View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #49 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Rice is bad for the environment!

I do not believe I mentioned the following. I told a professor that supposedly cows were responsible for more greenhouse gas effets than all cars, trucks, and buses in the world.

He replied "Cows aren't, but construction is," although I could not find any support for that, and he could not be more specific, just saying it was specifically methane, although I finally found something:

"The GHG [greenhouse gas] emission for cement production alone is about 92%." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4809014/

I did find endless articles claiming that the approximately million reservoirs held behind dams in the world release almost a "gigaton, or billion tons, of annual carbon dioxide equivalents. That would mean they contributed 1.3 percent of the global total." https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...enhouse-gases/

"[A]s nutrients like nitrogen and phosphorus flow into reservoirs from rivers — being poured in by human agriculture and waste streams — these can further drive algal growth in reservoirs, giving microorganisms even more material to break down. The study finds that for these reasons, reservoirs emit more methane than `natural lakes, ponds, rivers, or wetlands.;

No no no no no no no! "These reasons?!" Which reasons?! Humans pollute rivers, pollution flows into reservoirs, and bad things happen, but then it suddenly compares this to natural bodies of water.

Don't human-polluted rivers also flow into natural bodies of water? What are these "reasons" that reservoirs emit more methane than natural bodies of water?

“`If oxygen is around, then methane gets converted back to CO2,' said John Harrison, another of the study’s authors, and also a researcher at Washington State. `If oxygen isn’t present, it can get emitted back to the atmosphere as methane.' And flooded areas, he said, are more likely to be depleted of oxygen. A similar process occurs in rice paddies, which are also a major source of methane emissions."

Natural bodies of water have more oxygen than man-made ones? My only takeaway is that rice is bad and so is their condemnation of reservoirs.