Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ecomoded rv brick with little success if any

Last summer I installed a partial boat tail, if you can call it that. wings down the side angled in at 12%, a kamback, a small front dam, fender skirts, a grill block, I also installed my spare tire on the front bumper, I tested this on a 1000km run with basically no change in mpg still on or around 16 mpg. I have since installed skirts between the front and rear wheels along the sides and started a belly pan these are not tested, I removed some mirrors and the roof racks, but installed a small chimney for the new heater on the roof. The van handles much better and is quieter, I find myself creeping up around 90-95 kph where I used to be comfortable at 80-85 kph.

any advice or ideas greatly appreciated

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-07-2013, 05:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I think you need to go much, much larger on that trailing edge stuff.

Now THESE wipers are probably out in the air stream. Can they be parked vertically or removed? My Fords have easy to remove wiper arms so I keep them stowed in the cab.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
flying kurmaster (01-07-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
radioranger

got an idea here, I had a ford van and made a foam copy of the nose of a UPS truck, the newer models are pretty rounded off in front and helped a lot on my crude testing runs, better than 10% difference in 45 to 65 accell runs, this was about 25 years ago, but check out you local ups guys truck, i think it might help to shovel some of the air aside instead of over, think of a clear headlight cover rounded to push air right or left,
The Following User Says Thank You to radioranger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2013, 05:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Nose looks OK to me; it's those A-pillars that suck.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

thanks guys Frank you are probably right about going bigger out the back but I didn'twant to look to strange, so decided on the box theory out of a coventry study someone pointed me to. Since testing it though I did add the supports under the kamback because I started thinking that it may have been flopping, not tested since the changes.
RR As for the front I wondered if I negtated all gains by installing my spare out there, I was thinking of improving the front by removing the existing bumper and installing a 2 inch alluminium tube that I have fabricated then ducting the air under the van along the, to be completed belly pan, not sure if I would be better off with an air dam or that idea??? or perhaps a bit of both. I was also wondering about the front roof line wether I should make that a complete radius back into where the wipers connect. I see a lot of bugs getting killed in that area so assume air is bagning in there. I did a test on my scooter with a straight hand sticking out at the top of my windscreen compared to a closed fist, the fist seemed to have less drag and was quieter, I plan on removing the centre three clearance lights, and installing small flush LEDs on the outside instead of the ones on there.
Do you really think the wipers make a worthwhile difference??
Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

Party's in the back. Study the new trailer tail design, maybe like the articulating convex panels...
The Following User Says Thank You to botsapper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

bspr, that is what I had in mind when I did the back wings, but the plexi gave me an idea I could extend mine with plexi that way it wouldn't stand out as much nor would it block my tail lights but it may interfere with my scooter rack but perhaps they can be movable.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying kurmaster View Post
bspr, that is what I had in mind when I did the back wings, but the plexi gave me an idea I could extend mine with plexi...
Don't use plexi (clear acrylic), it will degrade & shatter too easily. Recommend lexan (clear polycarbonate), could heat it and put a soft radii with a bending brake.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
The van handles much better and is quieter, I find myself creeping up around 90-95 kph where I used to be comfortable at 80-85 kph.

I'd say that success was achieved . . if not the exact goal. Handling crosswinds is a very big part of FE when it comes to vehicles like this.

Can you add cruise control? Both KENWORTH and CUMMINS require it's use for FE concious fleet improvements. Keeping speed down is part of that. And setting it below target speed is a way of not falling too far off when in hilly terrain. Etc.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

you are right Slowmower there has been a degree of success, I am not giving up, I am happy with the improvements in handling and the lower noise. I assume that once the bellpan is finished it will be quieter still. One of the biggest issue with this vehicle is the gearing, it flies up hills and takes off like a bullet but howles at highway speed, not sure if I will ever install a cruise control, might be beyond my knowledge or motivation. last year you asked about the interior, I loaded some shots on my album if you are still interested.

Reply  Post New Thread