EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Yugo getting some love (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/yugo-getting-some-love-11928.html)

Lazarus 01-19-2010 04:20 PM

Yugo getting some love

Any Yugo drivers here?

Was the Yugo really the worst car ever? - By Tom Vanderbilt - Slate Magazine

Quote:

But was it the worst car in history? No; Vuic's subtitle is a teaser. First, simply by dint of being approved for sale in America, the Yugo was far from the world's worst. "Any ranking is relative," observes Vuic, "but as a rule if an automobile passes U.S. safety and emissions tests it is a relatively decent car." However bad the Yugo may have been, it was worse in Yugoslavia. And even in NHTSA's grueling safety tests, Yugo wasn't the worst performer; that honor fell to Isuzu. Yugo didn't even have the worst death rate per 10,000 vehicles. A trio of Chevy cars (the Corvette and the Sprint two-door and four-door) held the gold, silver, and bronze in that unwelcome category

gone-ot 01-19-2010 04:32 PM

Q: How do you "...double the value..." of a Yugo?

A: Fill the gas tank.

Laurentiu 01-19-2010 05:08 PM

you can probably get some good mileage out of that thing...if youcan find one that's not completely rusted...

luvit 01-19-2010 05:11 PM

you dog, laurentiu. you edited your post. :p

Lazarus 01-19-2010 05:51 PM

Fire for affect :turtle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS770...eature=related

Johnny Mullet 01-19-2010 09:41 PM

They were very unreliable and a lot of interior pieces broke off easily. There was one running around town here with a "US Marines" sticker on the back window.

Haven't seen it in a few year so it must have kicked the bucket.

bgd73 01-20-2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 155293)
Q: How do you "...double the value..." of a Yugo?

A: Fill the gas tank.

In highschool, in the 80s, a classmate got one brand new. Extremely contrasted to a dual range brat with a thumpy ea81 he owned...A rich kid, he beat the crap out of both, back then, they were nearly brand new. odoms much below 50k, let alone 100. Needless to say, he got attention from his car driving antics. The only thing in common between the similar sized engines was the brat could 4x4 over a pile and the yugo stayed on top or else...near death experience imminent. :rolleyes:
Every motorhead after cheap mileage learned a lesson from that guy...it still stands today, in gigantic scale...rather bizarre, and prophetic..

look around.

jamesqf 01-20-2010 01:59 AM

Part of the problem is how they try to define "worst", factoring in US safety records. I dare say there are some pretty good cars - Ferrari, Porsche, etc - that have worse than average safety statistics, simply because of the way people tend to drive them. And on the other side, if your Yugo won't run, it's pretty safe, but not much good as a car :-)

wagonman76 01-20-2010 12:47 PM

I remember back in 89 when the Yugo got blown over the railing of the Mackinac Bridge, about an hour north of me. Since then they put up wind monitoring equipment and all.

I saw one a couple months ago running around here. I wonder what it's like trying to find parts for it. I don't even see any in the junkyard and they've got all old stuff there.

rmay635703 10-25-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 155283)

Never noticed this thread, I finally read the book, our Yugo never had any issues with interior pieces, the LH front brake seized up and with it sitting in the garage so many years now needs hoses all around.

I always liked the sputtery little thing, just had to change the timing belt every 25k and it was fine, our had a little rust but not too bad, not any worse than the Chevy trucks and suburbans from those same years.

Cheers
Ryan