EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModder Blog Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodder-blog-discussion.html)
-   -   Yaris and Fit to Become Dueling Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/yaris-fit-become-dueling-hybrids-9673.html)

SVOboy 08-16-2009 09:01 AM

Yaris and Fit to Become Dueling Hybrids

The Fit and Yaris have been dueling hatchbacks for years now, but it looks like they might soon become dueling hybrids. Rumors of both popular cars becoming hybrids have come and gone over the last few years, but it looks like it will stick this time for both of them. Especially now that sedans like [...]Related posts:
  1. Honda Sees Hybrids in the Future
  2. IBM Says All Cars Will be Hybrids by 2020
  3. Are Mild Hybrids Wasted Investment?

More...

Cd 08-16-2009 09:49 AM

Only for sale in Japan ...right ?

Cd 08-16-2009 10:56 AM

Good God I have no life.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/...53a133c6_o.jpg

alohaspirit 08-16-2009 02:09 PM

yeah

went too far with the spotlights and solar flares

:p

Cd 08-16-2009 03:46 PM

It's supposed to be a boxing ring. ( " Dueling Hybrids " ) ;)

Cd 08-16-2009 03:48 PM

So are these cars going to be available in the U.S. ?

alohaspirit 08-16-2009 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cd (Post 121643)
It's supposed to be a boxing ring. ( " Dueling Hybrids " ) ;)

ah, i get it now

i think i would have got it if there was a boxing glove

http://leegaddis.files.wordpress.com...xing-glove.jpg

Christ 08-16-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cd (Post 121592)

Good Gods, you have no life.

RobertSmalls 08-16-2009 07:44 PM

The Yaris hybrid "will have a price tag of about 1.5 million yen (15,600 dollars), cheaper than Toyota's existing hybrids, and is expected to be sold in Japan, Europe and the United States" according to the rumor mill.

I don't get the Fit Hybrid. It seems too similar to the 2010 Insight to be worth building.

wdb 08-16-2009 07:57 PM

Nice to see the Fit on top. :)

I think a Fit hybrid will have more of impact on hybrid sales than the Insight, due to the Fit's longstanding popularity worldwide. It should also move the price point for hybrids even lower.

MetroMPG 08-16-2009 08:51 PM

So is Honda going to cannibalize the sales of its Civic hybrid with the Insight, and the Insight with the Fit hybrid?

NeilBlanchard 08-16-2009 09:15 PM

Hi,

I hope that Honda goes in "the opposite" direction of their other hybrids, and makes the Fit a plug in serial hybrid. The Fit is a much better chassis/car than the new Insight, so yes, I think they will hurt their own sales.

Christ 08-16-2009 11:58 PM

Anyone think the Yaris will internally compete with Prii? I doubt it, I don't think they're even remotely the same car class.

wdb 08-18-2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 121693)
The Fit is a much better chassis/car than the new Insight...

Actually the Insight and Fit share the same chassis. I think the Insight has a slightly stretched wheelbase.

cfg83 08-18-2009 10:30 PM

Christ -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 121731)
Anyone think the Yaris will internally compete with Prii? I doubt it, I don't think they're even remotely the same car class.

Yeah, if it's the Yaris 2-door hatchback, then that would be akin to a 1st Gen Insight without the aerodynamics.

CarloSW2

Christ 08-18-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 122114)
Christ -

Yeah, if it's the Yaris 2-door hatchback, then that would be akin to a 1st Gen Insight without the aerodynamics.

CarloSW2

So they're basically shooting for a hybrid for the "non-hippie"... or a jump away from the image of the "Pious" of SouthPark fame.

cfg83 08-19-2009 03:30 AM

Christ -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 122118)
So they're basically shooting for a hybrid for the "non-hippie"... or a jump away from the image of the "Pious" of SouthPark fame.

Yar, a few years ago they stated in public that their whole lineup would offer hybrid options, but that was before the economy went into the tank. Maybe they're returning to that gameplan. This would follow my(?) "trickle-down" theory of first-generation Hybrid drivetrain cost being defrayed/absorbed by big-profit SUVs and statement-Prius', and then finally making their way down to compact cars, where we would argue they belonged in the first place.

CarloSW2

Christ 08-19-2009 03:36 AM

Touche...

You actually bring a good point... most people may think it's "wrong", but subsidy pays for just about everything "the little guy" has or will have, whether they know it or not. The fact that some JA out there is willing to pay $200,000 for a Tesla, over time, eventually trickles down into a sub $20k family sedan with more than reasonable (compared to other EV's of today) expectations. That's called "operating capital subsidizing". It's life, in business.

cfg83 08-19-2009 04:00 AM

Christ -

I see with my jaded corporate eye projects that fail. Money is flushed and heads are chopped off. Someone else comes along, picks at the carcass, and makes a product that is a success. From a budget POV, the "successful" product does not have to count the cost of the failed product.

As a friend and colleague has told me, "It is the life".

CarloSW2

Christ 08-19-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 122170)
Christ -

I see with my jaded corporate eye projects that fail. Money is flushed and heads are chopped off. Someone else comes along, picks at the carcass, and makes a product that is a success. From a budget POV, the "successful" product does not have to count the cost of the failed product.

As a friend and colleague has told me, "It is the life".

CarloSW2

Did your friend actually say "It's the life", or "C'est la Vie"?

MetroMPG 08-19-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 122118)

Doesn't the Camry hybrid already qualify on that front?

Interestingly, Canadians Prius sales have never even come close (on a per capita basis) to the US - for some reason, we buy far more Camry hybrids. I've yet to see a Canadian-plated 3rd gen Prius on the road. But Camry hybrids are a fairly regular sight (if you remember to look for the little badge).

Christ 08-19-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 122209)
Doesn't the Camry hybrid already qualify on that front?

Interestingly, Canadians Prius sales have never even come close (on a per capita basis) to the US - for some reason, we buy far more Camry hybrids. I've yet to see a Canadian-plated 3rd gen Prius on the road. But Camry hybrids are a fairly regular sight (if you remember to look for the little badge).

I guess it would, wouldn't it? Although, the Camry doesn't cover the "subsidy" end of the spectrum, even though the Prius (Pious, haha) wasn't really ever prohibitively expensive either.

I think at this point, the Prius carries a stigma of stupid drivers who know nothing about how cars work, or fuel efficient driving, and they're staring at that stupid screen, causing accidents and such. That's got to be affecting the sales of the Prius... not that it SHOULD, but it will, and you know it. Especially given the attitude of Americans - It's not our fault, blame the car's safety rating!

cfg83 08-19-2009 12:37 PM

Christ -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 122204)
Did your friend actually say "It's the life", or "C'est la Vie"?

Yeah, that's what he is saying, but English isn't his first language.

CarloSW2

Christ 08-19-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 122237)
Christ -

Yeah, that's what he is saying, but English isn't his first language.

CarloSW2

Just wondered, because C'est la Vie sounds cooler than "This is the life."

cfg83 08-19-2009 12:51 PM

Christ -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 122240)
Just wondered, because C'est la Vie sounds cooler than "This is the life."

Come to think of it, he also says it "That is the life", followed by a helpless shrug and an all-too-knowing half-smile.

CarloSW2

Christ 08-19-2009 01:16 PM

According to my old French teacher, that phrase has come to mean so much more than what it actually says... ranging from things like:

"That's how the cookie crumbles" to:
"Wouldn't you know it?"

Of course, those aren't literal meanings, but implied understandings for the above phrase.

alohaspirit 08-19-2009 01:38 PM

im not a huge fan of the new fit
+ the new yaris looks like a camry

mostly because it seems like everything is following the trend of bigger is better
(thus hurting fuel efficiency to add things like rain sensors and bluetooth)