View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 08:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Dave View Post
My Mustang has a switch to enable/disable the A/C compressor. I use it to "P&G" my A/C.
In my VX the AC compressor can be engaged or disengaged regardless of the other control positions.

Always use Max and or Recirculate (but always recirculate). This is more efficient because you do not have to remove the humidity continuously in recirculate.

Always cycle the compressor on when you have to engage DFCO, since you are bleeding energy anyway you might as well get "free" AC.

Low fan speeds and compressor manual cycling will keep you fairly cool while minimising compressor actuation.

As Mustang Dave stated, P&G the compressor, on recirculate, with the lowest tolerable fan speed, and you can stay cool with minimum loss of mileage.

I avoid AC use under all but the most extreme circumstances. Actually I try to avoid any accessory loads completely, because they all use fuel to a certain degree.

Some systems cycle the compressor to maintain temp and will cycle less at low fan speeds. Most climate control systems run the compressor constantly and mix hot and cold air to maintain temp. The second type is most wasteful.

regards
Mech