EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Are you interested in a Th!nk City? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/you-interested-th-nk-city-11796.html)

NeilBlanchard 01-09-2010 05:17 PM

Are you interested in a Th!nk City?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...THNKcity_1.jpg

If you are interested in the Th!nk City, then you can sign up on a interest list here:

Get Me A Th!nk - Electric A!D

They are saying the European version has 110 mile range with an uphill speed of 63mph, and that the USA version is expected to have higher specs. Here's a fun video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMF2z...layer_embedded

cfg83 01-09-2010 06:30 PM

NeilBlanchard -

I was going to say no, but 110 mile range does make me stop and ... Th!nk.

CarloSW2

Rokeby 01-09-2010 06:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Have you seen any projected cost figures on the City?

Cool little car... if it can survive the Nissan Leaf introduction.

Wish that Think was doing the Ox concept first:

Attachment 5323
Attachment 5322

Lazarus 01-09-2010 06:38 PM

Does it have a crash rating? It's a heck of a lot safer then my bike but am curious?

cfg83 01-09-2010 07:06 PM

Rokeby -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokeby (Post 153267)
Have you seen and projected cost figures on the City?

Cool little car... if it can survive the Nissan Leaf introduction.

Wish that Think was doing the Ox concept first:

I agree. Reminds me of a Smart-for-4.

CarloSW2

Christ 01-09-2010 08:35 PM

I like it, but for the price, I'm not even going to include my vote/opinion on this one.

I'm gonna try not to add input about new cars that I have no intention of buying, because I don't feel like I should have an opinion about something I'll never buy. Just me, I guess.

Purely off the record, though, Sure, I'd take one.

mcrews 01-09-2010 08:47 PM

Very good marketing video.....

mchlbk 01-10-2010 03:10 PM

Copenhagen recently bought a number of these for the COP15 summit. They were built to run on hydrogen and cost almost 1 million DKK each. That's about 200.000 USD.

No, I'm not kidding.

NeilBlanchard 01-10-2010 11:44 PM

Okay, the Honda FXC Clarity costs ~$500,000 -- and the BEV version of the City will not be anywhere near this range. I have heard only hints and rumors on the costs.

It will be built in Elkhart, Indiana starting next year. Some units imported from Finland will reportedly be for sale Q4 2010. Hopefully, they make the change to the EnerDel lithium batteries (currently they use a Zebra battery), for these.

Oval_Overload 01-11-2010 02:38 AM

I hope the Zebra option is retained. People do live in this frozen plain called The Northland, after all.

NeilBlanchard 03-11-2010 10:36 AM

Th!nk holds track record for Europe homologated EVs at Spa Francorchamps

Th!nk holds track record for Europe homologated EVs at Spa Francorchamps - Electric A!D

Direct link to Dutch video: Record time for electric cars on Spa-Francorchamps circuit on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Christopher Jordan 03-12-2010 12:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 153474)
It will be built in Elkhart, Indiana starting next year. Some units imported from Finland will reportedly be for sale Q4 2010. Hopefully, they make the change to the EnerDel lithium batteries (currently they use a Zebra battery), for these.

I have been keeping an eye on these about a year kind of "at the source"; Electric-aid. It looks like we may have the same source!

This is one of the California Edition Th!nks.

Vekke 03-16-2010 04:02 PM

We manufacture those Thinks At my work at Valmet Automotive, but I still havent had any chance to test drive one :).

NeilBlanchard 03-16-2010 07:20 PM

You work at the factory where the Th!nk City is made? Cool! The only people who get to drive 'em are at the very end of the production line, I would suspect.

RobertSmalls 03-16-2010 07:52 PM

I'm worried about the depreciation on these first-gen BEV's.

We know the battery is only going to last 5-10 years, and it's the most expensive part of the car. That will be a large, but predictable, part of the depreciation.

Unlike cars of the past 50 years, electric cars risk growing obsolete. In ten years, you will be able to buy a BEV that is much more capable (and, incidentally, cheaper) than ones you can buy today. What's the fair market value of a Th!nk City going to be when the 2021 Focus has twice the range, cargo space, and refinement, and half the charging time? Dunno, but it might be within the budget of Christ.

But am I interested in one? Well, if the Th!nk actually comes out, and if the Th!nk + Briggs and Stratton is much cheaper than a Prius + DIY PHEV conversion, then yes, the Th~nk will have my attention.

Christopher Jordan 03-17-2010 12:35 AM

I must have ESP- my old City-EL went a few miles and the drive belt broke. Sold it just in time; so a newer Th!nk would be a great replacement.

Vekke 03-17-2010 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 166387)
You work at the factory where the Th!nk City is made? Cool! The only people who get to drive 'em are at the very end of the production line, I would suspect.

yep. I am at the R&D department so it is my job to test and develop products we manufacture... I have just been so busy working with other EV golf car Garia that I havent had any time to do a quick test drive.

You are right on that car which go to customers arent test drived. Test drive cars are our own...

NeilBlanchard 04-07-2010 12:07 AM

http://photos.autoexpress.co.uk/imag...o_210779_7.jpg
If you are interested in the Th!nk City, then you might want to take this survey:

Survey | Qualtrics Survey Software

They reveal their thinking in terms of the price of the City here in the USA: $25,000-30,000 net. I read this as after the $7,500 federal tax credit -- but then that assumes that they are selling the battery pack as part of the car, and are not leasing it.

They also ask for suggested features, and whether you would be interested in smaller or larger battery packs, and at what price difference. The "base" version has a 110-120 mile range.

Oval_Overload 04-07-2010 02:33 PM

I'd be willing to buy a smaller battery pack if it cost less. 14-18 KwH is more than enough to get me anywhere in the Twin Cities.

~Jimbo

NeilBlanchard 11-26-2010 02:13 PM

Here's great news -- they plan on producing 300 Th!nk City cars in Elkhart this year!

EVWORLD.COM : Think Begins Electric Car Production in North America

Elkhart goes to work building the world's best-selling electric car (video)

Many more to come early in 2011, too!

Oval_Overload 11-28-2010 10:03 PM

I almost cried when I watched the video on the Elkhart Truth website. For twenty years we've waited for this car and now its finally here, hand built in America by salt-of-the-earth, hardworking Midwesterners. Surly, the good people at TH!NK will create a company and a car far greater than Ford Motors ever thought it could be when they dumped the company in Switzerland.

~Jim

cfg83 11-28-2010 11:07 PM

Neil -

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 206315)
Here's great news -- they plan on producing 300 Th!nk City cars in Elkhart this year!

EVWORLD.COM : Think Begins Electric Car Production in North America

Elkhart goes to work building the world's best-selling electric car (video)

Many more to come early in 2011, too!

I noticed this from the second article :

Quote:

The Elkhart crew begins its work by inserting the lithium-ion battery, made by EnerDel in Indianapolis, Turner said. Next they put in the motor and gearbox, followed by the seats, headlights and other components.
This is the same company that is making a battery pack for an experimental Volvo C30 BEV (see here).

CarloSW2

Christopher Jordan 11-28-2010 11:22 PM

That video is very similar to one I saw right before Zenn arrived. I do not think that will help much. I am thrilled Th!nk is starting up, but I remember seeing rows of shiny brand new Zenns; then about 5 sold here. With only 1 being driven daily that I see, and 1 demonstrator that never sold since 2007 the future is questionable.. These are scary times!

I think every Zap failed (no mechanics or parts) and most of those aluminum frames under GEMs cracked. All I can do is cross my fingers EVs will make history selling by the thousands!

NeilBlanchard 11-28-2010 11:31 PM

Yes, EnerDel makes the packs for the US spec Th!nk City's, and they might well sell it in the warmer climes elsewhere, too. The Finnish built models use a Zebra hot sodium battery.

rmay635703 04-24-2012 08:31 PM

Well now that think has unwound I am thinking of buying one but I need manuals and specs, the ones on the website aren't there anymore :(

I am curious what the charger spec was, how I got 220v, the battery capacity and voltage, etc etc.

Christopher Jordan 04-24-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 302892)
Well now that think has unwound...

Unwound? As in Th!nk *vanished*; or did I miss something? 2 years ago I was getting info from Norway about the Th!nk, but I thought builders of it threw in the towel last year.

euromodder 04-25-2012 05:43 AM

Th!nk was bought by Electric Mobility Solutions AS - production is scheduled to restart in 2012 with a refined City model

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/07/25...ity-solutions/

Rokeby 04-25-2012 06:24 AM

See new thread:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post302973

The price is before federal and state tax credits.

In Maryland a new EV is exempt from the $0.06 sales tax = $1350 saved.

Christopher Jordan 04-25-2012 10:45 AM

I did miss something! Another bankruptcy extension I bet. I wish them the best - but after Zap Alius Zebra & PU, Aptera, Triac, and Zenn problems and extra "out the window: costs, this seems like an uphill battle in California.

Triac borrowed $100,000. from the people of Salinas, CA., to build EVs then left. I do not think that Th!nk would be welcomed too warmly in these parts. Sad- 1 step forward, then 2 steps back.