View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #186 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSGC View Post
My transmission issue is not EV related, it's a problem with the Civic's the Input Shaft bearing has a life under 180,000. It was making noise before but I didn't think it would get much louder. My last drive just drove me nuts, I am going to start the transmission rebuild tomorrow and work on it this weekend. It's too cold to work outside so once I get me new motor everything is coming into the basement and will come out when it warms up a bit.
Under 180,000? Usually much, much less.

My '01 HX has a noisy input shaft bearing, and is dying a slow death. It started at about 145,000miles. I bought a used tranny from another HX with ~90k miles that also had a bad input shaft bearing. That one is rebuilt and ready to go in when my current tranny finally dies.

The problem seems to be related to the bearing cage that is made of plastic. It breaks and the bearings will still roll, both not neccessarily on the right path. When my tranny guy pulled it apart, the balls just fell out of the bearing and you could see where they were gouging one of the races to make the noise (outer race IIRC).

I don't know too much about EVs, but I'd guess you are making more torque than the original D17. If so, you may want to ditch that tranny and see if you can find one from an RSX. The chassis is essentially the same, and many components will swap from RSX to 7th gen Civic. Normally, you can't use the RSX tranny with a Civic because the it won't mount up to a D17 engine, but that shouldn't matter to you since you don't use the engine. I believe engine/tranny mounts, half-shafts, and shift cables all mount the same way, so it should be a very simple swap for a much more reliable tranny.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods