View Single Post
Old 10-29-2015, 04:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post
Thanks for the tips, jkv. I already have a helmet for racing but would need all the other gear for sure and since its been a long time since I've ridden I would definitely take a class before updating my license to include the bike. I really don't want to get a Ninja but if I find one cheap enough I may consider it more seriously. My friend had a Rebel for a long while and had a good experience with it but I'd like something with older looks (this is obviously the "I want it" side of the equation and not the "just want super MPG" side lol). I'm sorting through CL but there are just so many quads and dirt bikes lol.
With as short as your commute is, I think I'd focus more on comfort and features than outright economy. Many(most?) 600cc bikes should still be capable of 50+mpg when ridden economically.

I'm not sure what "older looks" means. Does this mean you want a cruiser (i.e. styled like a Harley)?

My recommendation would be to go to a motorcycle dealership that carries multiple brands. Look around at the various bikes and figure out which style you like best. Ask the salesman if you can sit on a few (be honest and let them know you don't plan to buy new) to get an idea of what you like best. Then go scope out CL to find that model of bike and maybe its competitors.

In the last ten years or so, bikes have finally started getting Fuel Injection. I never thought this was a big deal until I got my current bike, a Ninja 650R. The easy cold starts and elimination of carburetor icing has certainly been nice.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods