Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi from Northern Kentucky

Hi all--

My name is Auston (pronounced the same way as Austin, Texas, just spelled differently) and I've been hypermiling since about the first of the year. I replaced my first car, a '95 LeSabre with the 2000 Echo (2 door, 5 speed) last October to get better mileage...and really, it's just been up and up from there.

Broke college student + $3/gallon = I cared about gas prices when I didn't give a hoot before

I've gotten the Echo up into the low to mid 60's from a baseline of 29 (the more recent tanks in my mileage logs). I pretty much throw the entire book at it but would like to know if there's anything I might be missing? Thanks in advance.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-02-2008, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Looks like you are already off to a great start! If you do highway driving, you may want to check out our aeromodding section.

Welcome

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Welcome to ecomodder. What're you studying in school?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
Looks like you are already off to a great start! If you do highway driving, you may want to check out our aeromodding section.

Welcome
Hi Johnny--

I'm not quite as eager to jump into Basjoosing my car (his car is not a chick magnet, sorry, LOL) but I am certainly looking into putting a grill block, especially as winter comes around the corner. Also the underbody is pretty rough underneath, any good ideas for smoothing it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Welcome to ecomodder. What're you studying in school?
Hi SVOboy--

I'm currently majoring in Economics but I'm going to see in the next couple days if I can pull a double major in political science. Thing is so much of the stuff overlaps that even with two majors and two minors I'll still graduate with barely the minimum 128 credits required.

Looks great on paper but really didn't require much effort.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Truck - '97 Ford Ranger
90 day: 30.32 mpg (US)
wow ur doing good, im in the same boat, gas only costs you $3.00? is $4.00 here right now and just came down. I wish I had a small car like that (but couldn't pop kayak into it), and i don't really have money for an upgrade
Old 09-02-2008, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenitup View Post
wow ur doing good, im in the same boat, gas only costs you $3.00? is $4.00 here right now and just came down. I wish I had a small car like that (but couldn't pop kayak into it), and i don't really have money for an upgrade
Hi greenitup--

It was $3.xx when I told myself that enough was enough, I'm spending a small fortune on gas.

I wish it was still $3/per. I've seen as high as $4.269 (which is more than expensive than beer, even per gallon... Keystone Light is ~$4.263/per if you get the 30 case). I'm still paying $3.50+ today though.

You know you've got a problem when beer is cheaper than gas. Or is that a good thing? Drink, don't (or can't afford to) drive.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
lamebums -

Welcome to EM! Switching to the Echo was a great move. Switching to the ... oops! What has been your favorite mod/strategy for MPG?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 09-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
lamebums -

Welcome to EM! Switching to the Echo was a great move. Switching to the ... oops! What has been your favorite mod/strategy for MPG?

CarloSW2
Hi cfg83--

So far it's just a bone stock Echo. The tires have been "properly inflated" (no additional comment ) and the oil's just been replaced with full synthetic. Other than that it's just modifying driving style that's allowed me to double my gas mileage and then some. I'm hoping a grill block will help reduce the damage done during the winter, plus maybe mod the underbody (to say it is smooth is to say a Prius < 40 MPH is a gas guzzler).
Old 09-03-2008, 12:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
lamebums -

Wow. I knew the Echo was an MPG machine, but 50 MPG @ bone stock just rocks.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 09-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Hey lamebums. Good to see you on EM. Its a great place to get ideas when you've pushed as far as you have with driving style alone. Mods won't give you the improvements you've seen with driving style unless you go all out crazy, but there are definitly things you can do to improve mileage.

For the grill block I'd be completely comfortable blocking the entire upper portion of the grill. I'd go with a nice black coroplast over it with something similar to what I did with the Matrix (see my build thread). It would be very easy to make, decrease aero drag, and decrease warm up time. For winter, I'd probably mostly or entirely block the bottom section too. You'll have to watch the SG to make sure your coolant temps don't go too high and since you drive some city (IIRC) listen for your radiator fan when you come to stops. If its kicking in a lot you have too much blocked. The fan will start kicking in so much that it'll negate the benefits of the block. Grill blocks are a great place to start though.