View Single Post
Old 06-20-2016, 10:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
funkhoss
EcoModding Lurker

The Little Car - '00 Chevrolet Metro
90 day: 91.08 mpg (US)

The Big Car - '94 Chevrolet Caprice Wagon
90 day: 44.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
This vehicle shows that to get the really big numbers you have to do both aero and mechanical mods.
Yes. Though that's dependent somewhat on the car in question. Our Metro, for example, has only had a final drive gearing swap and a camshaft swap. Everything else was aero (besides the kill switch). But the Metro was more efficient to begin with.

I think it's also important to note that, though we've done a lot to the wagon, nothing we have done is groundbreaking, or radical, or cutting edge. Every mod is pretty much a standard, accepted economy improver. No single one of these mods by itself will get you to 100% over EPA--but taken together, they do.

Quote:
How much trailer towing do you do? Most people do a lot less than they think. Changing axles is going to get to be a pain going forward. I'd just run in the lower gears when towing than to change axles.
I've thought about that. I think that I will plan in advance to do several projects involving the trailer at once--so that I can swap the towing axle in, leave it in for a week or two while I do a bunch of projects, and then swap it back out. That way I won't have to go back and forth as much.

I have two concerns with trying to tow with the 2.14's. First, I'm concerned that I won't have enough gear to get going in some situations (regardless of how much I slip/burn the clutch). We live in a part of Virginia where there are a lot of hills, and I really don't want to get stopped at a light on a hill somewhere and not be able to get going again. Second, I'm concerned about how much stress/wear the NV3500 will get if I try to tow any significant amount of weight with the 2.14's. It's already in a heavier vehicle, with a stronger engine than it had from the factory. I don't want to have to take it out again any time soon.

Quote:
Short of changing to a diesel engine (a 6.5 NA fits a B-Body) or converting the CNG and jacking up your compression sky-high, I really don't see much in the way of big improvements to MPG left.
I think you're right--the biggest thing from here on will be getting used to how the car works with the manual transmission and making improvements through technique. I'd like to get a tank over 50 at least once.

Last edited by funkhoss; 06-20-2016 at 11:06 PM..