View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 11:40 PM   #29 (permalink)
teoman
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sser2 View Post
An interesting suggestion. The ultimate implementation of it was experimental evaporative engine cooling in early versions of FW-190 fighter plane. Steam condensers were placed in the wings. But a bullet hole in a wing, and alles kaput, so air-cooled engine was used on production models. Since chances of getting a bullet hole in a Metro are not that high nowadays, evap cooling may be a viable approach.

I am afraid that opening a valve on pressurized cooling system with engine running will have quite drastic consequences, similar to what happens when radiator cap safety valve opens as a result of engine overheating.
Yes indeed, but the valve can be opened very briefly, or a nozzle of some type may be attached to release pressure slowly.

I wonder if the pump can be completely eliminated, or are the engines now designed in such a manner that they will develop steam pockets with no liquid contact and will locally overheat.

The size of the pump can be reduced quite a bit in my opinion/guesstimation assuming the engine is driven in econo-mode.

Another thing that came to my mind that i am kind of implementing is not using the radiator at all. Currently it is blocked by cardboard. And when the heat rises a bit, i turn on the blower fan and pump the excess heat in to the cabin.

I suppose the radiator fan signal could be rerouted to the blower fan, this is assuming the outside temps are cooler.