EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Why you shouldn't mess with lithium ion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/why-you-shouldnt-mess-lithium-ion-19207.html)

ConnClark 10-19-2011 05:25 PM

Why you shouldn't mess with lithium ion

1 Attachment(s)
Why you shouldn't mess with lithium ion un less you really know what your doing. (and even then)

roguethunder 10-19-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConnClark (Post 266319)
Why you shouldn't mess with lithium ion un less you really know what your doing. (and even then)

Lol.

And this... is yet another reason that Lithium Iron Phosphates are greatly favored over older lithium chemistries for vehicles.

... far less prone to burny doom.

... Then again? Same situation with gasoline? O.O...

ConnClark 10-19-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roguethunder (Post 266330)
Lol.

And this... is yet another reason that Lithium Iron Phosphates are greatly favored over older lithium chemistries for vehicles.

Except this is a brad new state of the art vehicle using lithium ion phosphate batteries.

PHL Solar Car Team gears up for Australia race - Technology - GMA News Online - Latest Philippine News
Quote:

... Then again? Same situation with gasoline? O.O...
Then again gasoline doesn't set itself off

Ryland 10-19-2011 08:43 PM

A proper battery management system should prevent this from happening, I was at a presentation by the University Of Minnesota Solar Race team and they told us about their battery management system that kept track of the voltage of each cell in the pack and cell temp and if the voltage or temp went out of spec for even a second it would shut the whole pack down requiring a manual reset, but part of the battery management system also was to keep the voltage from going out of spec and if any part of the monitoring system failed it would also shut the battery pack down.
Of course they were doing this more so to preserve the packs ability to hold a proper charge then to prevent it from starting on fire, because the battery chemistry that they were using was supposed to be thermally stable, the batteries that are not release oxygen when they over heat, then they start on fire and don't want to stop burning.

roguethunder 10-22-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConnClark (Post 266347)
Except this is a brad new state of the art vehicle using lithium ion phosphate batteries.

PHL Solar Car Team gears up for Australia race - Technology - GMA News Online - Latest Philippine News

Lol. Well I do suppose I should have noted they make it HARDER to pull off burny doom... not impossible. XD

Quote:

Then again gasoline doesn't set itself off
Neither do lithium cells unless quite severely flawed. It takes electrical, thermal, and/or physical "abuse". Less than gasoline? Decent quality LiPE I could see arguing being on even ground plus or minus developed safety systems and standards. Other lithium chemistry... ok yeah. Bad quality cells? Duh. Their thresholds are a bit. Low.

Though. I suppose low quality gasoline isn't more likely to 'asplode(if anything in fact, I'd assume it would be less so XD). A low quality fuel handling system however... Well. Look up car recalls for the last 20-30 years. Electrical shorts in in-tank fuel systems in particular...
In contrast, poorly manufactured batteries are VASTLY more likely to fail, and fail spectacularly. This is especially terrible on classical lithium cells (I'm glaring at you Sony! Metal contaminants... really...). And just like gas, poorly managed... Well. You get the pattern.

madmike8 10-22-2011 04:58 PM

My wife drove home last night and told me the car was smoking. When I popped the hood it blazed up. Sometimes cars catch fire... I'm not blaming gas for causing it. Anyone want a toasty dodge stratus?

roguethunder 10-22-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmike8 (Post 266754)
My wife drove home last night and told me the car was smoking. When I popped the hood it blazed up. Sometimes cars catch fire... I'm not blaming gas for causing it. Anyone want a toasty dodge stratus?

XD Gasoline don't cause it. But its properties of hanging near the ground in gaseous form certainly does make it easy with ANY external cause combined with a leak. (Rather than say, hydrogen or propane. Which float upward. Especially hydrogen. Or say lithium batteries... which have no gaseous form. Well. No commonly observed one... *thinks about uses for thermite*)

... XD Does it still drive?... No? damn.

NeilBlanchard 10-23-2011 06:41 AM

Lithium ion | = lithium iron |= lithium manganese |= lithium polymer |= lithium air

There are many different formulations of lithium batteries even within these groups and they are all different properties.

jakobnev 10-23-2011 06:49 AM

Ok, but what about the safety of dilithium crystals?

t vago 10-23-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakobnev (Post 266829)
Ok, but what about the safety of dilithium crystals?

If you're not careful, this could happen.

http://images.wikia.com/memory-gamma...ore_breach.jpg

SoobieOut 10-23-2011 11:30 PM

Even lead acid batteries can cause fires.

Here's a story about a 1968 bug, with a battery under rear seat. Caught fire from seat springs shorting out the battery. Car is a total loss.

Clinton fire chars old VW, couple's groceries | ksl.com

JRP3 10-24-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConnClark (Post 266347)

That link says laptop cells, which means LiCo, not LiFePO4.

ConnClark 10-24-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRP3 (Post 267050)
That link says laptop cells, which means LiCo, not LiFePO4.

From the article

“We now use Panasonic lithium ion phosphate batteries," explains Charleson Meridones, one of Sikat II’s young engineers.

Ladogaboy 10-24-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConnClark (Post 267060)
From the article

“We now use Panasonic lithium ion phosphate batteries," explains Charleson Meridones, one of Sikat II’s young engineers.

But shouldn't that be "iron" not "ion"?

JRP3 10-24-2011 10:33 PM

It's rather confusing. Since LiCo seems to have twice the specific energy density of LiFePO4 I'm not aware of any laptops using LiFePO4, though the "laptop" reference may have just been referring to the 18650 format.

ConnClark 10-25-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy (Post 267073)
But shouldn't that be "iron" not "ion"?

Right now there are only two main types of lithium ion phosphate battery chemistries on the market, lithium iron magnesium phosphate and lithium iron phosphate. They are both very similar and one is just as stable as the other. Lithium iron magnesium phosphate is slightly more efficient however.

NeilBlanchard 10-25-2011 09:23 PM

There are a lot of types of lithium ion batteries, with lots of different formulations:

Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some with iron, manganese, cobalt, air...