EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   For Sale (https://ecomodder.com/forum/sale.html)
-   -   WTB Stock civic VX hatchback (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/wtb-stock-civic-vx-hatchback-18330.html)

ls40095 07-29-2011 04:34 PM

WTB Stock civic VX hatchback

Will pay cash and strongly consider lengthy traveling. Will consider all options but would rather find drivable car to fly out and drive home. Currently located on East Coast in Pa.

Thank You

Ryland 07-29-2011 05:25 PM

What is your price range? many of us who have Civic VX's plan to keep them, but everyone has their price.

ls40095 07-29-2011 07:48 PM

$2500 to $5000

TwoBryans 12-02-2011 09:39 PM

If you have found one, I would also appreciate any leads on one.

ls40095 12-02-2011 10:15 PM

In search of my VX

Ive been looking for months and outside of traveling to California to find a decent VX, I have not found what Im looking for but Im quite happy with my 1994 CX, that has the same transmission.....I'm totally seriously getting 45 to 50mpg.

My hatch is non molested, totally original. Im running new Kuhmo Solus 13inch orig size tires at 40PSI, Rotella synthetic changed every 2k and REDLINE transmission fluid.....I think this has a lot to do with my MPG. the REDLINE made a huge difference. Im pulling hills in 2nd gear that I previously did in 1st and almost no lugging. The engine internally is the cleanest Ive ever seen at 122k and the 40psi makes a big difference also but you have to watch out for any potholes...So all in all, Im not missing much, possibly 5% mpg less with my CX, compared to a VX.

Cd 12-02-2011 10:39 PM

Well i guess you are in luck, because if you refresh your screen, there are now several postings for VXs for sale when you go to 'recent posts '
I have never seen so many VXs for sale all at once.

I even had to check and see what forum i was in .

ls40095 12-02-2011 11:11 PM

Wow...If I was in boston I would be looking at that car tomorrow but Im still happy with my CX with 120ishk

TwoBryans 12-03-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cd (Post 272865)
Well i guess you are in luck, because if you refresh your screen, there are now several postings for VXs for sale when you go to 'recent posts '
I have never seen so many VXs for sale all at once.

I even had to check and see what forum i was in .

Thank you very much for your response!

That is actually my fault. There are no new threads.

I went back about a year to ones that had been posted, inquiring if they were still for sale hoping that some might be because most had not been posted as sold.

If you run across anything, please let me know. I really want a white manual trans one with a/c. Will consider others, buy will pay a premium for what I really want.:D

foamham 12-29-2011 02:50 AM

if anyone has a vx for sale with under 100k pm me with your asking price and pics prefer red but will consider other colors willing to pay for the right car
thanks!

Ryland 12-29-2011 09:13 AM

The last time I saw a Civic VX on Ebay that was in decent shape it sold for over $5,000 and the last one I found on Craigslist in my area sold in about an hour and it wasn't even listed as a VX but you could tell from the photos.
So I'm not sure how easy it is going to be to find one, but if you do find one I act fast.

foamham 12-30-2011 03:22 AM

never said i wasnt prepared to pay missed one a few days ago with 56k on cars.com would have paid substantially more than the dealer was asking when he sold it

hondaguy72 12-30-2011 03:12 PM

1995 Honda Civic VX 2Dr Hatchback 5-Speed Manual! ALL Original!

High miles, but looks pretty nice. I wouldn't be too worried about higher mileage vx's due to the very low gear ratios. It's very hard to beat on these cars.

foamham 12-30-2011 08:26 PM

well i am willing to pay a pretty pretty penny for a clean low milage car if any one knows of one

Ryland 12-31-2011 01:10 AM

I see no reason not to buy one that has 200,000 miles or more on it, I bought both of mine with that many and other then replacing the o2 sensor and a few mufflers they have been very solid, I had a transmission main bearing wear out at 230,000 miles and cost $150 for a good used transmission and in the same car I ended up replacing the drivers seat, but if you look at what low mile VX's are selling for, you can almost buy brand new drivers seat and transmission and still come out ahead, I would sooner opt for a VX nearly 300,000 miles that didn't have rust as everything else is solid, cheap and easy to replace.

foamham 12-31-2011 05:40 AM

you'r right. They are perfectly good cars at higher mileage, well taken care of I am just looking and willing to pay well for a low mileage one if any body knows one or has one that they would like to name a price on let me know lol im looking for under 75k miles red or blue preferably a/c dosent matter I won't call you crazy if you quote high. thanks!

sheepdog 44 01-02-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 277027)
I see no reason not to buy one that has 200,000 miles or more on it, I bought both of mine with that many and other then replacing the o2 sensor and a few mufflers they have been very solid, I had a transmission main bearing wear out at 230,000 miles and cost $150 for a good used transmission and in the same car I ended up replacing the drivers seat, but if you look at what low mile VX's are selling for, you can almost buy brand new drivers seat and transmission and still come out ahead, I would sooner opt for a VX nearly 300,000 miles that didn't have rust as everything else is solid, cheap and easy to replace.

I would some input on this car i want to buy to see if its a good deal. Also wondering if the engine is stock and in good condition for its age. What would i be getting into buying a 195,000 mile car as far as dependability and life expectancy? What should i look for when its being inspected?

My current car has 128,000 miles but gets 28mpg and weighs a ton. Would i only have a 100,000 mile life expectancy with the VX?

Car has 195,000 miles. bad rust on the rear wheel wells and a good ding or two. Asking is $1,800. Might get it at $1,500. Whats your opinion, is either price good? Here are the pictures:

(add http at the front, i cant post links yet.)
://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/robert-0137/Civic%20VX%20195k/]Civic VX 195k pictures by robert-0137 - Photobucket

California98Civic 01-02-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 (Post 277448)
I would some input on this car i want to buy to see if its a good deal. Also wondering if the engine is stock and in good condition for its age. What would i be getting into buying a 195,000 mile car as far as dependability and life expectancy? What should i look for when its being inspected?

My current car has 128,000 miles but gets 28mpg and weighs a ton. Would i only have a 100,000 mile life expectancy with the VX?

Car has 195,000 miles. bad rust on the rear wheel wells and a good ding or two. Asking is $1,800. Might get it at $1,500. Whats your opinion, is either price good? Here are the pictures:

(add http at the front, i cant post links yet.)
://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/robert-0137/Civic%20VX%20195k/]Civic VX 195k pictures by robert-0137 - Photobucket

I drive a slightly younger DX with 190K miles on it. Few problems but they do happen. The owners of VXs above maybe answer your question better. I would not be concerned much about high mileage, but the rust could indicate problems elsewhere: that much rust on the easily cleaned body surface suggests too little attention and that there will also be significant rust in other more important and harder to clean areas. Good luck.

Ryland 01-02-2012 06:47 PM

Civic VX 195k pictures by robert-0137 - Photobucket is the link you tried to post, if anyone else wants to check it out.
That civic VX looks to be 100% stock, other then the bondo and red duct tape, and tires that are a size wider (very common) then stock, the rust is common and I've seen worse but it tends to grow fast if nothing is done about it.
I see no reason that it wouldn't last to 300,000 miles if the body lasts that long, so really it's going to depend on if you put 20,000 miles a year on your car or 5,000 miles a year as to how many miles it will last.
Things to look for of course are the o2 sensor, it will stumble at while at cruising speed and feel like you are loosing power, also assume that the timing belt was last changed 95,000 miles ago unless the current owner says otherwise, the timing belt is good for 100,000 to 120,000 miles and a used engine is the cheapest way to fix a broken timing belt, you might also check to see what the compression is on the engine (warmed up, throttle open) it should be 195psi to 210psi, even with 195,000 miles.
If they jack points are solid and everything else looks ok I say buy it! if they will take $1,500 then good job.

klroth025 01-09-2012 06:10 PM

I am currently driving a '94 VX w/ 212k on the clock. I get 40-43mpg combined 85%city 15%hwy. And yes... trans bearing is noisy, still driving it though!

foamham 01-09-2012 06:50 PM

there are how to pages on the civic forums if you search for civic d input shaft bearing how to that's taking into account any of you that are mechanically inclined and get a manual which can be downloaded as a pdf if searched for

ps2fixer 01-14-2012 08:08 AM

For those looking for Honda Civic VXs, try this google search out *note this is site wide*

Some might be deleted, check the date of posting before contacting and of course their location.

site:craigslist.org honda civic vx

Ryland 01-14-2012 10:35 AM

Trouble with searching for a VX is that not everyone realizes that the trim level is something they should post in their ad, so some people are just selling it as a civic hatch back, of course civic hatch backs are rare enough and the older civic hatch backs also get pretty decent mileage and are nice cars so I think it's worth searching for any hatch back, of course not everyone puts the word "hatchback" in their ad either, so finding them gets even harder, of course you are going to get the best deal on a car that was poorly advertised.

user removed 01-14-2012 11:09 AM

Look for the VX wheels.
Make sure it has the VX transmission.
Know the differences between the VX engine and other engines, in case the engine has been swapped.
There was one for sale on the Richmond Va craigslist, but they wanted $3500 and it had over 200k miles.

regards
Mech

ps2fixer 01-14-2012 12:10 PM

Being a Honda, does it really make that much of a difference with 200k miles? Japanese cars are built well and last a long time, my car is a 1992 Toyota Camry with 302k miles on it, and it has the same power/mpg as my dad's 92 with 200k miles on it, and comparable to my mom's 95 with around 140k miles (she drives harder on it so worse mileage than ours). All are basically the same body style with very small changes (turn signal delete on bumper) and all have the same design of 2.2L engine.

sheepdog 44 01-17-2012 05:20 PM

Some nice cars to far away from me.
Stock nice looking white vx (prefer majestic blue)
1992 Honda Civic VX
Another vx nice color. SUSPICIOUS LOOKING ENGINE BAY.
~!~ 1993 HONDA CIVIC VX *v.tec* stock

Ryland 01-17-2012 06:19 PM

Both of those look like great deals, no rust, stock engines, the 2nd one, the red one, is a stock engine, it's just missing the air intake, but you can buy those at junk yards or buy them new from the dealership.
They both also have A/C and the stock alloy wheels, the red one almost looks like the grey paint on the alloy has been scrubbed off and that they might be polished up, back to the engine in the red civic, you can see the 5 wire o2 sensor next to the dip stick, spark plugs are at the front of the valve cover and radiator is half sized, all signs that it's a stock VX engine.

The first one sounds exactly like what TwoBryans is looking for too so I sent him a TwoBryans a message to make sure he knows about this.

klroth025 01-17-2012 07:25 PM

My VX is red also. I thought about polishing my wheels... then figured that wouldn't improve my mpg, so scratch that! Both cars look good. I don't think that cold air intake on the red car would affect anything. Makes me wish I had a ticket to Tampa and a couple extra grand in the bank.

TwoBryans 01-17-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 (Post 280330)
Some nice cars to far away from me.
Stock nice looking white vx (prefer majestic blue)
1992 Honda Civic VX
Another vx nice color. SUSPICIOUS LOOKING ENGINE BAY.
~!~ 1993 HONDA CIVIC VX *v.tec* stock

Found the red one last night and called first thing this morning. They already had two people coming and because I was out of the area and requesting more pics(interior), they told me they were sure one of the other two folks were going to buy it and hung up on me.

Called on the white one and had to leave a VM. Doubt I even get a call back. It will either be sold or they will not bother to return the call.

If anyone has someone they trust in the Tampa area that could assist, I have no problem renumerating them for their service.

Biggest issue I have run into so far has been that people are suspicious that I am calling from so far away and think it is some kind of scam. One of the hardest purchases I have made. I have bought $60k cars from across the country and had no problem at all. I am bewildered at some peoples attitudes, but I guess it is an unfortunate byproduct of the times we live in.:(

caleb 01-21-2012 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have 2 1995 VX's. Would consider selling one of them. Its red with 130K miles. Bought it at 105K miles from second owner. Have her ~10 years of records. Gets 50 mpg regularly on highways. Best 2 tank average 64 mpg driving interstate highway at 55-60 mph. No A/C, interior in perfect shape, no cloth tears. Exterior has some small scratches and a few bumper marks but looks great from 10 ft away. 1/2" of rust bubbles visible around rear passenger wheel well.

I really love this car and plan to drive it forever, but it is my second one. Not planning to sell, but everything is for sale for the right price, right? ;) would take $5000 today for it and delivery wherever buyer would like. Would deliver east coast from VA to MA for free as was planning a trip with it next weekend.

TwoBryans 01-21-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caleb (Post 281271)
I have 2 1995 VX's. Would consider selling one of them. Its red with 130K miles. Bought it at 105K miles from second owner. Have her ~10 years of records. Gets 50 mpg regularly on highways. Best 2 tank average 64 mpg driving interstate highway at 55-60 mph. No A/C, interior in perfect shape, no cloth tears. Exterior has some small scratches and a few bumper marks but looks great from 10 ft away. 1/2" of rust bubbles visible around rear passenger wheel well.

I really love this car and plan to drive it forever, but it is my second one. Not planning to sell, but everything is for sale for the right price, right? ;) would take $5000 today for it and delivery wherever buyer would like. Would deliver east coast from VA to MA for free as was planning a trip with it next weekend.

I greatly appreciate the offer, but the lack of A/C and Rust killed a deal for me on one on Cape Cod this week on a one owner red 1995 VX with 61k original miles for $3900. Here is the ad if it will help anyone.:D

1995 Honda Civic VX Hatchback **50MPG** ONLY 61,000 miles

Probably a good deal for someone here, but not acceptable for my use.

TwoBryans 01-26-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 280348)
the red one almost looks like the grey paint on the alloy has been scrubbed off and that they might be polished up

This one popped back up this week and I called again. After being somewhat rude and hanging up on me last time, they said the buyers thought would take it when I called before lowballed them and didn't take the car. That really made me think something might be up. So, I pressed them for better, more detailed pics and the VIN for a history report before going any further. Upon reviewing the photos(which now, they were courteous enough to supply cosmetic defect photos as well),I found that there was shoddy paintwork, body damage and a fair amount of rust.

Additionally when asked about the wheels, the guy told me he painted them with silver/chrome paint and that he does that with all his cars. I also noted when googling his phone number that he has had 8-10 cars for sale recently.

I asked him to clarify for sure about the miles and he said as far as he knew, they were accurate and original at 135k. However, the AutoCheck report tells a whole other story.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/o...1-page-001.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/o...2-page-001.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/o...3-page-001.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/o...4-page-001.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/o...5-page-001.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/o...6-page-001.jpg

After telling them about the serious mileage discrepancy and telling them that based on the body damage and rust, that I was not interested at their asking price. Then, they wanted to know what I was offering. I then asked them what they had been previously offered to which I really didn't think I was going to get and honest answer. They responded with $2350 which based on an original asking price of $2800, I didn't feel was a lowball offer at all considering the "real" condition that potential buyers would actually see when they got there to see the car in person. So I felt that was actually a very good offer based on the photos and Mileage discrepancy. I told them I would not pay that and they should contact the person that offered that and sell it to them because for that car, it was a very good offer. Of course, they did not respond any further.

California98Civic 01-26-2012 05:53 PM

He is hiding stuff, lots of it. 247K miles in 2008 means that's not the original odo/speedo cluster, seems to me. If it were me, I would not buy it without a careful in person inspection with a buddy more knowledgeable than me along.

TwoBryans 01-26-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 282648)
He is hiding stuff, lots of it. 247K miles in 2008 means that's not the original odo/speedo cluster, seems to me. If it were me, I would not buy it without a careful in person inspection with a buddy more knowledgeable than me along.

I'm confident he knew, as he was careful with his choice of words. He also didn't want to deal with me at first because I was long distance, until he couldn't get the car sold locally. At least he sent me pics of the bad stuff after being pressed for it. I don't think he would have liked me very much if I had flown down there and found the stuff in the pics and not been told about it. He is obviously hustling cars, but I don't care about that. I just don't want to get jerked around or screwed if I can prevent it.

Biggist problem I am running into is that when the car is long distance(as most are), they sell quickly if they are in decent shape. The ones that are a pos seem to hang around and I don't want a pos. This is quite difficult to find a nice, clean car at a fair price(or just about any price for that matter) where the seller will work with me to make a deal long distance.:(

sheepdog 44 02-01-2012 03:28 PM

More things that i find that fall out of what i'm looking for. Been thinking about getting a motor cycle during spring for commute.

connecticut
94 civic vx 49k miles no rust cold ac $5,000
1994 Honda Civic VX Hatchback 49,000 miles

user removed 02-01-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 (Post 283931)
More things that i find that fall out of what i'm looking for. Been thinking about getting a motor cycle during spring for commute.

connecticut

Never seen one with the antenna on the right side. Wheels are not original VX. Might be a DX he thinks will bring more money if it was a VX.

regards
Mech

TwoBryans 02-01-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

connecticut

Contacted the seller at 2:24PM EST and the seller responded back at 2:57PM that a sale was pending. They did at least agree to contact me if the deal fell through, but I am not hopeful that I will hear anything else.:(

TwoBryans 02-01-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 283947)
Never seen one with the antenna on the right side. Wheels are not original VX. Might be a DX he thinks will bring more money if it was a VX.

regards
Mech

Agreed! Lots of question marks on this one for a car advertised as a one owner 49k original mile car. I was trying, but the seller did not really seem to want to communicate after a deal was struck.:confused:

TwoBryans 02-01-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 282648)

I have still been watching this one and as recently as yesterday, it was still being advertised as 135000 miles even though I sent him the AutoCheck documentation a week ago. He is obviously fishing for a buyer and plans to screw them by not disclosing that the actual miles are unknown.:rolleyes:

bbd1254 02-02-2012 02:10 AM

bump

BUMP:turtle:

California98Civic 02-02-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

connecticut

Craig's list says this listing was deleted by it's author. He/she was hiding something(s) and now is hiding the whole car! That's better for the world probably.