EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Worst personal MPG in almost 3 years (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/worst-personal-mpg-almost-3-years-7172.html)

MetroMPG 02-19-2009 11:29 AM

Worst personal MPG in almost 3 years

WOW. Filled up this week and got a nasty surprise.

I thought I was in store for about a 65 mpg tank according to the ScanGauge, but the fuel receipt/odometer calcs were substantially worse: 55.9 mpg (US) / 4.2 l/100 km / 67.1 mpg (Imp).

The last time I had fuel economy that bad was nearly 3 years ago.

The SG somehow overestimated distance by 34 miles (of 521.8 actual), and underestimated fuel use by 0.83 gallons (US).

Need to recheck my calibration offsets.

Daox 02-19-2009 11:32 AM

Ouch, thats Paseo mileage there. :p

groar 02-19-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 88573)
I thought I was in store for about a 65 mpg tank according to the ScanGauge, but the fuel receipt/odometer calcs were substantially worse: 55.9 mpg (US) / 4.2 l/100 km / 67.1 mpg (Imp).

EPA +39.75%, what a shame !!! ;)

Quote:

The SG somehow overestimated distance by 34 miles (of 521.8 actual), and underestimated fuel use by 0.83 gallons (US).
Did you changed something in your driving ?
Does your driving style depends on seasons ?

Denis.

Deezler 02-19-2009 12:30 PM

Bummer. I bet your friends and co-workers don't like to hear you complain about 56mpg though!

I will shine a bit of positive fuel economy light back into the conversation here and shamelessly plug my personal own best ever document-able tank fill up yesterday (may have had better last summer but couldn't quantify from my own large biodiesel tank). Mine was 48.7 mpg, after driving to Chicago and back at 75 mph. Closing in on you metro!

wagonman76 02-19-2009 01:00 PM

Did someone steal your gas, or did you get ripped off at the pump? Or even a small gas leak?

Last 2 tanks of the Celeb for last year were a bit fishy, last tank being the worst. Fuel use always showed 1-8% above the theoretical injector flow rate. Last tank showed 10% LOW. Either I got ripped off at the pump or someone stole my gas. I'm thinking the latter because the gauge dropped faster than it should have, and there were no fuel leaks.

NachtRitter 02-19-2009 03:51 PM

Shooting to achieve as good as or better than your "worst tank in 3 years" ... :D

cfg83 02-19-2009 07:16 PM

groar -

Quote:

Originally Posted by groar (Post 88578)
EPA +39.75%, what a shame !!! ;)

Did you changed something in your driving ?
Does your driving style depends on seasons ?

Denis.

I second this question. Could the Metro be in need of a tune-up? Can you characterize the weather and/or trips you made?

Maybe there's a gas gremlin afoot in your neighborhood.

CarloSW2

MetroMPG 02-19-2009 10:15 PM

Daox: Paseo mileage! I can hardly stand to look at myself in a mirror! :D

I'm thinking it might be a combination of:

1) short fill last time?

2) I'm definitely doing more "cold start"/non-block heater assisted driving, since the car is too far from a plug this winter. And we know the ScanGauge at best does an educated guess at open loop air/fuel ratios, which I'm experiencing more.

3) Maybe I somehow messed with the distance offset (haven't checked yet).

4) No gas leaks. I'd have noticed that. I've been all around the car, including under the hood and in the hatchback a bunch of times.

5) Maybe the pump is badly calibrated - I've never used that particular gas station in my life.

If I drove the car more regularly, maybe I'd be better able to say where the fuel gauge "should" be at a given distance. Un/fortunately, I don't.

Deezler & NachtRitter - good luck! You've got until late March or early April before I fill up again on my drive back to Ontario.

Frank Lee 02-19-2009 11:11 PM

Might as well park that heap and drive a pickup!

robbiewt 02-20-2009 10:28 AM

Didn't you predict this last November?

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...adio-5959.html