EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Yo yo yoz ecomodders! I am joining the flock. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/yo-yo-yoz-ecomodders-i-am-joining-flock-31040.html)

Jooseppi Luna 01-24-2015 07:09 PM

Yo yo yoz ecomodders! I am joining the flock.

Hello everyone! My name is Jooseppi, and I am a budding ecomodder and a freshman Mechanical Engineering student at UMass Lowell.

I enjoyed getting 38-39 MPG out of the Corolla this summer without doing anything special (~60% highway at 65-80 MPH, ~25% back roads at 40-45 MPH, and ~15% city), and I've decided to try for more. I've been doing 70/30 city/hwy driving while commuting to school, getting about 33 in the winter, which is pretty miserable. I radically changed my driving habits and simultaneously installed an UG, and after about 150 miles, it claims that I am getting 40.7 MPG (it hasn't been calibrated, so who knows what it really is). I’m hoping that the 40 is closer to the truth than not. This is the car that I will be ecomodding the most.

The Buick is a 51,000 mie almost-total-creampuff that has the dreaded LIM gasket failure and at least one pitted cylinder head for it. I’m working on getting another cylinder head for it, but I am afraid that this car will stay 100% stock.

The Mercedes is a project car that I got with a bad tranny. I installed another tranny in it, but it’s still having issues and so it sits… this summer, I am hoping to carry out a manual swap and other drivetrain mods to improve the economy AND power, but those are a long story.

Once I’ve upped my post count to 5 ;), I’ll post pictures of the cars.

dirtydave 01-24-2015 09:21 PM

yo welcome! you will like it here!

MetroMPG 01-28-2015 01:17 PM

Belated welcome!

What are your plans for the daily driver?

EDIT: never mind, saw your vehicle details:

Quote:

Rear wheel skirts, disc hubcaps, engine on/off switch, fastback, block heater, front grille block and airdam, P/S pump clutch or P/S delete, switch to trip AC compressor on whenever DFCO is occuring, DRL delete, etc...
Good list. Looking forward to the build.

Nice to see it's a manual. So many more options for better MPG.

digital rules 01-28-2015 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jooseppi Luna (Post 465278)
. . . . simultaneously installed an UG, and after about 150 miles, it claims that I am getting 40.7 MPG (it hasn't been calibrated, so who knows what it really is).

Out of the box both the Ultragauge & Scangauge are about 21-22% optimistic on my '05 manual Corolla. The actual calibration number I use on the Ultraguage is 2.186. Usually within +/- 1 MPG.

Averaged mid to high 30's during the winter the first 8 years on this car. Thanks to this forum & the gauges I haven't had a tank below 40 MPG since February 2014. I don't pulse & glide much & never EOC, so could do better, but am a very happy camper none the less.