EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Will the trend hold? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/will-trend-hold-6813.html)

Lazarus 01-19-2009 05:25 PM

Will the trend hold?

Gas is back on the move again with prices up 15 cents nationwide in the last month. Driving was down 3.5% in October 08. It will be interesting to see if it spikes now that cas is realitivly cheap.

Quote:

October 2008 Traffic Volume Trends
Travel on all roads and streets changed by -3.5% (-9.0 billion vehicle miles)
for October 2008 as compared with October 2007.
Travel for the month is estimated to be 249.7 billion vehicle miles.
Cumulative Travel for 2008 changed by -3.5% (-89.2 billion vehicle miles).
Cumulative estimate for the year is 2,425.7 billion vehicle miles of travel
Why can't they come up with numbers of galloned used or barrels of oil? Or have they and I just can't find it? Miles is not a good indicator of the amount of oil we use or is it?

Compaq888 01-19-2009 08:27 PM

Usually the public responds to drastic measures. I hope gas stays up there so we start getting some of those european diesels.

RobertSmalls 01-20-2009 09:57 AM

EIA - Petroleum Basic Data

Disposition Related
U.S. Petroleum Consumption 20,680,000 barrels/day
U.S. Motor Gasoline Consumption 9,286,000 barrels/day (390 million gallons/day)
Share of US Oil Consumption for Transportation 70%

Also check out Highlights at EIA - International Energy Outlook 2008.

wagonman76 01-20-2009 12:45 PM

It bottomed out here at 1.499. Right after new years it went up 35c at once, then another 15c to 1.999. Its been 1.999 for awhile now.

Guess its considered cheap by some. 18 wheelers are driving like a bat out of hell on the freeway now, even on the ice. Thankfully I saw 3 separate truckers pulled over by the state boys last Friday, looks like theyre getting tired of it too.

And yesterday I saw a nice looking Metro running in the parking lot while I went into the store, nobody in it. I came back out 15 minutes later and it was still running, AND it was still there.

Christ 01-20-2009 12:58 PM

Hm... someone should have stolen that car.

Honestly, it didn't matter around here when gas prices were higher, most of the kids in this town still drove like idiots, as though they had something under the hood of their Neons and Probes, Jettas and Civics.

For those people anything that reduces intake restriction @ WOT would give them better mileage, since it seems like they're almost constantly at WOT.

I spoke with a few truckers that were calling in for the night the other day on my way home, when I stopped for coffee, before having to get involved in an accident, and they all agreed that driving at 55-60 MPH on the highway normally caused them to not have to "burn up the binders" because of those "stupid 4-wheelers" and their "ridiculous driving", not to mention the "greenies in rigs".

Lazarus 01-21-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 84069)
EIA - Petroleum Basic Data

Disposition Related
U.S. Petroleum Consumption 20,680,000 barrels/day
U.S. Motor Gasoline Consumption 9,286,000 barrels/day (390 million gallons/day)
Share of US Oil Consumption for Transportation 70%

Also check out Highlights at EIA - International Energy Outlook 2008.

Interesting it actually been going down since 2005. That's surprising to me. Wonder how 2008 will stack up. it whould continue the trend.

thanks, for the link.

Big Dave 01-21-2009 05:45 PM

I'm definitely looking for gas prices to go back up, but hopefully diesel will move to price parity.

Its no time for ecomodders to take a break, but rather get ready for more radical action to meet rising prices head-on.

On the other hand, there are some bargains on used Hinda Insights out there. They still get awesome MPG. Looks like roadworthy Insights can be had on Autotrader and Fleabay for $4,000-6,000.