View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCNTN View Post
What's your basis for picking the 'stang? Hehe. Yeah, we figured 200 was going a little high for the average commuter, but it would be a much better product for those that want it. Fab costs for metal are unfortunately just going to push it up there.

Totally with you there. The list was based on those that we thought could really benefit from the kit, rather than those who might be interesting in slapping something trendy on their shiny new hybrid. Sorry if that sounds a little harsh... although at the same time, we joked about doing an infomercial and selling "the latest in fuel-saving technology" at 3am whilst making ridiculous claims of 30% better FE.
As an historian who sometimes has these eco-marketing conversations with students wide-eyed and interested in making change in practical ways, I'll say that I think there might be another way to conceive of effective marketing that avoids the exaggerated claims. Part of the Prius appeal is the cool factor of its technology; and that is a personal value to which you might be able to sell persuasively. "Wheel skirts" are a technology too, one developed in the history of cars as a way to reduce drag. So show people cool aero cars out of the past--production and/or experimental--and show them a stylish item with high production value, playing to the "I'm smart" sensibility with a short discussion of drag and a realistic claim for benefits. Some will buy... how many and whether its enough for a business is what market research would have to address. But my point is that the exaggerated claims are based in the I think false idea that the only thing that will sell is the cash savings, whereas if that were true people would not fall for all the gadgety upgrades they are offered all the time. Make it good looking (paint them all) and make it smart-cool and claim a realistic fuel savings. That might work too. And you wouldn't get sued when people discover they don't save 30% on fuel.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 01-12-2013 at 07:08 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
mcrews (01-16-2013)