View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #1482 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Fairly recently, I threw another 5 batteries in the back of the car.

I more or less rebuilt the "bedframe" battery rack. With some other material this time though, as the actual bedframe became the rack for the LP generator.

I just around in my pile of battery cables and had just enough to connect all the batteries, although not all the cables are the same length. They are all matching 2/0 thickness.

I talked with Paul Holmes a while back, and he was working on a 1000 Amp version of the Open Revolt. He sent it to me, and I got it in the mail a few days ago. Today, I connected it up to the car. Physically, it's the same 8" width as the original 500 Amp controller, but it's a bit longer and heavier, which you might expect of something capable of double the power.

Speaking of power.....
I now have 11 x 12V batteries in the Metro. That's 132V nominal. (Take THAT Forkenswift! ) Now if I have the ability to take 1000 amps from that, that's 1000A x 132V = 132KW = about 177 Horsepower.
According to Wikipedia, the 3-cylinder Geo engine was 55HP/41KW
So, in theory, with the new controller and 11 batteries, I have a car with TRIPLE the power of a stock vehicle!

And no engine noise. So burning rubber instead of gasoline is quickly becoming, more of a reality, instead of just an expression!

So far, the new controller is just installed in sort of a test mode. I still need to finish the case, and build a real solid mount for it in the car. I also need to tweak the settings. As it is right now, barely touching the accelerator shoots the car down the road pretty quick.

"Hot-Rod mode" could be fun, but I don't think the motor mounts are going to like it. And it's not like I haven't gotten a speeding ticket in this car before..

Well, at least this time I could really earn it.

I had to dig around to find my old salvaged tablet PC running Windows XP and RTD Explorer. Once I found it, it connected up to the controller no problem. I had to remember how to do a couple of commands, but I was able to get the car and the computer to talk to each other. I even set battery amperage limiting to 300 amps. I only have a 300 amp fuse in the car right now, and don't want to get stuck on the side of the road just from pressing the accelerator too hard!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (01-08-2012)