EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Saving@Home (https://ecomodder.com/forum/saving-home.html)
-   -   You may not be able to afford to buy all of your electricity (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/you-may-not-able-afford-buy-all-your-37121.html)

oil pan 4 12-22-2018 12:36 AM

You may not be able to afford to buy all of your electricity

Looks like my paranoid day dreams have become really.
December, 2018 excel energy has pledged to go to 100% renewable energy by 2050, that's not really that scary. No they want to be 80% carbon free by 2030, in 11 years.
Last time I checked excel was maybe 20% carbon free, most of that being wind.
Another problem, excel covers ND, SD, WI, MI, MN, not exactly what I would call awesome solar locals.
You look at Excels solar map and it's a joke. It would take about 1/4 of their solar capacity to power where I work.
I'm sure I will be able to afford it, but it is really going to cut into my hooker, booze and cocane related hobbies.
That pretty much guarantees a 100% increase in 11 years, you know like exactly what happened everywhere else they tried it?
This also means their generation rate could double, if it goes to 6 cents then I may be able to profitably produce solar power, as long as inflation doesn't devalue the dollar too much.
The main thing that I have been wating for before installing my solar panels has arrived, winter solstice. I am in the process of taking measurements and marking where the shadows are throughout the day that way solar panels can capture the maximum amount of sun and occupy the given space with as much panel as possible.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envir...an-carbon-free

redpoint5 12-22-2018 03:05 PM

Shouldn't affect you too much since you're going solar.

Inflation is a tax on savings, and negatively impacts little else.

redneck 12-23-2018 06:33 AM

Problem solved.

Just enact a “Sun Tax”...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-24272061

For what it’s worth, Spain Abolished it’s 'Tax on the Sun' earlier this year.

Surely it will be back in the future, one way or another...

The grid will not go away without kicking and screaming.

And it can’t.

:turtle:

>

RedDevil 12-23-2018 06:56 AM

It may return in the future if home solar ever gets to the point that it produces more than the local network. One of the problems is that the grid tie converters monitor the power wave on the network to determine how to feed in the power.. Too many grid tie converters may cause instability.

But by that time the grid tie converters may well be orchestrated by the power company. They could be used to improve the shape, compensating for the cutoff effects caused by modern electronics.
They would not only provide power, but also improve its quality.

Stubby79 12-23-2018 08:19 AM

Thankfully my province is in the process of getting a new Hydro dam put in. Doubt it's power will get to many of you, though. Anyway, if they want us to drive EVs, they need to be able to supply us with enough clean electricity...not much point if we end up running them on "unclean" electricity; might as well leave them running on gasoline.

Of course, weeing as they spending billions building this dam, we might well get a hike on our electricity rates to pay for it. We'll be in the same boat as ya'll if we're not careful.

oil pan 4 12-23-2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneck (Post 586871)

Problem solved.

Just enact a “Sun Tax”...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-24272061

For what it’s worth, Spain Abolished it’s 'Tax on the Sun' earlier this year.

Surely it will be back in the future, one way or another...

The grid will not go away without kicking and screaming.

And it can’t.

:turtle:

>

That's kind of what they are doing.
I already know excel energy is anti customer roof top solar.
They are thinking "how dare the customer generate their own power, we will fix that".... "there, now they can't afford their own solar panels".

oil pan 4 12-23-2018 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stubby79 (Post 586875)
Thankfully my province is in the process of getting a new Hydro dam put in. Doubt it's power will get to many of you, though. Anyway, if they want us to drive EVs, they need to be able to supply us with enough clean electricity...not much point if we end up running them on "unclean" electricity; might as well leave them running on gasoline.

Of course, weeing as they spending billions building this dam, we might well get a hike on our electricity rates to pay for it. We'll be in the same boat as ya'll if we're not careful.

Yeah and I am working on blocking the high voltage transmission line that will go through Maine to Massachusetts.

oil pan 4 12-23-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 586872)
It may return in the future if home solar ever gets to the point that it produces more than the local network. One of the problems is that the grid tie converters monitor the power wave on the network to determine how to feed in the power.. Too many grid tie converters may cause instability.

But by that time the grid tie converters may well be orchestrated by the power company. They could be used to improve the shape, compensating for the cutoff effects caused by modern electronics.
They would not only provide power, but also improve its quality.

Not here. All of the solar power that goes on to excels grid has to go through an over the air controlled co-gen meter.
If the utility needs to they can remotely disconnect power from the solar panels in the event of an over voltage event. Which is unlikely.

RedDevil 12-23-2018 10:19 AM

No such thing here. We have an old-fashioned electromechanical meter and we keep it, as it prevents the power company from splitting supply and demand other than the yearly net total. Even though my power company is actively promoting solar initiatives and promotes netting, the government wants to put an end to it and may win out.

My son has added needs and we're looking for a way to get him through high school education. That may require us to move or pay for private schools... if not our roof would already bear a PV installation. Just now we can't take the risk.
But in a year or two all must be settled. Biding my time on solar, therefore.

oil pan 4 12-23-2018 06:04 PM

Most utilities in the US will not allow an electromechanical meter on a solar install.