View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 02:13 PM   #424 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
09-12-2007, 07:49 Pm

Moved the controller to a more "professional" looking installation.

Before: since April it's been strapped onto the transaxle, sandwiched between a dirty rag and a hunk of styrofoam (great heat dissipating properties, eh?)

Scavenged this aluminum heat sink from a dead 12v cooler. This is one half of the Peltier unit. It's about 8 inches long.

The Cursit's new home, chosen because there's a bit of space around it to potentially accomodate controllers of different sizes, should we decide to upgrade to a juicier unit (Alltrax?), or try out the forklift's EV-1 unit.

Unfortunately, when reconnecting the wires from the pot box to the controller, I shorted one. (Getting to be a bad habit!) Zorched the potentiometer. Fortunately, a replacement is just a couple of bucks at Radio Shack. Man, I'll tell you at that moment I was *very* glad I didn't spring for the $29 Curtis potentiometer! So I have an extra little project for tomorrow.

We're going to try to mount the rest of the hardware (contactors, fuse, shunt) on some kind of platform above the transaxle.

And that bungee cord connected to the top battery rack? It's holding up the forward end of the electrical conduit I put under the car on the weekend. Now that we know where the controller is going to be, it can be cut off at the proper length to run the cables where they need to go.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget