EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModder Blog Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodder-blog-discussion.html)
-   -   Will 3-Wheelers Make a Comeback? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/will-3-wheelers-make-comeback-8999.html)

SVOboy 06-30-2009 09:00 AM

Will 3-Wheelers Make a Comeback?

Recently we have been seeing a lot more 3-wheelers than we used to. The Automotive X-Prize competition is full of them, with teams hoping to take advantage of the improved aerodynamics and reduced rolling resistance of 3-wheeled vehicles. While many of these vehicles end up looking like space-age ships (ahem, Aptera) or land rockets, the [...] Related posts:
  1. Honda Cub Makes a Comeback (Sort Of)
  2. Japan: Excessive Idling v. Start-Stop EcoDrivers
  3. Just When You Thought Americans Were Distracted Drivers

More...

Electric Frenzy 07-01-2009 07:52 PM

yes.....just as soon as gas hits $4.50/gal

Christ 07-01-2009 09:01 PM

I wish they would... I love the idea of a 3-wheeled vehicle with 2 seats... seems easier to maneuver/park.

That reminds me.. anyone ever tried a reverse trike using the "Zero turn" type drivetrain for a front end?

The Atomic Ass 07-01-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric Frenzy (Post 113275)
yes.....just as soon as gas hits $4.50/gal

Well, unfortunately, that didn't happen last year.

Here's hoping that $8/gal does the trick.

Ryland 07-02-2009 05:29 PM

having recently driven a Myers NMG all electric 3 wheeler, I must agree on them being fun and fast and one of the best handling cars I've had a chance to drive.

elhigh 07-10-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 113293)
That reminds me.. anyone ever tried a reverse trike using the "Zero turn" type drivetrain for a front end?

I think that would be an incredibly dangerous design. People are bad enough drivers as it is. It requires two separate drivelines, doubling your potential for failure and guaranteeing serious loss of stability in the event of such failure.

It would require that the rear wheel be nondirectional - it would essentially be just a caster. In a turn, it would tend to fling out of the turn more, tightening the turn radius, which would make it fling out more, etc. until you spin out. It might be huge fun on a closed track though.

Bucky Fuller's Dymaxion car was a rear-steerer, I don't know exactly how he engineered around this tendency. All I know is that 90% of everybody on the road right now would wind up either in the ditch or in the front seat of the car next to them with such a setup.

Jetta90GL 07-11-2009 12:17 PM

The people Ive seen driving there Can-Am Spyders didn't seem to have any problems controlling them.:rolleyes:

BRP Can-Am | Spyder Ryder

hummingbird 07-11-2009 12:33 PM

In India, the Honda Cub sells by the name of Bajaj M80, a hugely popular vehicle in rural parts of India. How the local two-wheeler giant Bajaj got the tech knowhow without a collaboration with Honda is anybody's guess ;)

The 80 cc vehicle yields an overall FE figure of ~160 mpg, and is a workhorse, routinely used for hauling misc. loads rural folk need to carry over uneven, unpaved roads.

Check this link for a review.