EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Wind turbine to compressed air storage (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/wind-turbine-compressed-air-storage-23617.html)

jago25_98 10-09-2012 06:11 AM

Wind turbine to compressed air storage

How's about a wind turbine that compresses air?

Wouldnt this be more efficient than elecrochemical conversio and reconversion?

I found an inventor of a turbine but Ive lost the link now. I remember ther were absolutely no details on how it worked anyway. Do we have i fo on this idea? Have you heard anything?

oil pan 4 10-09-2012 08:16 PM

Wind to air power

Patrick 10-09-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jago25_98 (Post 332858)

I found an inventor of a turbine but Ive lost the link now. I remember ther were absolutely no details on how it worked anyway. Do we have i fo on this idea? Have you heard anything?

What do you plan to do with the compressed air?

Small turbines don't put out a lot of power. My not-so-large compressor is 2HP or 1500 watts. That's a good-sized wind turbine and a quite a bit of wind. Plus you're going to need the shaft rpm to match your compressor, which might require a transmission = more weight, complexity and energy loss. IMO you're better off generating electricity and feeding it to a battery pack or the grid, then using the electricity to power your compressor.

ecomodded 10-09-2012 09:08 PM

If you used a large tank, a 10' long tank or better you could fill it with air pressure as a reserve for calm days.
I think you run the air pump backwards or some such thing..? to re-use the stored energy.

rmay635703 10-09-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jago25_98 (Post 332858)

?? No ??

In any event the most efficient use of wind was pumping water, oddly enough. If you have a relatively large pond at the top of a hill and space for one at the bottom as well you can use a pond or lake (or even a river with a reservoir) to store energy also.

In terms of storing air understand that air is VERY ineffient as a storage device, it expands and contracts easily depending on temperature and water vapor content. To efficiently store air its best to store at very low pressures in very large vessels, like for example if you have a cave nearby that is mostly air tight. Alsothe storage density even at high pressure is quite poor, AKA you would need some massive storage tanks much like using gravity and a pair of lakes to store energy.

Ryland 10-09-2012 10:49 PM

It's only better if you otherwise plan to use the electricity you produce to compress air, but air compressors at best turn 30% of their energy in to wasted heat so they are 70% efficient at best and then you have to run something off of that compressed air, another loss!, batteries are closer to 90%.
If your goal is to produce a whole lot of heat with the by product being a bit of compressed air, then yes, this is the way to go.

wmjinman 01-26-2013 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrews (Post 353048)
Storage is very ways to handle all the compressor to manage it properly.

Huh??????????????