/hubless.jpg

euromodder 09-18-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 194712)
What's not to like about a lower-vibration (and therefore potentially incrementally lighter) design?

The lightest OEM rims for my car, is a 7-spoke design - both in 15" and 16".
They're lighter than the 5-spoke designs.

Varn 09-18-2010 09:08 PM

I had an R5 was my second Renault and a good car. I put an oil pressure gauge on it and whilst going over some rough rr tracks it broke the fitting off somewhat seizing my engine I fixed the engine and drove it another year. Still getting 35 mpg without trying.

As far as 5 spokes I believe it to be the mark of the devil. The Pentagram you know.

gone-ot 09-18-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varn (Post 194767)
As far as 5 spokes I believe it to be the mark of the devil. The Pentagram you know.

...are you implying that CHRYSLER MOTORS™ is owned & operated by the Devil (wink,wink)?

http://www.allpar.com/images/logos/creed-pentastar.jpg

Rokeby 09-19-2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Well, it all depends.
Standing on two "feet" with a point up the symbology is positive.
Standing on a single point, there are negatige conotations:

http://vigilantcitizen.com/wp-conten...ifer_satan.gif

Higher aspirations vs. base instincts.

When a five spoke wheel is spinning, it's anyone's guess. :rolleyes:

Pentagon symbology

Pentagram

euromodder 09-19-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

If the devil is in a rim he's going to get seriously dizzy ;)

user removed 09-19-2010 06:39 PM

Could be harmonic resonance. Rotary and radial engines (aircraft) almost universally have an odd number of cylinders. Could be for the same reason.

regards
Mech

wyatt 09-19-2010 06:51 PM

Prius Rims

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 194712)
I have a great dislike for 6, 8, and 10 spoke wheels.

Prius rims (2004-2009) mostly came with the 6 spoke wheels, although they are a lot thicker than what I would consider "spokes".
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...s2004DSide.JPG

Would a first generation Insight have three spoke rims?
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/...2101990002.jpg

RobertSmalls 09-19-2010 06:56 PM

I prefer to think of it as a spokeless wheel with three major and nine minor vents. Similarly, the Civic Hybrid wheels are a spokeless, five vent design:
http://www.technofile.com/images/hon...id_06wheel.jpg

Piwoslaw 09-21-2010 04:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think an odd number of spokes is more appealing to the human eye.

I see 3-spoked alloys every so often, mostly on Mercedes. I believe they are not good for larger diameter wheels because the distance between spokes is big enough to allow denting/bending. I hate 4-spoke wheels, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapriRacer (Post 194660)
I've heard that using prime numbers has the effect of isolating vibrations. So 5, 7, or 9 are common used when the number of "X" is chosen.

Um, 9 isn't a prime number.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 194724)

Hey, that's cheating!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokeby (Post 194822)

How about the 8-spoke DaVinci wheel?

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1285059143

RobertSmalls 09-21-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 195144)

Prime numbers are desirable here because they have few divisors, and the ones they have are large. A 9-spoke wheel may have resonant vibrations at 1, 3, and 9 times wheelspeed, while a 6 spoke wheel may at 1, 2, 3, and 6 times wheelspeed.

Sometimes, resonant vibrations don't matter. e.g. if there's enough damping for the vibration to die out before the next excitation arrives, if excitations at that frequency are exceedingly unlikely, or if the frequency of vibration is too high for humans to perceive.

Rokeby 09-21-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 195179)
Sometimes, resonant vibrations don't matter. e.g. if there's enough damping
for the vibration to die out before the next excitation arrives, if excitations at
that frequency are exceedingly unlikely, or if the frequency of vibration is too
high for humans to perceive.

Robert,

I'm trying to understand this whole matter.

I have seen wheels with 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,9, 10 and 11 spokes.

Beyond this it's too hard for me to count the spokes as they spin. :p

Presumably, all of these arrangements will run safely from 0 MPH, well up
beyond the highest legal Posted Speed Limit.

Since I haven't heard of any X numbered spoke wheel recall, can I presume
that whether through intentional design or blind luck, none of the issues you
have identified are likely to come up.

I tried to find an Internet site, blog, document, whatever discussing
wheel/spoke design, spoke cross section vs. number, etc.
Couldn't find anything.

Do you have any idea's for self-paced learning on this?

RobertSmalls 09-21-2010 08:08 PM

Rokeby,

All the wheels on the road are safe. Some are heavier than they need to be, and some transmit more NVH than they ought to. The number of spokes is a very minor point, but lacking small divisors in your symmetry is generally a good way to avoid resonant vibration at lower frequencies.

An even-numbered spoke count is a sign that designers and stylists came up with something, then told the engineers to make it work. An odd-numbered spoke count indicates the process went the other way around.

Further reading? Nah. The math behind NVH is boring, and since it's so far beyond the scope of the DIY'er, there's not much written on it.

gone-ot 09-21-2010 10:12 PM

...here's the DaVinci wheel I can relate to:

http://www.lifeisajoke.com/simpsons/...s-Da-Vinci.bmp

Bicycle Bob 09-21-2010 11:36 PM

AFAIR, the only two wheels that were engineered rather than styled were the tension-spoked (bicycle) wheel, which was actually developed for the still unsuccessful aircraft of the mid-1800s. At higher loadings and smaller diameters, the spokes get thick enough to take compression loads, and the end fittings become useless weight.
In the 60s, the Minilite was designed as a superior alternative for sport and racing cars, with some actual calculations.
While unsprung weight is one of the biggest factors in ride and handling, the nature of wheels is almost unresponsive to fine-tuning of the structure. You need so much material for the hub and rim, almost anything can connect the two with reasonable success. These days, with FEA readily available, better wheels could probably be designed, but the performance increment would be easily overcome by BS and styling preferences. Cars are about image, not engineering goals. Nobody Needs fancy rims to drive around urban decay, but that is where you find them most often.

Nevyn 09-23-2010 01:44 PM

Any number that divides evenly into 360 is a easily usable number of spokes, as they can be spaced evenly around the circle.

RobertSmalls 09-23-2010 04:14 PM

Any number of spokes, even one, can be spaced evenly around a circle.

UFO 09-23-2010 07:23 PM

Just an observation on the question of "why do most wheels have 5 spokes?" Most vehicles also have 5 wheel lugs as well. One lug per spoke seems visually appealing.

galahs 01-15-2011 01:39 AM

I wonder what fuel economy advantage there would be in saying having
- 3 spoke light weight wheels that are easier for the engine to accelerate but have more openings hence cause more aero dag
- vs heavier disk wheels which are harder for the engine to accelerate but have less or no openings resulting in less aero drag

redneck 01-15-2011 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 194724)

I guess he doesn't have to worry about the old broom stick in the spokes trick stopping him...

>

tumnasgt 01-15-2011 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galahs (Post 215248)
- 3 spoke light weight wheels that are easier for the engine to accelerate but have more openings hence cause more aero dag
- vs heavier disk wheels which are harder for the engine to accelerate but have less or no openings resulting in less aero drag

I believe that's why the two latest generations of Prius have had alloy wheels with plastic trims on the outer edge, improving aero while not adding too much weight (which is especially important on the outer edge as it has a greater effect).

Arragonis 01-18-2011 02:10 PM

Do a Google Images search for Minilite and see the only wheel worth having....

...now if I could afford a set.

RobertSmalls 01-18-2011 06:55 PM

You mean the Very Light Wheel?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4143/...9d4bf2ff_b.jpg

euromodder 01-18-2011 07:27 PM

Is that the Continental tyre developed for the Loremo ?

RobertSmalls 01-18-2011 08:24 PM

That's a photo of the Very Light Car's wheel. I don't know the origin of the tires, but a quick Google search says I can buy them at Sears. They also fit a Smart, among other cars.

pakamac 11-20-2015 09:23 PM

Hey Capri Racer, 9 is not a prime number!
BTW, to date I have seen wheels with 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,15 and 20 spokes. All except 7 have a geometric construction.

MobilOne 11-21-2015 12:00 AM

I have also seen them with 11 and 13 spokes.

freebeard 11-21-2015 03:48 PM

pakamac -- Welcome to Ecomodder. First post in a zombie thread with a point that had already been made.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I know you can do better.

Bicycle Bob (in 2010) said the tension spoke wheel and the Mini-lite were the only ones 'engineered'. I'd suggest the Centerline Convo Pro. The corrugations reduce weight.

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/10...-005143550.jpg
http://www.jegs.com/i/Center-Line-Wheels/184/005143550/10002/-1

johnnywheels 11-22-2015 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galahs (Post 215248)
- 3 spoke light weight wheels that are easier for the Airwheel Q5 to accelerate but have more openings hence cause more aero dag

That brings up a good question. I suppose if you angled the light weight ones enough so that it would lessen the drag and allow it to flow through without a problem you'd find your perfect solution!