EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Worth a shot.. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/worth-shot-1779.html)

FX2.3 04-08-2008 10:27 PM

Worth a shot..

Hey, I have a lifted 2002 Ranger with 31" All-terrian tires!:D

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...IMG_5027-1.jpg

found a link to yall from www.ranger-forums.com

Gas just hit $3.25 here, so the truck will be going down soon, 18mpg is starting to kill the wallet, though that ain't bad for a truck. It is a 2wd 2.3L 4banger automatic so I believe it has some potental to get 23+ city with the right tires, lowering kit, and tuner.

Correct please!

Ive read that 1 lb of rolling weight it would equal about 8 lbs of static weight. so If I run 235/70TR15 KUMHO Solus KR21 that weigh 27lbs vs my current 31x10.5r15 BFG A/T's at 43lbs each, it would reduce the total rotational mass by about 64lbs, and that would equate about a 512lb reduction in static weight?

SVOboy 04-08-2008 10:35 PM

The rolling weight versus static weight bit depends a lot on where the weight is distributed...I've usually heard something like 1:2 or 1:3, but who knows for sure, really.

Welcome to the site!

AndrewJ 04-08-2008 11:42 PM

And every 100lbs of weight removed is allegedly good or a 1% gain in mileage, so you could potentially see a 5% gain with the tires, just on weight. That'd be around 0.6mpg.

If you could get some of those 235's that are low rolling resistance (LRR) then you'd really be reaping the MPGs. Probably another 1mpg there.

If they seem like kinda dinky gains to you, just remember this.

If you drive 15k miles/year now. that's 789 gallons of gas per year, at $3.25 you're spending $2565

If you gain one single measly mpg, then you use 750 gallons, saving $126.75 per year.

And that's if gas prices stay the same (they won't, it'll be MUCH higher before you know it)

FX2.3 04-09-2008 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewJ (Post 18608)
And every 100lbs of weight removed is allegedly good or a 1% gain in mileage, so you could potentially see a 5% gain with the tires, just on weight. That'd be around 0.6mpg.

If you could get some of those 235's that are low rolling resistance (LRR) then you'd really be reaping the MPGs. Probably another 1mpg there.

If they seem like kinda dinky gains to you, just remember this.

If you drive 15k miles/year now. that's 789 gallons of gas per year, at $3.25 you're spending $2565

If you gain one single measly mpg, then you use 750 gallons, saving $126.75 per year.

And that's if gas prices stay the same (they won't, it'll be MUCH higher before you know it)

True. Prices have gone up here $0.30 in about 5 days..

Stock the truck got around 20 mpg city, though back then I could fill up the whole tank for less than $20! I remember $1.25 gas I think in 2000, before I started driving..

alot of good information on this site, though I am confussed about this:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...dboy/taco1.jpg
judging by a picture of my truck I have almost 20 degrees and the ideal is 12 like in this pic, so would just a tailgate spoiler fix this or is the whole bed cover needed?

SVOboy 04-09-2008 12:25 AM

If your slope it too much, you could have the aerocover extend past the end of the bed a bit or have it end up a bit higher. Also, you might be able to get attached flow with a bit more curvature, I don't think it's a hard and fast rule.

Funny 04-09-2008 12:51 AM

I believe I read elsewhere in the forums that 10 degrees was the ideal to shoot for. After that the air doesn't "stick" and you get turbulence. If you "have" to have it end at the top of the tailgate, make it an arc and not a plane. This is in congruence with what SVOboy posted :thumbup:.

FX2.3 04-09-2008 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funny (Post 18622)
I believe I read elsewhere in the forums that 10 degrees was the ideal to shoot for. After that the air doesn't "stick" and you get turbulence. If you "have" to have it end at the top of the tailgate, make it an arc and not a plane. This is in congruence with what SVOboy posted :thumbup:.

do you think this would work? not sure if it is too planey..

http://www.hillbankmotorsports.com/p...ducts_id=10652
http://aim.search.aol.com/search/red...lipspoiler.jpg

RH77 04-09-2008 02:27 AM

It is cost-effective to add or trade to a small car as a commuter, or are you locked into the Ranger?

Otherwise:
  • Lose the lift and lower if you can
  • Go with the smallest tire/wheel combo
  • Calculate spoiler placement carefully
  • Consider frontal and side aero treatments

Step #1: Reduce top speed and learn driving techniques to maximize fuel economy.

Figure shift points for your automatic to either lift-to-shift or allow the vehicle to do so "automatically". Best FE to you.

RH77

Daox 04-09-2008 08:13 AM

Welcome to the site FX2.3! 18 mpg may not seem bad to you, but consider this. I know another someone with an 03 Ranger that is averaging 38+ mpg. 'Ain't bad' is really all perspective. You'll be amazed at what you can get out of your truck if your willing to change a few things (including the way you drive).

FX2.3 04-09-2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH77 (Post 18632)
It is cost-effective to add or trade to a small car as a commuter, or are you locked into the Ranger?

Otherwise:
  • Lose the lift and lower if you can
  • Go with the smallest tire/wheel combo
  • Calculate spoiler placement carefully
  • Consider frontal and side aero treatments

Step #1: Reduce top speed and learn driving techniques to maximize fuel economy.

Figure shift points for your automatic to either lift-to-shift or allow the vehicle to do so "automatically". Best FE to you.

RH77

I am a college student so another vehicle is beyond my means and the sentimental value to me does not allow me to trade as it is my first vehicle and I baby it.. Besides, I like modding what I have as it started out as a basic work truck with only automatic, A/C, Cloth seats, and a rear window slider as options..

1. lowering is cheap, all I need is new coils, put on the stock spindles, and some grade 8 bolts to flip the rear hangers.. around $70 total plus install..

2. tires on the other hand are a tad more expensive then lowering but are needed before I can lower as I could not fit these 31" tires stock.. I need to find a nice set of stock size alloys around 15x7 to fit smaller tires..:thumbup:

3. The spoiler will depend on how it is mounted, Im not sure if something stuck on with double sided tape could do much good?

4. I had a billet grille but felt I out grew that phase.. Not sure if that would have helped with the aero or not.. I know the heavy diamond plate skid plate I installed does not help more than the stock plastic one did..

Thanks for the help! I will change my driving habits as it is free to do and see how much that changes my mpg..

Is that 38mpg on the 03 hwy or mixed?