EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   World's first hybrid - Porsche Semper Vivus (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/worlds-first-hybrid-porsche-semper-vivus-16247.html)

Piwoslaw 02-26-2011 08:16 AM

World's first hybrid - Porsche Semper Vivus

The 1900 Lohner Porsche Semper Vivus was the world's first gas-electric hybrid, with two 3.5hp electric hub motors. A later version had 4 hub motors, making it the first 4-wheel drive car. The 80 volt bank of 44 batteries weighed in at 1800kg and could not be charged from an external source (as in today's plug-in hybrids) but instead was charged with a rear mounted internal combustion engine.

In 1898 Ferdinand Porsche (only 18 yo at the time) constructed an efficient electrical motor small enough to fit inside a wheel, and two years later built the Semper Vivus with Austrian carriage builder Ludwig Lohner & Co.

Porsche Semper Vivus Hybrid - CarSession.com

Lohner Porsche Semper Vivus

Porsche Semper Vivus - Interia.pl

Arragonis 02-26-2011 10:33 AM

:D Looks fun.

jamesqf 02-26-2011 12:29 PM

In the first picture, is that a brick wall where the radiator usually is?

LUVMY02CREW 02-26-2011 03:31 PM

Thats some pretty slick engineering right there.....

AND..... LMAO at this question:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 222360)

Piwoslaw 02-26-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 222360)

That's what it looks like:confused: My only guess is that it may be to add weight to the front wheels for traction.

Also, both pictures suggest that the engine is in the front, while the info I found stated that it was rear-mounted. I'm willing to bet that there were a few units built, each slightly different. The second, color picture is a restored version from this year's Geneva show.

groar 02-26-2011 04:56 PM

This is incredible how much this man was ahead his time...

Another page with 3 pictures :
The 1899 Lohner Porsche, the first Hybrid Vehicle?

Have fun,

Denis.

TomO 02-26-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groar (Post 222396)
This is incredible how much this man was ahead his time...

Yeah, like over 100 years ahead of his time.

Quote:

The 80 volt bank of 44 batteries weighed in at 1800kg and could not be charged from an external source (as in today's plug-in hybrids) but instead was charged with a rear mounted internal combustion engine.
So does this mean that GM has to pay royalties to Porsche over the Chevy Volt now? :confused:

bwilson4web 02-27-2011 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 222319)
. . . two 3.5hp electric hub motors. . . .

In a time where most carriages had one horse, this was brilliant.

Bob Wilson

Piwoslaw 02-28-2011 11:43 AM

More info in texanidiot25's thread.

jamesqf 02-28-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomO (Post 222406)
So does this mean that GM has to pay royalties to Porsche over the Chevy Volt now? :confused:

No, because the lifetime of a (US) patent is only 20 years.

Indeed, it's just the opposite: GM might not be able to validly patent certain parts of the Volt because Porsche had already done them, making it "prior art".

Small4Seater 03-22-2011 07:22 AM

This is not really a hybrid when only the electric motors power the wheels. It's the same principle behind diesel-electric train engines. Keep the combustion engine at a constant load where it works optimally in order to generate electrical power.

It's kinda like what the Volt was supposed to be.

NeilBlanchard 03-22-2011 09:52 AM

This *is* a series / serial hybrid; not a parallel hybrid. It really is a hybrid; just a different kind of hybrid than we are used to.

jamesqf 03-22-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Small4Seater (Post 226912)
This is not really a hybrid when only the electric motors power the wheels. It's the same principle behind diesel-electric train engines.

No, it's just the opposite of a diesel-electric train, where the electric motor/generator is only acting as a transmission. (If trains are hybrids, then so is every car with an automatic transmission a hydraulic hybrid :-)) The Porsche design had both batteries and an IC engine.

NeilBlanchard 03-23-2011 09:02 AM

If there are batteries or capacitors involved, then it is a series / serial hybrid. In fact, it is the electricity that is the "transmission" between the genset and the electric drive motor, so that is a hybrid, too.

Two types of motors are involved in moving the vehicle = hybrid.

dcb 03-23-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 227241)
Two types of motors are involved in moving the vehicle = hybrid.

How many times does it have to be explained to you? Two types of energy storage NOT involved (i.e. batteries and diesel) = NOT hybrid.

Are you saying the torque converter makes automatic cars a hybrid? you would make the term completely meaningless. It is about storing/reusing braking energy, regardless of the conversion processes.

Hybrid train - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"uses an onboard rechargeable energy storage system "

Does it make sense now?

NeilBlanchard 03-23-2011 10:36 AM

Can an automatic transmission provide power?

Two (or more) types of motors = hybrid.

Piwoslaw 03-23-2011 10:55 AM

When is a hybrid a hybrid?

dcb 03-23-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 227254)
Can an automatic transmission provide power?

Can a motor provide power without electricity? Same deal. A torque converter is half hydraulic pump (generator analog) and half hydraulic motor.
Transmissions 101, a prep course...

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 227254)
Two (or more) types of motors = hybrid.

Wrong, so stop saying it unless you embrace misinformation = irresponsible melonhead.

NeilBlanchard 03-24-2011 08:53 PM

Motors are motors, and transmissions are not motors. The transmission is not a power source.

By your definition, a Prius is not a hybrid -- where does the electricity in the battery come from?

dcb 03-24-2011 09:06 PM

in part from regenerative braking, or from the wall.

If it did not recapture braking energy (or occasionally allow use of a wall socket), hybrids would get really crappy mileage with all that dead weight and complexity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcb (Post 227242)
Hybrid train - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"uses an onboard rechargeable energy storage system "

jamesqf 03-24-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 227685)
Motors are motors, and transmissions are not motors. The transmission is not a power source.

But neither is the motor/generator in a standard diesel-electric locomotive a power source or storage of any kind. It serves exactly the same function as the gears in a manual transmission, or the hydraulics in an automatic, simply transmiting power from engine to wheels while allowing the rotation speed of each to vary.

roflwaffle 03-24-2011 10:20 PM

Edit- NVM, dumb mistake on my part

NeilBlanchard 03-24-2011 10:34 PM

Power source is not the same thing as an energy source. And engine or a motor is a power source. Fuel or electricity is an energy source.

Two different types of power sources, combined in some fashion i.e. hybridized is the definition of a hybrid.

In a standard Prius (not a plugin) even the regenerative braking energy came originally from the gasoline burned earlier. So, if your definition of a hybrid (two different energy sources) is correct, then how is a Prius a hybrid?

The original Porsche was a series (aka serial) hybrid and all the energy in the batteries came from the engine. And a Prius is a parallel / series hybrid, since it can operate in EV (using energy put in the batter by the ICE and/or regen), ICE, and combined, too.

dcb 03-24-2011 10:42 PM

Not doubting you rofl, but can you provide a link to what you are referring to?

It sounds like confirmation of the inefficiency of electric regen on the surface though (soaks up plenty of braking energy but doesn't return much of it).

Either way, it is the rechargeable nature of the battery (or the accumulator) what makes a hybrid useful and not just a very lossy transmission (aka generator/pump running a motor).

The original porsche had batteries.

roflwaffle 03-24-2011 11:05 PM

You should be doubting me, was off by an order of magnitude in the calculation! ;) I used 1300N instead of 13000N for the weight of a 3000lb car. It looks like it's about half the mileage increase on the city cycle with the other half coming from operating only at high load and engine stop/start.

dcb 03-24-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 227706)
...In a standard Prius (not a plugin) even the regenerative braking energy came originally from the gasoline burned earlier. So, if your definition of a hybrid (two different energy sources) is correct, then how is a Prius a hybrid?...

Well a train without batteries doesn't recapture and store that braking energy, or otherwise allow the vehicle to move without the diesel engine being on. If you take the batteries out, then a series hybrid is not a hybrid anymore, it is an electric version of a torque converter, instead of a pump and a motor you have a generator and a motor.

The storing of energy allows more efficient (hybrid) energy management schemes, and not just losses from weird transmissions.

Joenavy85 04-04-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 226992)
No, it's just the opposite of a diesel-electric train, where the electric motor/generator is only acting as a transmission.

Diesel runs a generator, generator powers AC induction motors, and also charges a battery bank. EDIT: foot inserted into mouth, i was thinking of the new GE Evolution Locomotives.

Quote:

(If trains are hybrids, then so is every car with an automatic transmission a hydraulic hybrid :-)) The Porsche design had both batteries and an IC engine.
that's a very long stretch since the Locomotives use Hydraulic motors instead of viscous fluid clutches, but yes you would technically be correct

jamesqf 04-04-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joenavy85 (Post 229720)
that's a very long stretch since the Locomotives use Hydraulic motors instead of viscous fluid clutches, but yes you would technically be correct

Back when I was logging, we used to use rough-terrain forklifts that had a diesel engine driving hydraulic motors that turned the wheels.

roflwaffle 04-06-2011 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcb (Post 227707)
Not doubting you rofl, but can you provide a link to what you are referring to?

It sounds like confirmation of the inefficiency of electric regen on the surface though (soaks up plenty of braking energy but doesn't return much of it).

Either way, it is the rechargeable nature of the battery (or the accumulator) what makes a hybrid useful and not just a very lossy transmission (aka generator/pump running a motor).

The original porsche had batteries.

Wait, I take back my take back! I was using force instead of mass, so while a Prius does have ~13000N of force it only weighs ~1300kg. 25 or so stops from ~11m/s (my guesstimate for the average speed to a stop on the FTP-72) is ~2 million Joules or ~.55kWh worth of energy. I figure round trip efficiency is only ~50%, so that's a contribution of ~.28kWh of energy, which would ordinarily take ~.84kWh of gasoline. The car uses ~7.7kWh of gasoline, so regen probably improves efficiency by ~10+%..

ATaylorRacing 04-16-2012 04:12 PM

I think the William Arnold & Sons 1897 car was the first. On the bottom of page 13 of this link it states...."William Arnold & Sons built Benz-like cars with their own 1.5 hp engines. One was fitted with the first electric self-start dynamotor, which also assisted the engine on hills."
Pioneer Vehicles for Car the Definitive Visual History of the Automobile
The single cylinder motor was ONLY 1,190 cc and the car would run 16 mph