EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   You know you're an ecomodder if/when... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/you-know-youre-ecomodder-if-when-3188.html)

Tango Charlie 06-19-2008 01:12 PM

You know you're an ecomodder if/when...

I was at the gas station, filling up last night. As I watched the gallons tick away, I got more and more giddy, 'cause I was thinking how far I could stretch each one. Then I had to chuckle at myself. Since when have I EVER enjoyed filling up? (I almost forgot how, last time was nearly two weeks ago)
That made me start thinking...

You Know You're an Ecomodder If;

You get a stupid smile on your face when you fill up at the gas station.
You know what DWL, P and G, and EOC stand for.
You say the name 'Basjoos' with respect and awe.
You either own a Scangauge or have a serious case of SG-envy.
you look at election signs in people's yards and think, "front air dam".

C'mon, help me out here. Add some of your own.:)

MetroMPG 06-19-2008 01:21 PM

You know you're an ecomodder if:

... The sight of empty roof racks on other vehicles makes you cringe.

... Your neighbour drives past your house in her manual shift car each day and you find yourself telepathically urging her: "up shift! Up shift!" :)

metroschultz 06-19-2008 01:27 PM

The neighbors walk by and say "Do you have enough cardboard yet?

You Listen to other engines running at a stoplight thinking {.49 gph x 2 min here x 10 more lights to work = cr@p wheres my calculator}

I'm sure there are many more of you, C'mon speak up.
S.

NoCO2 06-19-2008 01:29 PM

Haha, I definitely have been guilty of all of those in the past, most recently the "Gas pump giggle".

You might be an ecomodder if:
  • you think of gravity as a means of motor assist
  • you take your shoes off whenever you drive your car
  • you have ever slapped your passenger's hand away from the A/C button
  • your mechanic has ever asked you how you stop your car when he checks your brake pads
  • your monthly gas budget is less then your monthy phone/internet bill

MetroMPG 06-19-2008 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metroschultz (Post 36381)
The neighbors walk by and say "Do you have enough cardboard yet?

... or when the neigbours have stopped coming over to ask about the latest cardboard + duct tape "prototype"

metroschultz 06-19-2008 01:38 PM

Man how many years does that take?
Mine still marvel at the tape all over the front on my bumper.
BTW black duct tape bleaches in the sun to a darkish grey.
S.

echomodder 06-19-2008 01:43 PM

You find yourself cursing when someone is behind you. Saying "SOB now I can't roll up to this stop sign going 10mph!"

TheDon 06-19-2008 01:50 PM

... your wheel covers consist of modified pizza pans

... the case of spray foam in your room

... the weird faces you see when you drive your car while gauge airflow over the body ( tuft testing??)

i_am_socket 06-19-2008 02:04 PM

... every election sign you see just says "FREE COROPLAST!"

... your neighbors wonder why your not-that-old car seems to be held together with packing tape.

elhigh 06-19-2008 03:02 PM

- Your trunk and the rest of your car is actually empty of unnecessary junk
- You wish you weren't the passenger in a non-hypermiler's car

MetroMPG 06-19-2008 03:06 PM

... "Sure, I can drive you. Just give me a few minutes to re-install the seat."

MetroMPG 06-19-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDon (Post 36398)
... the case of spray foam in your room

Too funny! Not a case, but a can that I still haven't used yet. :)

MetroMPG 06-19-2008 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metroschultz (Post 36390)
Man how many years does that take?

Approximately two. :)

Tango Charlie 06-19-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echomodder (Post 36391)
You find yourself cursing when someone is behind you. Saying "SOB now I can't roll up to this stop sign going 10mph!"

HAHAHA! I've done that!:D

You know you're an ecomodder if...
...you smile and wave at bicycle and scooter riders.
...you know how to convert a Geo Metro into an EV by transplanting forklift components...just from reading an online thread.

ebacherville 06-19-2008 03:34 PM

You go the the gas station more often for snacks, soda and other needs more often than fuel..

I stopped the other night to pick up some milk on the way home, they always always ask if you have fuel.. I said nope, I should be able to get another 300 miles out of my 6 gallons thats left in the tank :)

The cashier didn't even think and just rang up my milk.. hopefully after i left it registers that 6 gallons at 300 miles is 50mpg..

ebacherville 06-19-2008 03:40 PM

when your favorite fish in the world is a boxfish..

when you cant believe crysler/Dodge (the 80's econobox kings) best EPA rated car is only 32mpg..

when you look out at the cars in parking lots looking for that car that really looks like a great project car for areomods.

88CRX 06-19-2008 04:17 PM

I'm not an ecomodder, I don't know what DWL is.

I can tell you guys are because of the "Hypermiler" in your sig.

btw - what is "DWL"?

MetroMPG 06-19-2008 04:19 PM

88CRX, see: Glossary

88CRX 06-19-2008 04:35 PM

Thanks, i didn't even know about that.

Cd 06-20-2008 12:22 AM

You cringe and shake your head when a commercial touts 32 MPG as being 'class leading "

You are more concerned with the underside of the car than the cars 0-60 time.

superchow 06-20-2008 01:33 AM

... when you speed up on the freeway to catch the semi truck for a draft.
... when you look at the wheel wells of trucks and picture them skirted.
... when you sneak over to the gas pump of a Prius driver to see how many gallons he.she filled up after they left the gas station. (If only I knew the miles they put on that tank!)
... when you reconsider answering "No it's not a hybrid, just gas." when in reality you know it's a gas/gravity hybrid.
... when you estimate how many mpgs less a vehicle is getting when you pass them on the freeway. (With a big grin on your face!)
... when you peruse the interwebs desperately searching for your car's exact frontal area and your tires' rolling resistance.
... when you can't wait to post a question/idea/result thread to EM because no one in your physical vicinity would be interested in such information. :thumbup:

cfg83 06-20-2008 04:31 AM

... When you want to test an existing mod, but you cringe at doing the baseline part because you *know* it will hurt your current tank.

CarloSW2

groar 06-20-2008 06:36 AM

. You are sick to be over 2000rpm
. You are dying when you ear someone over 3000rpm
. Your car is 6 feet longer than when you saw it the first time
. You scientifically verified your "max torque's rpm"
and you forgot the meaning of "max hp"
. You smile when you are using engine-brake
and you cry when you have to touch the accelerator
. Engine-brake is a synonym of "moving for free"

Denis.

PS superchow : I love the "gas/gravity hybrid" concept :-)

tasdrouille 06-20-2008 07:46 AM

You know you are an ecomodder when you are eager to go fill her up just to see how good you did. The problem being that the better you are, the less often you go...

You know you are an ecomodder when you use basjoos as an adjective meaning extreme. (.Cd search aerocivic...and bass juice...lmao...that made my day, thanks)

You know you are an ecomodder when your better half makes you realize you just screwed an airdam to your brand new car...

You know you are an ecomodder when you check wind speed and direction before going on a road trip.

You know you are an ecomodder when the gas station air compressor doesn't go as high as the pressure in your tires.

You know you are an ecomodder when you are actually happy someone hit your side mirror and broke it off.

All of this reminds me of redneck jokes, so I'll quote one of my fav. You might be a redneck if you mow your lawn without a shirt on, and so does your husband...

Bigs 06-20-2008 08:06 AM

You know you're an Ecomodder when...

You get past agressively by a moron and then you are still beside him at the next red light. This goes on for many red lights. You laugh at him!

When Hypermiling is an obsession.

When that obsession is starting to rub off on other people around you! (Especially the Wife!)

When you get out of your down-sloped laneway without starting the car!

Tango Charlie 06-20-2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Cd (Post 36596)
And ..off topic here ... just what is a bassjoos ?

Bass juice ??

Basjoos is a who, not a what. He's the gentleman with the aeromodded civic. see if this works;
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...4-0-a-290.html

Tango Charlie 06-20-2008 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebacherville (Post 36445)
when your favorite fish in the world is a boxfish..

Okay, my turn to be confused. Please explain?:confused:

wagonman76 06-20-2008 01:06 PM

When you find yourself looking at your gas gauge every half mile hoping it didnt move, and drive so you can hopefully keep it that way. And constantly figure the mpg in your head.

BTW, is the MPGuino a functional piece of equipment that I can buy? I find myself lost in the thread. OBD1 here.

And every time you hear the commercial for "the new 35 mpg Ford Focus" and think "what a friggin joke".

And when one part of you wants to top off the tank because the price will probably go up soon, but the other part wants to run it down so you get a more accurate mpg calculation.

i_am_socket 06-20-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tango Charlie (Post 36637)

The boxfish was determined to have the lowest Cd in the animal kingdom (or some such) and was the basis of the design of a really low Cd car by Mercedes.

LINK!

RE: guino - it's a do-it-yourself project. You can't buy one pre-made (yet :p )

Blue07CivicEX 06-20-2008 04:43 PM

LOL on the comments for the Boxfish page some guy with an escalade was complaining about $2.30/gallon gas in NYC (circa 2005) he must be in a coma now with prices for premium creeping on $5/gallon down in the city. BWUAHAHAH A people like that make me laugh.

Mr. Cheap 06-21-2008 04:12 PM

You know you're a hypermiler when you calmly roll up to a red light and chuckle because you shut your engine off a minute ago.

You know you're a hypermiler when you don't want anyone else to drive your car because they will ruin your mileage.

ebacherville 06-23-2008 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tango Charlie (Post 36637)

The box fish has a very non areo looking shape, boxy like a car yes yields a .6 areo..

http://www.divegallery.com/boxfish_.jpg

they designed a prototype after the box fish , but sadly it never made production..

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...imler_car2.jpg

ebacherville 06-23-2008 11:28 AM

you know your'e a hypermiler when you:

feel guilty when you roll up to a stop light and your still doing 15 mph and if you would have coasted longer you could have rolled to a stop.

When the only reason you have a pen in the car is to write down your mileage on your gas receipt when you fill up.

When you dread "running errands" as it's more city driving than you'd like on this tank.

When you, off the top of your head, no matter the situation, can tell someone how much gas you have left in your car and how many miles you have on that used gas.

NeilBlanchard 06-23-2008 12:27 PM

You know you're an ecomodder -- if you LUST after this car!

Hello,

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebacherville (Post 37478)
The box fish has a very non areo looking shape, boxy like a car yes yields a .6 areo..

You may have made a typo? Here's the number I found:
"wind drag coefficient of just 0.06"

[Edit: that 0.06 was for a clay model -- the car is actually 0.19 Cd; still excellent!]

And there are some other cool images:
http://img.worldcarfans.com/US/2005/...02/1005big.jpg
http://img.worldcarfans.com/US/2005/...004.Mini2L.jpg
http://img.worldcarfans.com/US/2005/...004.Mini6L.jpg
http://img.worldcarfans.com/US/2005/...02/1026big.jpg

I think that all the car manufacturers should take a long look at this car! Please, Mercedes -- build this car as a serial plugin hybrid!

ebacherville 06-23-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 37497)
Hello,
You may have made a typo? Here's the number I found:
"wind drag coefficient of just 0.06"

Yep my bad.. typoed that one .. .06 is correct for the fish and model , the car was higher..

Id so buy one of those in a heart beat.. and if the pluss sized it it could make a decent hauler like the sprinter vans.. dodge just seems to be the race looser in MPG and don't want to actually try to win.. or compete.. I don't get it..

Tango Charlie 06-23-2008 04:27 PM

You know you're an ecomodder when you're willing to drive a less-than-attractive car because it has a really low cd. :D

trikkonceptz 06-23-2008 05:11 PM

You know you're an Ecomodder when ...

-Your neighbor comes over to borrow some tape and all you have is blue painters tape

-You can literally fix everything now with Blue tape and Coroplast

NeilBlanchard 06-23-2008 07:50 PM

Hey, did you see that when you touch the door handle, an electric motor sticks them out so you can open the door?

I'll bet this car has a full belly pan! And it has side view camera(s?), too:
http://img.worldcarfans.com/US/2005/...04.Mini13L.jpg

I'll bet this is the 0.06 Cd model:
http://img.worldcarfans.com/US/2005/...04.Mini20L.jpg

Shawn D. 06-24-2008 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 36377)
You know you're an ecomodder if:

... The sight of empty roof racks on other vehicles makes you cringe.

I'd have removed the rack from my Mercedes 300td if it didn't involve removing the front roof console, headliner, and sunroof assembly to get at the middle bolts. :mad:

echomodder 06-24-2008 09:18 AM

When your better half:rolleyes: is going on a short trip and your torn. You know it will save the household money, but you also know the 10mi she will go is going to kill the mpg in the current tank!