View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 01:29 AM   #28 (permalink)
jedi_sol
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchanello View Post
I realize the last post on this thread was like a year ago, but I was wondering if there was follow-up info on how the aluminum sheets held up covering the exhaust pipe. I'm considering doing a belly pan on my Del Slow using aluminum flashing. And I'm a bit concerned about covering over the pipes and how that might effect the car And pipes in the long run.
Was there an increase in internal heat? Did or would the heat of the pipes be conducted across all the metal keeping things cooler? Should space be left around the cat. converter? Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Punch
I'm actually only using one sheet of aluminum to cover that ONE section of exhaust piping to connect the front and rear section of corplast, and it is holding up very well in terms of heat. Otherwise, I have about 3-4 inches of clearance between the coroplast and exhaust pipes and have not had any issues of heat melting the corplast either.

Aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat, but one of the concerns people have with underbelly trays if you were to have an exhaust leak, there is no where for the exhaust fumes to go but into the passenger cabin area. I didn't want to take that risk, therefore I left the bulk of the exhaust pipes uncovered and only lined front, sides, and rear of under the car with coroplast.

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html
The Following User Says Thank You to jedi_sol For This Useful Post:
Punchanello (02-28-2011)