EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   For Sale (https://ecomodder.com/forum/sale.html)
-   -   WTB: Honda CRX any year pref automatic/please help (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/wtb-honda-crx-any-year-pref-automatic-please-8577.html)

novastar83 05-31-2009 05:31 AM

WTB: Honda CRX any year pref automatic/please help

Hi,

Im looking for any year Honda CRX preferably an automatic but would be willing to learn a manual, in good condition. I have $2700 to my name so i could realistically spend around $1500 on it but cheaper would be better.If anyone in Martinsburg, WV or surrounding area could help me out that would be great. I want one because i am a poor person and cant pay high gas prices, plus i love the way the car looks :)

Wonderboy 05-31-2009 10:03 AM

Use craigslist - there are still quite a few CRXs out there, but most are riced out and are at least $2k. You could get lucky, but you need to look at craigslist for your surrounding area (I suggest using crazedlist dot com or similar service) oh about every 3 hours to make sure someone doesn't snatch up the one you want before you see the ad. I've been searching on CL for a CRX for an EV conversion for a while now, and it's hard to come by a CRX in even the worst condition for under $500. I would suggest getting a geo metro or similar variant because ricers aren't after them, they are more pervasive/easier to come by, can afford similar if not better mileage than a CRX, and are typically less expensive. It may also be easier to get cheap and/or used parts for a metro/variant. I know the feeling though - that's a stylish little car and I want one too, but I won't have to worry about finding sought-after ICE components once I convert it. Good luck :)

novastar83 05-31-2009 02:50 PM

Thanks for the response wounderboy, ive found 2 crx's in the DC area for $1,500 in seemly good condition, one is even an HF!

1989 Honda CRX HF 5spd

1991 Honda Civic CRX Hatchback 2d

Only problem is that there location is a bit to far for me to go to just look at a car :(

Wonderboy 05-31-2009 03:19 PM

If I were in your shoes, I'd be concerned more about the condition of the body than if it runs well. If you can find something (one of your finds, for instance - the HFs are awesome, I don't think they ever came in automatic though :rolleyes:) that can drive you home at least, then you should be golden if you're not afraid of an engine swap. Compatible parts are probably much easier to find than actual full bodies with clean titles. Remember: If by off chance you land yourself a lemon with a shot engine, you can always do a VX swap - it's easy!

This may be too extreme for you, but if an engine swap is not out of the question for you, try to find the cheapest crx you can find, see how long you can get out of the stock engine if you're worried about that, then scope out a swap candidate - if you're lucky you can get a cheap, non-riced crx for 500-1000, then pay another ~$520 for a new engine, which leaves you with about the same net price you're looking for + a bit of labor time. YMMV, so it depends on how much work you're willing to do or if you just need something pretty quickly that just works.

All the best,
Will