Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Crappy Gas Pipe - '84 Mercedes 300D Turbo 230k Miles
Shame on you

I hear a lot about gas stations getting fines for price gouging and not having accurate fuel counts at the pump. Some things that happened to me. After filling up I was given a reseipt. I keep a MPG log on every car for every tank full since 1981. This receipt dindt show how many gallons I bought. I called the place and asked them what the price was on your fuel on such a date. They said the price changes 3 times a day, cant tell you.
Another place was able to put 5.30 gallons in a 5 gallon jug without even getting it close to the top. Same place same day smae guy-I asked him to fill up my tank, so I can figure out my gas mileage. As I was leaving he said "Just so you know I only put $50.00 in your tank" Thanks, now I dont have to know how many miles per gallon my car is getting, like i explained I was gong to do before you sarted filling me up, you Stupid A hl.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-29-2008, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hiya,

You could always pump it at a self serve station? It would probably be a little less money.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 07-29-2008, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Huh, were you stuck in Jersey? Or Huntington? Apparently you cannot pump your own gas there (or in Oregon). It might be curious to press the issue assuming you were pumping diesel and not gas (that apparently IS legal to pump yourself)

Filling station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Hiya,

You could always pump it at a self serve station? It would probably be a little less money.
Self serve station? What’s that? Not in NY or NJ. The risk of static electricity created from your seat and then handling a gas pump has made that practice to much of a risk in most states. But that doesn’t seem to stop people from smoking while at the pump. DumpAsses! I guess if I look hard enough I could find a place, late at night. Also credit card and cash are different price - Can you say "price gouging"?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Huh, were you stuck in Jersey? Or Huntington? Apparently you cannot pump your own gas there (or in Oregon). It might be curious to press the issue assuming you were pumping diesel and not gas (that apparently IS legal to pump yourself)

Filling station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sorry I didnt elaberate on what fuel I was getting. It was gas for my wifes car. Self pumping diesel makes sence because you can throw a lit match in diesel and nothing will happen. Diesel ignights under exteame pressure while gas explodes. Thats why gas is so dumb compaired to diesel. Most of the power/heat escapes through the exhaust manifold. Right?

Not sure how you knew I was in Jersey and Huntington but you are right and I will be keeping my eye on you.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ex-lurker

Skeeter - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)
Jersey is pretty stupid with their "can't pump your own gas" state laws, and your info says you're in New York (in which Huntington apparently has a similar law). Almost anywhere else in the US you can do it yourself, so process of elimination.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickMPGs View Post
Self serve station? What’s that? Not in NY or NJ. The risk of static electricity created from your seat and then handling a gas pump has made that practice to much of a risk in most states.
Now that's a really good one. I suppose that's why we see so many reports of burning cars at self-serve stations in all the other states.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

think what you want. I dont want to get in a pissing match with anyone. I'm just saying the fuel quantity we are buying could be wrong at some places and by not telling you how many gallon you purchased on the receipt and how 5.30 gallons will not fill a 5 gallon gas can. Oh, how about Home Heating Oil, I bet you cant read to me how many gallons of fuel you just received from the receipt.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
think what you want. I dont want to get in a pissing match with anyone. I'm just saying the fuel quantity we are buying could be wrong at some places and by not telling you how many gallon you purchased on the receipt and how 5.30 gallons will not fill a 5 gallon gas can. Oh, how about Home Heating Oil, I bet you cant read to me how many gallons of fuel you just received from the receipt.
Contact the Bureau of Weights and Measures... there is a sticker on the pump to show when it was last tested by them and a phone number you can call them on. Give the address and name of the station. Next time make note of the pump number and give that to them too. Ask them to notify you if they find that you have indeed been bilked out of some money.

Last edited by Lazarus; 07-30-2008 at 08:08 PM..
Old 07-31-2008, 01:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

6th Gen Coupe - '02 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl
90 day: 28.01 mpg (US)

Zombie Accord - '98 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 24.71 mpg (US)

Ol' Red - '96 Ford F-150 XL
90 day: 14.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Not sure how you knew I was in Jersey and Huntington but you are right and I will be keeping my eye on you.
I lol'd.