View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I suppose that if when a person says "I question a....." they mean, "hey it's fine, but there are possibly even better ways to go, then I would agree. It just sounds like somehow the single-speed gear reduction doesn't work well at all, or might break any second. It works fine, is simple, and gives pretty good performance.

I'd love to see an electric cycle with a CVT in it.

I've seen single-gear, drive-shaft, original transmission, and jackshafted EV cycles, but haven't had a chance to check out one with a CVT. I'd love to see how well it works in real-world conditions.

Tesla abandoned the two-speed transmissions in the Roadster, because they kept breaking them. (I think it was partly due to such a powerful motor, and partly due to some design and quality issues.)

A two-speed on a cycle might be slick. Usually when people talk about transmissions in cycles, it's in reference to keeping the original tranny that went with the gas engine. The gearing is all wrong for an EV, and an electric motor doesn't need that many gears. If there was instead a simple/compact/custom/lightweight 2-speed in there, that might work well.

Some of the hot-rod electric racers use dual-motors and switch between serial and parallel connects, in effect creating a two-speed electric transmission.

It's funny, my electric Geo Metro has a transmission in it and everyone seems to think that I should take it out and somehow magically connect electric motors to all four wheels. My motorcycle does NOT have a transmission, and everyone seems to think that it will go much farther and faster with one! (And ignore that fact that all the batteries then wouldn't fit!)

PS: The Brammo Empulse will have a 6-speed in it. SPECS HERE

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 04-23-2012 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: empulse link